Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW autonomous driving

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenium3777 View Post

I much prefer direct engineering links in steering, throttle, brakes and any other system, with tek coming in as power assistance, not in between driver and component

the Russian ejector seat is the most successful as it is a simple mechanical gravity system.. it isn't computerised ..going on the adage 'if it works don't fix it'

I fear electronic throttles, brakes, steering ...I want direct mechanical linkage ...it's worked for 100 years perfectly safely and reliably ..putting computers and software in-between with their reliability record is nutz
    Bicycle provides excellent direct mechanical linkage. So if you're afraid of electronic throttle in your bmw, you can always pedal to work.
    I don't understand why you're so against "tek" and "computers". Giant leaps in mankind has been achieved thanks to computers. You cell phone is a computer. You car has dozens of small "computers". You're typing your response on a computer. Maybe you're afraid Skynet is taking over?
    You're probably a late adopter or laggard when it comes to accepting innovations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations

If you don't like new self driving cars, then no one is forcing you to buy them. There are always going to be cheap used or new simple cars for sale. Tata nano or Lada? Or you can go waaaaaaaaaay back and get Model T.

Technically, computer works from a simple on/off electrical signal. It simply interprets binary signals and does a specific task based on an algorithm.
    Therefore, software and hardware will be as good as the people who designed them.

Unfortunately consumers are beta testers nowadays, so you just have to live with that.
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 06-27-2014 at 11:40 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    BimmerBreaker

i'd agree the Ford article is much more about Fords tek than against driverless (zero iQ) cars

I much prefer direct engineering links in steering, throttle, brakes and any other system, with tek coming in as power assistance, not in between driver and component

the Russian ejector seat is the most successful as it is a simple mechanical gravity system.. it isn't computerised ..going on the adage 'if it works don't fix it'

I fear electronic throttles, brakes, steering ...I want direct mechanical linkage ...it's worked for 100 years perfectly safely and reliably ..putting computers and software in-between with their reliability record is nutz
    Yeah dude, the future terrifies me too.

This electronic picture box I am typing to you on scares the crap out of me.

OMG ROBOTS

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I hear there's this new movement, they're called Luddites.

OP, sure the odds of dying in cars isn't as bad as russian roulette with a 6 shot revolver. But, you still seem quite content with the number of deaths, and from your aversion to technology it appears you'd be even happier if we went back to less safer cars and thus increased the death count.

Wait a second...is this really about you wanting to play a real life Death Race 2000?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    Why are you so obsessed with how many people die while driving?

How many times have you died while driving you car?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335d Coupe
    Speedsterbek

I love tek.. and hi tek ....not an old car fan but i still appreciate them

but it's horses for courses.. and between me and a wheels, or brakes, or engine/throttle I prefer mechanical linkage and yes, I will avoid cars that put computers in the way

that's what I'm saying, i don't think it's an advance taking away direct mechanical linkage ...don't mind power assistance but don't cut the link

- - - Updated - - -

BimmerBreaker

just count how many times your PC seizes or has faults this month

simple as that bud

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Why are you so obsessed with how many people die while driving?

How many times have you died while driving you car?
    Me personally? At least 6.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    z3
    BimmerBreaker

just count how many times your PC seizes or has faults this month

simple as that bud
    Like I said, there is backup redundancy to these sort of systems. Same with autopilots on planes... they aren't faultless, nothing is, but when lives are at stake there is always a plan B and plan C put in place. Why would we assume autonomous cars would be any different?

Regarding PC's, its not like they freeze once and are not recoverable. They freeze, you turn them off and they turn back on and they function fine. Why are we assuming something that is infinitely more important than a home PC would be less reliable than a home PC? (FWIW I built my own PC and it does not have faults really ever... so personally for me that is a very weak analogy. Maybe if you bought more up-to-date hardware you would trust technology a bit more)

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335d Coupe
    BimmerBreaker

well as Rudolf320 says above you (6 times a month), and I've experienced over 20 years, my trust in computers and their software is born of reality

Trust me my tek is 'up-to-date'.. I wish you'd stop speculating! I've had businesses and my own personal experience, all brand spanking new computers. My girlfriends new DELL laptop was freezing within months and despite 3 tekkies trying to recover her was total friggin junk inside a year.. the Microshite monopoly garbage.. Bulmer & Gates should be put up against a wall for the amount of trouble they have put the world through with their shite software

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12