Thread: '88M3. What's it worth, in today's market?

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i

'88M3. What's it worth, in today's market?

Let me start by saying, that I am not selling my M3. A fellow enthusiast and I, where discussing the now, ridiculous values of 1st generation M3's and the "what do you think yours is worth?" question came up. So, I'm really only asking here, so that I can perhaps, answer that question. I'll list the details/fixes/mods, to obtain the closest estimate. Due to it being a partially-sponsored build, aftermarket manufacturer's/tuner's names can't be mentioned, until I do an official build thread. With that out of the way, It's an '88 D-schwartz M3 with 88k on the clock/chassis. It has no visible body imperfections or rust(paint is original and 9/9.5 out of 10) although previously, it had some rust (sunroof drain, in rear wheel-well and jack-wells) professionally repaired and it did meet a fire-hydrant (original owner's fault) which wrinkled the driver's side subframe/frame horn, forward of the strut-tower. That damage was also professionally repaired and is basically invisible/unnoticeable(all body panels/gaps are good), even with the fenders/grilles removed. Now, on to the fun stuff! Engine; s62 from '00 M5(90k), 5-speed trans from an e34 540i, clutch and flywheel are aftermarket "stage 2". Suspension; e36 M3 front knuckles/brakes, e36 318ti rear trailing arms/brakes, aftermarket coilovers. Interior; cardinal red( not original) mtech 2 steering wheel, charcoal suede headliner. Exterior; aftermarket fg/carbon evo wing, aftermarket evo front bumper cover, aftermarket carbon fiber front fenders(painted to match body) Other; aftermarket clutch/brake pedals, remote-mount(engine bay) reservoirs. Wheels; aftermarket 3-piece, staggered, mesh 18x9 fronts, 18x11 rears with 215/45 front and 245/40 rear tires. I realize that not knowing exactly which aftermarket parts are on the car, will influence the estimated value so, just ballpark it. Remember, this is just for the sake of conversation so, 100% accuracy is not necessary. Feel free to ask questions about anything I haven't mentioned, if you need to
    Last edited by Jroc81; 07-01-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    The 80's were the best. Period.

My Cars
    GTS, E30
    Is it a salvage title?

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by M62pwrdE38 View Post
    Is it a salvage title?
    Nope. Clean title

My Cars
    z3
    Almost every mod you have detracts value even if it is an "upgrade" to the car. People who pay big money for these want originality. As it sits, probably $15-$20K. Assuming you revert it to stock... if your honest about the damage probably $20-25K, if you hide it and pass it off as a mint no-repair no-accident car, up to $30K.

These cars have stopped appreciating for a couple years now. They regularly sell for about $15-30K. $30k is pretty much where most of them get listed and I see them sell for $25-30k for cars with similar miles to yours in good original condition. The engine swap does not add value to almost anyone except you. Engine swapped E30 M3's with similar miles to yours sell for $15-20K

Personally I think the collectible 1M has really hurt the values of these cars substantially. Some collectors ditched their M3's to get a newer 1M in true mint condition, hoping for a long-term investment off the 1M. Other "collectible" BMWs have also aged to where the non-modded examples are worth a decent penny, notably the Z3M Coupe. For a long time the E30 M3 was seen as the only collectible BMW but with the other models I've mentioned that has become untrue and caused the M3's to stop appreciating. Just my .02 and mostly conjecture

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i
    ^honesty appreciated. The listed damage/repairs are accurate and for the purpose of discussion, the majority of the non-stock "upgrades" were sourced because this was a shell, when I acquired it. I realize that the engine swap and some of the other mods will detract from the value, for the majority of any perspective buyers. Like I said; just trying to figure out, how to answer my friend

My Cars
    z3
    $18k if its pretty $16k if it needs some cosmetic TLC

There ya go

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    These cars have stopped appreciating for a couple years now.
    It's funny you say that, because I feel like 2-3 years ago, they were more realistically priced than they were say, a year ago

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jroc81 View Post
    It's funny you say that, because I feel like 2-3 years ago, they were more realistically priced than they were say, a year ago
    Define "realistically priced"

They've been at about the same prices the past few years as I've seen them. If anything they may have depreciated a small amount the past few years.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    98 M3
    I've consistently been looking for an e30 m3 (basically dreaming until my wife is done school) and it seems very much like the price for the garbage cars has gone up, and the price for the quite good (not amazing mint examples) cars has gone down. People are buying 20k rust buckets not knowing what they are getting into when you can get a good quality car for high 20's. That being said, in the fairly near future I will have 30k to spend on one, so I hope prices stay consistent or drop. The reality is that if it goes up, its just simply not nearly good enough of a car to warrant the price.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    '17 GTI,'99 M3,'86 190E
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    The reality is that if it goes up, its just simply not nearly good enough of a car to warrant the price.
    I'd argue that it's not nearly a good enough car to warrant even $30k...

20? maybe. 30? eh.... lots of other cars out there.

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i
    Define "realistically priced"

They've been at about the same prices the past few years as I've seen them. If anything they may have depreciated a small amount the past few years.
    Back in 2010-2011, good condition original cars were 15-20k(Mileage dependent, of course), o.k. condition cars were 12-15k and projects/tlc cars were 9-12k. In fact, I knew of one particular car in similar condition to mine, with similar mileage that was all original and had a blown s14, that had trouble selling at 7950, from back in late '09. 'Was even hit/repaired in the same place.

