Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes

My Cars
    2000 540i

Thumbs up Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes

Hey guys,

So with the summer here and car season in full flight, here are my Top 10 Mistakes People Make When Cleaning Their Car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_-SNSnByg

Let me know what you think!
    **Also, if the video was helpful, give it a “thumbs up” on YouTube (it helps me out, thanks)***

Also, I would like to hear any car cleaning mistakes you guys know of!
    Last edited by dogfish246; 07-10-2014 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    Ducati, Miata, Subie
    A mistake I see is vacuuming the interior after the car has been washed. This gets dust & debris on the paint and if the car is still wet, you'll run those bits over the clear coat when/if you dry.

Another common mistake is due to ostrich syndrome; people forget their door jams & rain channels under the good and trunk.

And we've all seen purple faded tint, right? Ammonia based glass cleaners are a no-no.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    I agree with everything in the video except for the interior dressing bit. It's okay to dress your steering wheel and shifter, just don't put anything on the pedals. Unless you're using anal lube to dress the interior, you shouldn't worry about having a super slippery steering wheel/shifter.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Thanks for the youtube video.

My mistake is washing the car first and the wheels after... Haha
    and vacuuming the interior after the car wash.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by asianguy1989 View Post
    My mistake is washing the car first and the wheels after...
    I use a different sponge for the wheels, and also rinse out the buckets after doing the wheels, then do the car.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    Golf 5
    Very nice
    -If You are in Belgrade, and you need a car, rent a car, if desired. Stars rent a car offers a very high quality vehicle, or you check our new Rent a car company: Rent a car Beograd Aerodrom

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I'm guilty of a few of these.

My Cars
    00 540iT/6, 98 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltoman View Post
    I agree with everything in the video except for the interior dressing bit. It's okay to dress your steering wheel and shifter, just don't put anything on the pedals. Unless you're using anal lube to dress the interior, you shouldn't worry about having a super slippery steering wheel/shifter.
    Am I the only one that does?

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darxide View Post
    Am I the only one that does?
    I'd say that the probability is very high.

My Cars
    15' GMC 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltoman View Post

That's probably the secret product that guy has been using to keep his leather in good condition for over 270k miles.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by freeagnt54 View Post
    That's probably the secret product that guy has been using to keep his leather in good condition for over 270k miles.
    Could it be? :o

My Cars
    e46 BMW HellRot 325i
    I like to let people know to always buy the strainer buckets they are awesome. They have little strainers on the bottom that are used to keep the sponge or cleaning item you are using away from the dirt. Also use 2 buckets, Always one with clean water and one with soap.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    That was great thanks for posting.

AmorAll on leather I heard was bad.

My Cars
    00 740i S,08 CRV,95
    Nicely done! I wish more people would watch and actually listen. I know time was limited on the video so you can't tell folks everything.... I reguarly use a sponge with ONR. Sure, it is a sponge made just for this purpose which is an important distinction. Cleaning in a swirling motion is a definiate no-no as you said. I go up and down on the sides and back to front on the upper surfaces. If fine marring is introduced it is optically much less noticable. Drying, I sheat or blot. Then with a QW or QD finish it off. I generally don't dress interior surfaces at all. Clean and condition you bet (but not until vacuumed) but not dress.

Still, many of those weekend warriors out there should listen up!

Just last weekend I was out having lunch. It just down poured rain and one of the cars was a black Caddy CTS. Owner grabs a couple of kitchen towels and begins wiping it down (scrubbing is a better way to put it). I asked him what he was doing and rather indignantly replies 'Cleaning my car!' all the while looking at me like I am the idiot. His paint was HAMMERED. I could see swirls and rids in the paint 20 feet away, no problem.

Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes

One tip I have for you is. Remove the tags from the microfiber rags and especially the drying cloth. They can scratch the clear coat. Great job on the video though!

My Cars
    97 m3
    niceeeeee! good job