Hello folks,

I'm contemplating getting another car within a year or so...another BMW, an E46 M3, to be specific. I've done a lot of research regarding maintenance, reliability and I am continuing to do so. What I've concluded about the M3 is this: provided I can stomach the initial purchasing price and don't skimp on maintenance and DIY as much as possible, it could be a realistic daily driver. I'm thinking right now $15-18k for a clean 6-speed MT example with all records, and anywhere between $1500-$2000 for maintenance, not including gas.

My current two cars (I plan on keeping both) are a '85 BMW 635CSi which is a project car, and a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I bought as a college beater. The BMW has sentimental value to me as it was my first project and is completely rust free (California car). The Jeep is dead reliable - I bought it with 78,000 miles on it, it just rolled over 84,000 the other day. It's a single owner rust free example that, apart from sucking gas like nothing else, makes a great all-purpose all weather vehicle. It's awesome fun in a snowstorm and on a trail.

I just graduated from college (chemical engineering) and I started my first full-time job last month, so I'm making pretty good money. I'll be 23 next month, I have no real bills to speak of apart from my apartment, and I've always lusted after an M3, the E46 in particular since I drive one at a Cars and Coffee event. If I bought the M3, I would drive it daily on my work commute and on errands when the weather is nice. On the crappy days and for hauling/towing, I'll drive the Jeep. The E24 I don't plan on being driven much apart from weekends and hope to be my first "build" (turbo perhaps).

Looking for advice and criticism and general thoughts here....anything is welcome!