My Cars
    z3
    ^^ I think prices will settle back down to that price range soon. They are good cars, but I really do not feel they are collectible like many view them. Theres been sort of a price bubble on these cars, and I expect it to collapse, for better or worse. I would love to own one, but would rather buy a beat one for $10k and go from there. I'd never pay more than $15K for a car that old, unless it has something really special going for it, and though the E30 M3 is a blast to drive, the E36 M3 isnt a slouch and is also a thrilling driving experience. I think if we got euro engined E36 M3's then E30 M3 values would never have gone up to where they did

Also something to consider is that these cars are now available for import via the US 25 year law so this will negatively affect prices of cars over here.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i
    ^i hope you're right. I'd love to own a couple more of these, but the beat/project car owners, trying to get 15k for their cars, are smoking something(read; artificially inflating values). Like you, I won't pay 15k for a car I'm gonna have to tear into, or 10k for a roller. Mothaf*ckas be high as hell, these days.

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i

My Cars
    M3, 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jroc81 View Post
    Yikes! GLWS

^^ I think prices will settle back down to that price range soon. They are good cars, but I really do not feel they are collectible like many view them. Theres been sort of a price bubble on these cars, and I expect it to collapse, for better or worse. I would love to own one, but would rather buy a beat one for $10k and go from there. I'd never pay more than $15K for a car that old, unless it has something really special going for it, and though the E30 M3 is a blast to drive, the E36 M3 isnt a slouch and is also a thrilling driving experience. I think if we got euro engined E36 M3's then E30 M3 values would never have gone up to where they did

Also something to consider is that these cars are now available for import via the US 25 year law so this will negatively affect prices of cars over here.
    I agree with this post. So many people shit on the U.S. e36 M3's and de-value them as if they're no better than a 328 yet so many guys will swap the s52 into e30's and mark the price way up as a result of it. Being an e36 M owner I can say they are awesome cars but you're right, without the euro s50b30 they just don't get any respect. I can't wait until the early euro e36 Ms become 25 years old, I plan to import one. I think the e36 M needed more distinction from the average 325/328is like the rest of the M models, also they shouldn't have produced so many.

I love the e30 M3, it is a true classic but the prices people have been asking recently are ridiculous.
    Last edited by e30jrosso; 07-02-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    2004 BMW 525i - Daily Beater

The Toys/Projects:

1996 BMW ///M3
    1994 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Range Rover Classic SWB
    1987 VW Scirocco 16V

My Cars
    '89 335i,88m3,'03x5 4.4i
    Personally, I never thought of the e36 m as a lame car. I believe the main reason people shit on them, is because compared to what the e30m was when it came out, the e36m disappoints. For starters, the e30m was a thinly-disguised race-car, only released to the public for sale, to meet homologation rules. The e36 m, was (comparatively)a much tamer car. The e30m's styling was bespoke, with it's race-car dna being quite apparent. The e36m's styling was quite subtle, sharing many of it's parts with a non-m e36. While the e30m3 was something like 90% different, from a standard e30. Had the e30m never existed, I think the e36m would have stood well, on it's own. As a follow-up to the e30m though, it was a disappointment. You have to compare the e30m3 to the cars that were out at the time and not to modern-era cars, to really get it.
    Last edited by Jroc81; 07-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    I always thought that save for lacking a few features like pop-out rear windows and floating discs, the US E36 M3 was a really great car. Same great chassis, but less power. One of the few cars to have more chassis then power, and thats always a fun combination.

I love the E36 M3, I am still considering importing a euro model. I for one like the fact they spent their development money making it handle well (because it WAS one of the best cars from it's era) instead of prettying it up. I think its a very good looking car, I'd do really subtle things like E46 fenders just for that hair wider look but, as-is I really like the cars.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    M3, 525i
    I always thought that save for lacking a few features like pop-out rear windows and floating discs, the US E36 M3 was a really great car. Same great chassis, but less power. One of the few cars to have more chassis then power, and thats always a fun combination.

I love the E36 M3, I am still considering importing a euro model. I for one like the fact they spent their development money making it handle well (because it WAS one of the best cars from it's era) instead of prettying it up. I think its a very good looking car, I'd do really subtle things like E46 fenders just for that hair wider look but, as-is I really like the cars.

I love the e36 M3, it was he car that got me interested in cars as a kid and was my first dream car. I bought mine a few years back and I still love the car. Personally for me, I don't care about the euro car itself, more about the rare euro goodies. I'd love that motor with some ITB's. I love the look of the e30 M3 and its race heritage for what it is. That said, I love the subtleties of the e36 M3, the way it handles, sounds, and the raw power they put out. The car is pretty underrated as far as being considered a classic BMW worth anything but I am finding nowadays the prices for good example e36 M's are climbing. There is a semi-local salvaged one with 150k with an asking of $7k and guys are drooling over it. This is true of both the e30 and e36 and that is that cars are worth what someone will pay for them. Someone might find that $46k e30 M3 right for them and pay his price.
    2004 BMW 525i - Daily Beater

The Toys/Projects:

1996 BMW ///M3
    1994 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Range Rover Classic SWB
    1987 VW Scirocco 16V