Thread: I need help/advice

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is

I need help/advice

So i'm sort of conflicted inside right now and need some help/advice. I currently own a '91 318is coupe with a manual transmission. I love this car with all my heart and enjoy every second that i drive it. But lately, as with most older BMW's, its got a few things that need to be replaced and/or fixed. Which isn't all too bad because it is very easy to work on and the parts aren't too expensive. If i were to do the work that needs to be done myself it would cost around $400. Now this is where i need help, I work for a man every summer just to have a little extra cash for myself. One day, he offered me his '06 325i sedan with an automatic transmission and a little more than 260k miles on it for $3500. Being his everyday car, he keeps it in pristine condition and regularly takes it in for service. I could easily pay this off by the end of the summer and have a little more than $500 left to spend. The big problem is that I can only afford to have one of them on the insurance which would mean basically giving up my 318is if i were to take the deal. Another problem is that I love driving with a manual transmission a million times more than an automatic and would prefer it any day of the week without hesitation. Can you guys shed some light as to what i should do and how good of a deal this is? I would greatly appreciate any opinion given. Many thanks.

My Cars
    z3
    why dont you just take the 318 off insurance and keep it until you can afford to insure both? or put the 318 on liability insurance only if it isnt already.

but it sounds like you just dont want the 325, so dont get it... or flip it...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    I would keep the e36.

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    It's an E30 that OP owns not an E36.

OP keep the E30 and save your money, or sell the e30 and keep the E90.
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMI1 View Post
    OP keep the E30 and save your money, or sell the e30 and keep the E90.
    Yes, those are his two options. Great advice

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Yes, those are his two options. Great advice
    Advice is what people on the internet tell others based on very little knowledge of the OPs personal preferences. Both cars, different platforms, different generations, different technologies, different maintenance and upkeep. Since OP has no money it is wise to keep a simple and cheap E30. Should the OP want a new looking car with 300k miles he can go that route as well but in doing so he won't be able to afford the E30. Because if that motor goes to shit so will 3-4k $ whereas an e30 engine is simple and cheap to replace or repair.
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    2004 M3
    A classic little machine of pure joy or a super high mileage boringmatic entry level sedan? I think the choice is quite obvious.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMI1 View Post
    Advice is what people on the internet tell others based on very little knowledge of the OPs personal preferences.
    Its also what he asked for in the thread titled "I need help/advice" ...just sayin'

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Get the E90, flip it for profit