Thread: Weird Brake Rubbing Noise and Popping Sound on E90 328i

My Cars
    '16 M235i AW

Weird Brake Rubbing Noise and Popping Sound on E90 328i

Car: BMW 2008 328i e90

So as of recently I've noticed a lot of extra noise (like a rubbing noise) when I apply the brakes on my car. This is most common when going downhill slowly / going down a driveway. It almost sounds like a semi-truck is going down the driveway. Also, aside from the noise, it just doesn't' feel "right". It's hard to explain.

Also, I've noticed recently that when I park my car (and place it in Park), it will rock a little back and forth (or move almost a foot forward if I'm on a slope) once I release the brake. The only way to fix this is to apply the parking brake when I park...but one I release the foot-brakes it makes that "errhhhhhh" deep noise again.

The last and final thing is that sometimes when I'm backing up and turning the wheel at the same time, I get this weird "popping" noise thats either coming from the front axle or front wheels (almost sounds like front right wheel). Only does it really when turning while backing up (almost feels like its engaging the reverse gear from the drive gear...if that makes sense? Almost like there's a delay?).

My brakes were literally just replaced in March of this year by the BMW dealership near my place...so I can't imagine the fact that I would need new brakes already.

Also, my car recently had new coilovers put on and is in dire need of an alignment (which I'm taking care of this Saturday)...but that couldn't be the cause for any of this could it???

My Cars
    z3
    Probably bushings, possibly something in the coilover failed. You will find the best help in the E90 section

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '16 M235i AW
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Probably bushings, possibly something in the coilover failed. You will find the best help in the E90 section
    Can you be more specific on "possibly something in the coilover failed"?
    And yeah, posting in the e90 section...hopefully someone can give me some insight.

My Cars
    z3
    Without looking at the car, no I can not be more specific than that.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Don't modify your car if you aren't willing to get your hands dirty...

Sent from my thumbs to your eyes.

My Cars
    '16 M235i AW
    Quote Originally Posted by r33p04s View Post
    Don't modify your car if you aren't willing to get your hands dirty...
    I'm learning as I go.
    Furthermore, I was under the impression that these forums were meant to share knowledge on topics referring to our cars. I want to know what other people's opinions are on the potential problems incase it's something either myself or my mechanic didn't think of.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Hope you enjoy paying hourly rates for the grease monkey to guess at what's wrong...buy a jack (or use the one in your trunk) take off the wheel(s) and look...we love piktars 'round these parts (and we can look and give you a more detailed answer)

Sent from my thumbs to your eyes.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330Ci
    Pictures are the best way of describing your problem.

My Cars
    '16 M235i AW
    So I took my car in.
    Mechanic said brakes, bushing, tie rod ends, and everything in his inspection was fine (aside from needing an alignment, which I got).
    Only thing he was worried about was how close the coilovers are to the wheel and recommended 10mm spacers.

I still have the brake "rubbing" sound when coming to a dead stop or releasing from a dead stop. It's almost like it sounds like there's added weight on the front wheels and causing them to make that noise when I apply the brakes...but from what? I also still have that weird "popping" sound that definitely sounds like its coming from the front wheels / axel / something when I reverse while turning slowly.

Here's some pictures of the front wheel(s)

Last edited by XOjustin; 07-01-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added description with pictures

My Cars
    328xi
    Hey guys just a little info drop I learned today. So my car was making a rubbing noise. It only happened when I would brake or I took my foot off the gas. Turns out my heat shield was bent enough to be touching my drive shaft. So when the car would brake an wiggle a little (if you will) it would make that grinding/rubbing sound. So if all seem normal with your brakes check to see if the heat shield is bent into your driveshaft.