Thread: Help! Leaking transmission fluid?

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i/6

Help! Leaking transmission fluid?

So I just got home from work and I noticed that my car was leaking fluid. I touched it on the ground and it felt kind of oily in my hands. The car hasn't been running or idling rough in my opinion. It is also 80F outside today so Im not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Is this an issue that I need to take care of immediatly? Or will it sort itself out/ get to it when I can. Here are some pictures of where it is to help identify the locations and what it is.

http://i.imgur.com/bPqgxfR.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/TzF0lqM.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/gicsziu.jpg
    Last edited by Maxa5; 07-05-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Link for picture was wrong

My Cars
    2004 330i, 1993 520i
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxa5 View Post
    So I just got home from work and I noticed that my car was leaking fluid. I touched it on the ground and it felt kind of oily in my hands. The car hasn't been running or idling rough in my opinion. It is also 80F outside today so Im not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Is this an issue that I need to take care of immediatly? Or will it sort itself out/ get to it when I can. Here are some pictures of where it is to help identify the locations and what it is.
    All that fluid came from your car? That's too much!

I would jack it up for a better look. It looks clear so it may not be the transmission fluid, is your car manual or auto?
    Can you also kindly post a pic of the leak puddle without the car?

I would NOT drive it until you check it out or visit a doctor...

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i Sport
    Well, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's not going to "sort itself out". Leaking components seldom heal themselves.

From those pictures the fluid looks yellow-greenish to me -- what does that match up to, when looking at your car's fluids? Is your coolant/antifreeze greenish (or is it the BMW blue stuff)?

You really ought to not drive the car until you have the issue identified and, preferably, fixed. Unless you like getting stranded, and spending more money when a cascade of failures follows the original part failure.

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW IDFR View Post
    All that fluid came from your car? That's too much!

I would jack it up for a better look. It looks clear so it may not be the transmission fluid, is your car manual or auto?
    Can you also kindly post a pic of the leak puddle without the car?

I would NOT drive it until you check it out or visit a doctor...

Yeah it did come from my car I will go outside and take a picture of the puddle. It is a manual and sadly I dont have jacks yet.... IM still trying to figure out what it matches I havent been able to find where it is coming from.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Looks like washer fluid lol

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Looks like washer fluid lol
    is that possible? Cause honestly that was one of my first thoughts.... my sprayers don't currently work so maybe they are leaking? also I am having a difficult time finding the transmission fluid area... really really brand new to cars and especially this one but bought it to learn as much as I can. Also does anyone know here to purchase a new one of these covers? Mine seems to have broken upon me screwing it back on (silly 20 year old plastic) http://i.imgur.com/KwUyKNl.jpg it is "secure" but where can I get a new one?

Here is the spill under the car. Currently blocked in so I can not move it. http://i.imgur.com/hNC7snt.jpg http://i.imgur.com/NWHn7Ro.jpg

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    On seeing the pics, I don't think it is washer fluid. There is way too much of it and the washer bottle is located above the dry area.

It looks like it may have dropped onto the bell housing on the driver's side and run down. Is it possible something else was disturbed or broke when you were working on the water valves? No disrespect - as you say, it is 20 year old plastic. Maybe use get a mirror on a stick if you cant see?

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    On seeing the pics, I don't think it is washer fluid. There is way too much of it and the washer bottle is located above the dry area.

It looks like it may have dropped onto the bell housing on the driver's side and run down. Is it possible something else was disturbed or broke when you were working on the water valves? No disrespect - as you say, it is 20 year old plastic. Maybe use get a mirror on a stick if you cant see?
    I was never working on the water valves before this happened which is kind of the problem.... and no disrespect taken even if I did this haha. I guess I will be getting one of those soon then or just bite the bullet and get jacks. I am also in need of an oil change could these two be related?

- - - Updated - - -

IT is coolant!! i just checked the coolant container (can't think of the right term) but it was the same color and texture.

My Cars
    N/A
    Yeah that looks just like my coolant puddle I have in my driveway (fan nicked my upper rad hose)

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykick5 View Post
    Yeah that looks just like my coolant puddle I have in my driveway (fan nicked my upper rad hose)

Did you fix it right away? Can I still drive as long as I add coolant?

My Cars
    N/A
    Well it's been the holiday weekend so I haven't got the part yet but I did drive 100 miles on it. Don't recommend that, though. Get that leak fixed quick.

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i Sport

Playing with fire...

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by ancho View Post
    Playing with fire...

I know this is just the worst week for this to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so I added water to my expansion tank and drove around my neighborhood and when I parked and lifted the hood I immediately found the leak. It is a hose!!! I found the part on realOEM. None of my local auto parts stores have it so I guess im ordering it online. Has anyone had any experience with Rein automotive or URO parts? I dont feel its necessary to go full BMW OEM and spend $$$ also once it is on do I add coolant to the expansion tank?