Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Out, Bridgestone S04 In

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Out, Bridgestone S04 In

Unfortunately... after about 5000 miles, but Michelin Pilot Super Sports fell victim to a nail in the sidewall. Unhappy about the situation, I weighed my options and decided that the difference in price between the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was too high over the Bridgestone S04 considering I don't have any mountains to carve.

I swapped out the Michelins with the Bridgestones and saved myself approx. $200 for two tires. I will offer up feedback after they are broken in. At the moment they are suffering from new tires syndrome so they are a little annoying but so far they are quieter than the Michelins, but as expected cause they are new.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    We have PSS on my 08 M3 and my wife's 08 535xit and they are great tires but expensive. We may try something cheaper on both cars next time. For the 535, we could give up a little performance but no comfort. For the M3, I would give up a little comfort, but no performance. Will be buying in the spring. Snow wheels go on in November or December and we are OK until then.

My Cars
    E92 335i, 135i, M3, 540i
    Try exploring Pirelli options

We Specialize In: BMW Wheels | | BMW Exhaust | ESM wheels | Forgestar Wheels | BC Racing Coilovers | HRE FlowForm |
    ModBargains
    | Sales@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Pirelli options are often more expensive that the Michelin options... As much as I love the Michelins, give my lack of roads with curves I often give up some performance for longevity.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1998 bmw 316i
    You can also try toyo tires. They are inexpensive but can compete with other known brands like Michelin. By the way what wheel size are you using?
    Last edited by zimmer12; 06-30-2014 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    I am pretty sure you are going to like the S04's.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer12 View Post
    You can also try toyo tires. They are inexpensive but can compete with other known brands like Michelin. By the way what wheel size are you using?
    19x9 and 19x10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim@tirerack View Post
    I am pretty sure you are going to like the S04's.
    It already do... $210/tire vs $310/tire for the Michelin PSS and $390/tire for the Michelin PS2.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    Toyo does not have a tire to compete with the Super Sport. They do have some that would be as good in the dry but nothing that would be all around as good as the Super Sport.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have 18 x 9.5/10.5 on my 08M3 with PSS for 3 seasons and stock wheels with snows for winter, and was thinking about the new RS3 (currently use 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 but not opposed to playing around with the sizes). Any comments on the new RS3?

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    The RS3 will give you more all out handling but not give the same ride, wet traction or tread life as the Super Sport. If you are willing to give up the other things the RS3 will be a very good option. If I can help let me know.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB
    I am so happy with ContiSportContact M3 tires on my 03 E46 M3 convertible that I will use them as long as I can get them. I just turned 90K and this is the second set I've bought…I still have 5/32 on the rear and 8/32 on the front of my first replacement set after the new ones that came on the car. A little over $1K for four tires…not cheap, but well bought.
    And I just got a new set of 18" (255 rear, 225 front) from TireRack. It's not easy navigating TireRack's website…I found them by googling ContiSportContact M3 and clicking on the TireRack item. If you plug 03 M3 into TireRack's finder all you get is Continental 3...

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    You can also give me a call anytime. I would be glad to help out.