Thread: Mobility Kit, cables, other "safety" related accessories... any thoughts?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325 (E30), red, excellent condition

Question Mobility Kit, cables, other "safety" related accessories... any thoughts?

Hi -

I have two factory orders currently on the line and unmodifiable for cars for my wife and myself. I am getting a 3er and my wife an X5, both very nicely equipped 2014 model year cars. As context, she is pregnant and we are expecting our first (a girl who will be pushing the pedals of her first BMW in about 16 1/2 years) on October 5. She chose to not have the space saver spare in her X5, and neither of us are opting for run flat tires. Being that we will be taking some road trips in these cars with a baby in tow in the coming years, safety is of great importance. We have AAA memberships in case we need a tow, but in some situations, if either of us has a flat with a kiddo in tow we would like to have as much peace of mind as possible when driving around and potentially be able to fix issues more quickly if needed. I was looking into mobility kits including the BMW mobility kit and some cheaper alternatives. Have any of you had experience with such kits? Is there any compelling reason to buy the relatively very expensive BMW kit over another?

Relatedly, this is actually the first car I have ever purchased since my original car which I have been driving to this day - my cinnabar red E30 '87 325 with beige interior, which still runs like a champ. The new 328i is being purchased with the baby in mind (no more manual transmission or 1980's safety standards while baby in car). With the new cars, would jumpers or other safety-related accessories be prudent in your opinion? I do have a couple of first aid kits to throw in the back but was hoping for more insight from those of you who have done this before.

Thanks for any help you can give!

- Ross

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I have AAA, a bottle of that fix-a-flat stuff and a portable (plugs into cigarette lighter) air pump. If you wanted to maximize, I'd suggest also getting run flats. In the US, it's hard (by car) to go many hours from civilization or another passing car.

I go on car trips to remote areas (ID, MT, WY, WA, OR, UT), but I still see the occasional house or other passing cars. Considering you're in SC, unless you're planning on a trip out west (ID, MT, ND, etc), you should be good anywhere on the eastern seaboard or midwest. Even in the remote areas I've been, I've always figured I could hike out in a few hours to something, a town, house, cel service. Winter would be different of course - I always go in the summer, bring some water.
    Last edited by montaillou; 07-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Buy the spare tire. It takes forever to inflate a tire, especially a big one, with some weenie little compressor. If the tire is damaged badly your mobility kit is worthless.

A first aid kit is great if you know what to do with it.
    Last edited by ross1; 07-11-2014 at 06:21 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Get regular tires and a full size spare. Run flats ride terrible and chances are you aren't going to be running from a crazy gunman over nails to need to be able to get away.

My Cars
    545i, 740i, 320i
    I've been driving for 20 years and only had one flat tyre in that time. None of my cars have a spare tyre and I can't say I give it a second thought. I have Roadside Rescue in case anything goes wrong and to be honest driving BMWs the tyres are the least likely thing to leave me stranded

My Cars
    z3
    Get a real spare if you are worried about wanting to fix it on the side of the road, those mobile kits are more of a band-aid to limp you 20 miles to a dealer versus being able to repair a problem to help you go another 200 or so miles when your in the middle of nowhere.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    It takes forever to inflate a tire, especially a big one, with some weenie little compressor.
    If by "forever" you mean, maybe a minute, then yes, it takes FOR-EVER!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    If by "forever" you mean, maybe a minute, then yes, it takes FOR-EVER!
    Obviously you have never inflated a completely flat tire to a normal (30ish psi) pressure using a portable compressor ... it takes forever. It takes a minute even with a giant compressor with a tank ...

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Yeah those tiny portable compressors take 10-15 mins to inflate a normal tire. You can pump the tires much faster with a foot pump. Or just put the spare tire in half the time.

Besides, tire goo and pump is useless if the tire has a sidewall damage or a damage that can't be filled with a glue.
    AAA/roadside assistance is great, but why would you want to be stranded and get the car towed for just a flat tire?

My advice would be to buy a spare tire for X5 (I'm assuming it'll be your roadtrip car), and buy jumper cables for both
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    jumper cables are great if you leave the lights on, you'll probably never need it for either new car though. The spare tire is something that is a preference. If you don't mind missing work or not making a trip then you're ok with the pump and AAA card. My biggest concern would be that BMW roadside takes you to the nearest BMW dealership which could be way out of your way.

In the event of a major tire failure:

If you're coming home from a weekend trip on a Sunday, you're not actually going to make it home till Monday and that's only if the dealership has the right size tire in stock. You'll also be forced to pay dealership pricing for a tire (I work for a dealership, we're not cheap). It's cheaper to buy the spare and throw it in there when you go on a long trip.

My daily driver is a jeep wrangler, my spare sits in my garage for regular use. When I go on a long trip or go wheeling, I mount the spare back onto the jeep so that I'm not at the mercy of anyone else. I recommend you do the same.

I'd rather be late to the party and dirty then not make it at all.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325 (E30), red, excellent condition
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter View Post
    jumper cables are great if you leave the lights on, you'll probably never need it for either new car though. The spare tire is something that is a preference. If you don't mind missing work or not making a trip then you're ok with the pump and AAA card. My biggest concern would be that BMW roadside takes you to the nearest BMW dealership which could be way out of your way.

In the event of a major tire failure:

If you're coming home from a weekend trip on a Sunday, you're not actually going to make it home till Monday and that's only if the dealership has the right size tire in stock. You'll also be forced to pay dealership pricing for a tire (I work for a dealership, we're not cheap). It's cheaper to buy the spare and throw it in there when you go on a long trip.

My daily driver is a jeep wrangler, my spare sits in my garage for regular use. When I go on a long trip or go wheeling, I mount the spare back onto the jeep so that I'm not at the mercy of anyone else. I recommend you do the same.

I'd rather be late to the party and dirty then not make it at all.
    This makes sense... and if you work for a dealership you may know about this, too. The first three years this car will be leased and I will likely change over to purchase the car using the difference after that. If the car is leased and I get a flat during a trip, to not breach the terms of the lease would I be required to have the tire change/repair done at a BMW dealership? Would it work if I supplied the tire (i.e. if I had it in the back of the car like you are talking about)?

Speaking of the dirty vs not at all for the party... On the way from a very fancy engagement party a year ago, a tire blew on her jeep... her dad and I got out, got our hands very dirty and greasy (and by proxy our suits) and took care of it. We might have looked a mess, but we sure had good stories to share...

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossodio View Post
    If the car is leased and I get a flat during a trip, to not breach the terms of the lease would I be required to have the tire change/repair done at a BMW dealership? Would it work if I supplied the tire (i.e. if I had it in the back of the car like you are talking about)?
    you're not required to have the dealership service your car, repair your car or maintain your car. You are required to do all the above but at a location of your choice including your driveway. If you get into an accident, they expect it to be repaired properly. If you blow a tire out, you're required to replace that tire with a comparable quality tire of the same size and performance catagory....no Wanli tires in lieu of your Dunlops. You can always bring your steak to the restaurant (if you get my drift), just don't kid yourself that the dealership will love yourself.

You're liable for the tires being in good condition (repairs are ok, worn past their service threshold is not), there is a wear and tear clause for things like stains, small dings and dents but it usually doesn't cover tires.

Bottom line: you're expected to take care of the car as your own while you have it, if you don't they'll just bill you for it. If you're planning on buying it out at the end of the lease as you mentioned, you'll be happy that you took care of the car the right way from the start.

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    This past Saturday noon I hit a pothole and destroyed one of my run flats in Waterville, ME. No one near Waterville carries run flats in my size (335xi). Closest might have been the Portland area BMW dealer - 80 miles away and their service/parts dept had closed for the weekend. I had a spare mounted run flat but it was at home in MA. I had meant to relocate to my cottage on the ME coast for the summer but had not done it yet. My cottage would still have been 80 miles away but at least the tire would have been available. Yeah, AAA would have towed me to Portland at $3 per mile after the first 5 - so, $200+ but then I would have had to wait until the dealer opened on Monday.

Yeah you can run a (non-destoyed) run flat without air but then you have to replace it. I think some places will not fix run flats.

Fortunately my runcraps had worn down to the point were they were close to replacement time and fortunately the Waterville Tires for Less Warehouse was open and had a set of 4 Goodyear Eagle Sport tires in my size for $682 mounted. These have a higher speed and weight and tread life rating than the Contis. They are relatively new and I guess replace the Eagle GT models. The ride is much softer and I am not sure of the handling yet - seems Ok but I haven't pushed it (yet). But if I ever blow a tire again out in the boonies on a holiday or weekend there's a better chance I can get just one acceptable tire that would not ruin my transmission and would get me home. Runflats may be Ok is if you just drive in urban areas and even there not from Saturday afternoon to Monday morning.

My advice: unless handling is paramount don't get run flats and if you have them, replace them when they first wear out.

