Thread: Youngest new member?

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupé

Youngest new member?

Hello everybody!

My name is William, and I'm a new member here!

My 15th birthday is this June 29th, and my mom and her boyfriend had one hell of a surprise for me.

We drove seven hours to Champaign, Illinois and they bought me a 1999 BMW M3 Coupe.

It's a beauty. Hellrot red exterior, Modena Natur leather interior, 5-speed manual. Not too many around in the Midwest United States, let alone the entire United States as far as I understand.

It has 125,175 miles on it. I am owner #5 of it. Bought it from a Macedonian guy for $7,000. DEPO HIDs (with angel eyes), the stock headlights, brand new front rotors, front springs, a re-manufactured VANOS unit with upgraded seals, window tint and seat covers were included with the car.

It's in very clean shape, except for the following things:

Some paint stress on the front bumper, little bit of peeling.
    The black front bumper/air splitter has a tiny crease in it.
    The paint has some kinda moderate scratching all over, should buff mostly out. Still shiny.

Leather is pretty much toast on the interior, ripped to shreads and needs replaced.
    Illuminated shift knob is still illuminated, but is bubbling and needs replaced.
    Glove compartment sag (typical, but already fixed it!)
    Squeaky steering wheel. (Currently following a DIY to fix that.)

Oh, and the best part. This car has always been in winter states, with the exception of some time in Arizona according to CarFax.

Yet it has NO RUST!

Even with what seems like a ton of issues, it drives amazingly well. I haven't driven it a whole lot, just on some closed courses and back roads, I do not get my driving credentials until December. Even then, the car is staying garaged until spring, around April. Don't want that rust to start anytime soon.

Here are some starter pictures. Let my mom's boyfriend take it to work so his friend (who is a huge BMW dude, and actually is the reason I own an M3 now) wanted to look at it.

Flickr Photo Gallery: 1999 M3 Coupe

Excited to be a member on the forum, and to be a member of the BMW and ///M families!

My Cars
    97 e36 323i executive
    congrates..id love an m3

My Cars
    Bmw
    Nice! Enjoy it and don't speed
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I'm only 11, so I've got you beat. Congrats on the car though, you've got a couple years to get familiar with it!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    1999 Estoril M3
    The car has alot of power, it is VERY easy to lose control. Going into high school, trust me, there is going to be alot of civic folk just trying to get you to entertain them. You HAVE to have restraint. I only say that because i got my first e36 m3 when i was 16, and totaled it in less then a year. But i guess you have a year to learn how to do some drifting before you're out on your own. xD
    Edit: Forgot to say congrats. