Thread: New member - first post

My Cars
    1993 Toyota Hilux Pickup

New member - first post

Hello,

Hope you are well. My name is Paul from Nashua, NH, USA. Thanks for letting me join your community.

I love BMWs and am thinking of one for my next vehicle. I currently drive a 1993 Toyota mini pickup with 333k miles, rebuilt the timing chain, gears, and cylinder head. My other car is a pristine 2011 Camaro SS Convertible - and that's the one I would replace. Looking for something solid and fun to drive that I could turn my own wrenches on without a lot of specialized equipment (kind of like my Toyota pickup).

I'm almost afraid to breathe on the Camaro, as it's so pristine. MPG is also lower than I'd like, with its 6.2L V8. Also prefer less electronics and a different color interior, like blue, maroon, or saddle. Maybe a 3-series cabrio from the late 80's or early 90's would fit the bill? I do like special edition cars. Leased a '95 Mercedes C220 new and was very happy - love the feel, fit, and precision of German cars. My hobby is restoring old electromechanical pinball machines, especially those made by the former D. Gottlieb & Company in Chicago.

Your thoughts, if you'd be kind enough to share, please?

- Paul

My Cars
    z3
    An E36 M3 or if you want a convertible, I would get the dedicated 'vert - the Z3. They are great cars, easy to work on and fun to drive. Same with the E36 M3, but I think if you get a convertible the BMW convertibles are some of the best, and may as well go with a dedicated convertible model instead of a 3 that had it's top chopped off.

The Z3 M's are a bit of a special edition, much rarer than the M3, much more special than any old Z3 out there. If you want something really "special" get a Z3 M Coupe (not a convertible though). The Z3 M models come with tan, red, blue, green or orange interiors so you've got plenty of choices there. They also have an absolutely terrific community and a strong following. Heres the blue one (quite common):

E30's are good too, but I don't really like them too much in droptop form. Then again I don't personally like them in most any form, I think they are one of the more overhyped cars out there, but that's just me. I'm also a bit biased as I have owned over 5 Z3 M roadsters in the past 2 years including 1 currently as well as a Z3 M Coupe.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1993 Toyota Hilux Pickup
    Thanks for your helpful info, BimmerBreaker. We just sold our Toyota Avalon yesterday, hoping the Camaro will go quickly as well. Wife wants something higher like maybe an X3, so target has changed somewhat over last few days.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330Ci
    Hmm, how about a 540i wagon?

IMGP0220+_Large_.JPG

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    I definitely wouldn't recommend an x3 or x5 or x6 for that matter. They're moderately useless on anything except for generic streets/roads. Going up a slight inclined grassy hill will be too much for it. Anything over an inch of snow will be a wasted effort. And even driving on the smoothest roads will feel uncomfortable. I'd say stick with the car versions, get more for your money.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Take a ride up to Manchester and we can show you what a E36 can do. Its not for everyone, but you never know.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    z3
    X3's were ok for their time but have not aged particularly well. They also are not very capable vehicles. If thats the route you really want to go down, I'd go one step up and jump in an X5. E39 wagon is a good suggestion but most women I know find them to be ugly little things and its hard to sell a woman on one

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!