My question on the mobility kit is whether the goo is superior to carrying a plug.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post

My question on the mobility kit is whether the goo is superior to carrying a plug.
    The goo will only fill small holes. I used to use Tire Slime in my trailer tires and they'd be good for small nails but go through a construction yard without plugs and you'll be crying. A decent sized screw or nail may defeat the goo's capability in sealing the hole.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post
    Yeah, AAA would have towed me to Portland at $3 per mile after the first 5...
    "AAA+" will tow free the first 100 miles. I think it's maybe $30 more a year than the standard AAA. Your insurance may also have this service.

By the way, if you haven't already, you may wish to contact the state about the repair cost for your tire/wheel. Some states will compensate drivers.

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    Thanks for encouraging me to report this. I doubt it will do any good.

Now that I have normal tires I guess I will look into AAA plus.

The tires were down to about 4mm anyway and were due for replacement. The tire shop said the rim was OK. Once i gave the tire shop the go ahead they got the new tires on quickly and I was on my way.

I had seriously considered switching from RFTs anyway and this just forced my hand. I just would have liked to research and review switching and to have a choice of tire brand. Now that I have had the non-RFTs for a few days I am happy. The ride is much better and the handling is acceptable. Don't know about snow yet. The Goodyear Eagle Sports are new to the market but all early reports seem to be favorable so I am happy with my Hobson's choice.

I was mainly thinking about a future situation. I always carried an air pump and an upgraded lug wrench and now I have ordered a plug kit. I am going to re-evaluate my jack. I am not sure if AAA would plug the a hole for me, but I guess I could always do that myself if need be. My concern now is not having a spare and what to do if a tire blows. I think that is rare nowadays and I think RFTs don't blow as often as normal tires as the rubber is much thicker. I drove 70 miles on the blown tire at divided highway speeds before I got a low pressure warning. (I know I should have checked the tire after hitting the pothole, but I didn't.) i guess short of filling my trunk with a spare there are no good options.

- - - Updated - - -

AAA won't do plugs. Here's their reply:

Thanks for the question.

AAA follows industry accepted practices in providing road service.

The Rubber Manufacturer's Association http://www.rma.org/, recommends that,," A rubber stem, or plug, must be applied to fill the puncture injury and a patch must be applied to seal the inner liner. A common repair unit is a one-piece unit with a stem and patch portion. A plug by itself is an unacceptable repair."

Factory supplied sealants may be used as temporary repairs. As you mention aftermarket sealants can damage the tire, tire pressure monitor sensors, void the manufacturer's warranty, and can create a safety hazard for service personnel.

Because of all of the above, we don't recommend road side tire repairs.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossodio View Post
    Hi -

I have two factory orders currently on the line and unmodifiable for cars for my wife and myself. I am getting a 3er and my wife an X5, both very nicely equipped 2014 model year cars. As context, she is pregnant and we are expecting our first (a girl who will be pushing the pedals of her first BMW in about 16 1/2 years) on October 5. She chose to not have the space saver spare in her X5, and neither of us are opting for run flat tires. Being that we will be taking some road trips in these cars with a baby in tow in the coming years, safety is of great importance. We have AAA memberships in case we need a tow, but in some situations, if either of us has a flat with a kiddo in tow we would like to have as much peace of mind as possible when driving around and potentially be able to fix issues more quickly if needed. I was looking into mobility kits including the BMW mobility kit and some cheaper alternatives. Have any of you had experience with such kits? Is there any compelling reason to buy the relatively very expensive BMW kit over another?

Relatedly, this is actually the first car I have ever purchased since my original car which I have been driving to this day - my cinnabar red E30 '87 325 with beige interior, which still runs like a champ. The new 328i is being purchased with the baby in mind (no more manual transmission or 1980's safety standards while baby in car). With the new cars, would jumpers or other safety-related accessories be prudent in your opinion? I do have a couple of first aid kits to throw in the back but was hoping for more insight from those of you who have done this before.

Thanks for any help you can give!

- Ross
    i was curious about this new product...

http://www.bellautomotive.com/v/vspf...ndgo/main.html

i dont use FLT so i always try to carry a set of plugs with me and an air compressor

and i was thinking about a jumper box and came across this... pretty cool you can use it as a power bank for your Iphon,e Android , laptop etc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkdswRRgITE
    Last edited by rob22sf; 08-01-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ross, congratz on the baby girl. She'll have your heart forever. Mine does, and now my granddaughter does. I love them!!