Thread: My S52'd 318ti Weekend/AutoX car! (Ongoing thread)

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix

My S52'd 318ti Weekend/AutoX car! (Ongoing thread)

NOTE: Find more recent pictures and more updates on my insta: @coolpersob

A brief history. My first car was an e30 passed down to me when I turned 16.

I wrecked it when I was 17.

After saving up some money, I bought a beater e28.

Although good looking, it had some engine and body issues. I sold that, and bought my ex-neighbors e28.

Great engine, great interior, but rusty doors and fenders. I sold that because I didn't have time to fix the rust myself. Then, I started searching into 318ti's because I wanted to swap the engine, but I soon realized that I didnt have the time nor budget to do that. Soon, I was scouring these forums for 318ti's with previous swaps already. I came across this car in Wisconsin.

So I flew 1300 miles to Wisconsin from florida, and drove it home. Since then, I've fallen in love. This thread will show my progress with upgrading the car, for my personal pleasure, as well as others (I hope!). So, enjoy a picture heavy thread! Here are some more pics of when I first got the car, and the drive home:

Follow me on insta for daily updates: @coolpersob
    Last edited by coolpersob; 03-05-2015 at 10:13 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3/328i-'74/'76 02s
    Love it - looks nice and stock other than the wheels. Time to deal with Airbag, Brake pad wear, Check Engine, and ABS lights...
    --
    '74 tii
    '76 02
    '97 328i
    '97 m3
    http://www.bmw2002.net

My Cars
    E36 320i '91
    Man, that thing must fly with the S52
    So sad about the E30, looked beautiful

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Very nice! There aren't many ti's set up for autocross. I'm setting mine up for minimal STX prep. I'll look forward to your updates to see how you decide to set up yours.

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerry2002 View Post
    Love it - looks nice and stock other than the wheels. Time to deal with Airbag, Brake pad wear, Check Engine, and ABS lights...
    ABS is incompatible with the s52 swap. Some bad sensor must be signaling the check engine, because the PO said it hasn't had a hiccup in months. Brake pads are good, and I don't care about a passenger airbag, haha.

To everyone else, I am also excited to update everyone. This car will be treated nicely, trust me!

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    So within the first couple weeks, I already made some effort to clean up the car. Firstly, I removed the hideous chrome window switch trim and replaced it with some OEM black.

Then, because my car had no traction control or ASC, I deleted the switch to the left of steering column.

New emblems:

New computer clock:

and removed the adhesive on the windows, and from stickers inside the car:

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    Alright, time to update this thread. So much work has been done, and so many pictures to upload...

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    Within a couple weeks of buying the car, went to an autocross event

However, I didn't get very far before my cooling system blew up.

Only means I get to do a cooling overhaul, every e36 owner's dream..
    Rusty old coolant:

Aluminum racing radiatior, mishimoto silicone hoses and racing thermostat, aluminum water pump, aluminum thermostat housing, and bmw coolant. Note: I had a phantom leak for the next couple months, which I never fixed. Eventually, I found it to be the t-stat housing, so I cleaned the gasket, and gave it some RTV liquid gasket. Sealed the sucker right up, I would recommend this procedure for anyone doing this overhaul.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the autocross video. Has clips from my Dad's runs mixed in, and I caught the coolant explosion on film too...

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Thought this all looked familiar, then I realized I follow you on insta lol.