Thread: Flickering batter light but alternator/battery test ok

My Cars
    2003 325ci

Flickering batter light but alternator/battery test ok

Hey all,

I have a 2003 325ci with about 140K miles on it. So far no major problems. The only thing that's needed to be replaced is the alternator last year. Recently the battery light has started flickering sporadically. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Gassing it, slowing down, up shift, down shift, turning on/off the air conditioning, radio, etc. does make the flicker better or worse. The car is also running fine--unlike last year about 2 weeks before the alternator went out. Then, the battery light would flicker, the car would randomly lose power and then gain it back, the radio would turn off, and it would stall even in neutral. Finally it totally shut down. When the battery started flickering this time, we automatically assumed that it was either the alternator or the battery going dead. We thought possibly the battery since it is 5 years old and the alternator is only 1 year old. We've taken it to be tested, however, and both the battery and alternator passed the test with no issues so they are apparently not the problem.

Any ideas what might be happening? I should say that the passenger side door has started randomly not unlocking when you press the buttons (in the car or on the key) and the passenger mirror will randomly turn upward on its own. Obviously some kind of electrical problem is happening on that side of the car. Maybe this has something to do with it? Or maybe not. Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Did you replace the alternator with an alternator rebuilt by Bosch? Or did you pick it up at an AutoZone type store?