Thread: BMW's plastic coated leather

My Cars
    2001 330i

BMW's plastic coated leather

So what every BMW did to coat their leather I have to be grateful for. At 277,000 miles my interior is still mint, I sometimes just stair at the seats and wonder how the lasted so long.

I'v been using Mothers VLP to keep them hydrated but it seems with the plastic coating on the seats it never really penetrates.
    Do others just keep cleaning/conditioning anyway? Do you find it helps? Its so humid in Vermont I wonder if I even need to do it at all.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Your seats are probably vinyl

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Nine! At 42,000 dollars I dont think so. Its true e46 have a thin plastic (or somehting like that) coating that makes treating them difficult.

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    At 115,000 miles when I bought my 2005 zhp, the leather seats were/are in pretty bad condition. They are at my absolute bottom of "acceptable". Previous owner clearly didn't care for them

The rest of the interior is great.

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red
    2004 E46 325 M56 Steel Metallic Blue - Sold

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
    Nine! At 42,000 dollars I dont think so. Its true e46 have a thin plastic (or somehting like that) coating that makes treating them difficult.
    Many BMWs come with a pleather material. Feels and looks like leather (certainly doesnt feel fake like most vinyl seats) but lasts way longer. My 2003 Z4 has vinyl seats but they look and feel exactly like real leather. BMW does a good job at not advertising it as being fake, I believe they call it Leatherette or on the newer models, Sensatec .

I am not aware of any plastic coating BMW puts on their seats. Some of their newer leathers in their convertibles have a leather with a special coating that I believe is worked into the dye, and the purpose of this coating is to serve to reflect the sun and heat, as opposed to absorbing it. This is called SunReflective leather. But this is on the newer models only and to my knowledge mostly (or exclusively) for convertible models.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Real BMW leather does not have a coating and is not difficult to treat with leather products. You most likely have leatherette which was popular in the e46. Sorry to burst your bubble.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I don't really care if mine's leather or leatherette, but how would I determine that? Sure seems like leather to me. (it's an '03 325i) I did think all E46s were leather, interesting.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    OP doesn't know his seats aren't leather.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I know^ lol nine to you. Vinyl, leatherette same shit. And at 42000 yes it can still be vinyl

My Cars
    2001 330i
    What really? I know some came with cloth seats but I can't believe they would use vinyl. If you look at the other side, bottom of seats if it looks like suede then its real leather right? It really looks like leather, not like my e30 which definitely looks like vinyl and is. Its got grain like leather, how does one tell for sure?

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Post the last 7 of your VIN and I can tell you for sure what material was used to upholster your interior...
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
    What really? I know some came with cloth seats but I can't believe they would use vinyl. If you look at the other side, bottom of seats if it looks like suede then its real leather right? It really looks like leather, not like my e30 which definitely looks like vinyl and is. Its got grain like leather, how does one tell for sure?
    Its called leatherette and not vinyl for a reason. It is a vinyl, but its designed to look like leather - with a grain pattern embossed on it and the right characteristics to feel like leather.

I can all but guarantee yours is leatherette just by the fact its a high-mileage vehicle with a good condition interior. The leatherette is nothing to be ashamed of, imho its the best of both worlds, the ease of maintenance of cloth and the comfort of leather. The fact you never noticed it wasnt leather until now is a testament to how close to the real stuff it is.

Plus real BMW leather soaks up leather cleaning products, vinyl obviously wont

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2001 330i
    So one of the reasons I don't realize its letherette is because it isnt.

IMG_0170.JPGIMG_0151.JPG

Premium package, and yes 277,000 miles strong. The reason they are in such great shape is the original owner kept incredible good care for the car.
    Just goes to show what happens when you take good care of something. Too funny everyone thought they would have to be vinyl to last so long, don't forget it is a BMW.

Ok so anyway after that hijacking (myself to blame as well), there may not be a plastic coating but the pores are closed I believe. Maybe I shouldn't be using Mothers and something a bit better.
    I guess it seems to soak in, maybe just the product I am using.
    Last edited by spacecase; 07-17-2014 at 02:24 PM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Any chance the seats were Scotchgarded sometime in the past?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    You know that may be a real possibility. He plastic dipped the cup holder and a few other pieces so something like that is not out of the question. You can kinda see that sheen they have to them almost looks coated. I am also wondering if he may have used Armor al on them, I know your not to use that on leather. I still cant get over the fact they used vinyl in their cars. Nice Z4!

My Cars
    z3
    Armor all will not last that long. Scotchguard is a very real possibility if they are real leather but the PO would have coated it right before selling it otherwise that stuff fades in time too.

Does the grain pattern and stitching on the rear seats match that on the front?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    I believe the easiest way to tell on the E46 is the headrests... IIRC leatherette has a very tight fit on the headrests, especially on the backside of the headrests. Leather has a looser, almost saggy fit.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Having a suede/fuzzy back side =/= leather

Post the last 7 of the vin or google 'bmw vin decoder' and find out for sure

Sent from my thumbs to your eyes.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Yup same grain as in back but worn a bit, kinda smooth. Taking the headrest off you can see the suede right by where the post mount into the headrest.
    But this thread really isn't about wether I have leather or not.

I did read BMW coated their leather but then others seem to not think so. I have also read where they say the pores are "closed". When I spray on the mothers it does absorb, but it doesn't seem to leave it any more supple or soft (or maybe conditioned). Anyone else use this newer mother product "VLP", somthing in that order vinyl (WHICH I DON'T HAVE) leather (WHAT I HAVE) and plastic (which I have some of)?

IMG_0171.JPG

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    Those seats do look good. One possible explanation for the product sitting on the surface is that the leather is already hydrated and there is nowhere for the product to go. I treat my leather twice a year, no more, and it takes only a couple of hours for it to soak it. If it takes longer than that, maybe you are wasting your time and "overtreating" your seats. Not that it would matter much.

Given your results it's hard to suggest a change, but I don't have a good opinion of Mother's, in general. Lexol is a good product, and so it Leatherique. I rub it in with my hands, let it sit overnight, then buff it a little the next day. Spring and fall.

My Cars
    z3
    Real BMW leather will absorb a good amount of cleaning products. I have never seen a BMW that did not enjoy a nice bath in leather conditioner. I've seen several cars that drank it all up and needed another application.

Just FWIW, Premium package during that year does NOT include leather. It should say "Incl. Leather" if it has it. There are ways to check if its real leather but I can't tell for sure one way or the other based on your pictures.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS