Thread: 05 545i inconsistant random low oil pressure light

My Cars
    05 bmw 545i

05 545i inconsistant random low oil pressure light

6sp manual...getting random low oil pressure light at around 2400rpm for couple sec then goes out. Took 3.5hr road trip and not a single light. Driving in town casual...no light...freeway at 2400rpm 62mph low oil pressure light comes for couple seconds and goes out. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Check the oil level... and then if that is good, I'm betting it is a sensor. It could also be the wrong grade of oil, the wrong grade of oil could be too thin providing a low pressure situation but there is no way to check that other than to drain and refill with the proper grade of oil.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    05 bmw 545i
    Thanks for the reply. Well here's the deal, that's what I thought too....pressure changed sensor...no change...oil is dealer 5-30....oil level is spot on...doesn't burn or leak a drop...thought it might be the oil return check valves in the heads (they were on a mechanics alert for possible failure round 100k mi) mine has 92k mi so I replaced (preventative maint).. still not change...changed pcv valves in valve covers as well....no change....I'm stumped?

My Cars
    87 325is
    The next check is to temporarily replace the pressure switch with an oil pressure gauge and see what is actually going on. And change the filter to an OE/OEM type.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    05 bmw 545i
    Yes Jim...that was my thought as well....the oil filter is a bmw dealer filter...
    Also used to live in Huntsville for 4 yrs...nice quiet city

- - - Updated - - -

Could a cracked vacuum line from left valve cover to intake cause this gremlin? This vacuum line is located above the oil pressure sensor...also could a weak seal on oil cap contribute?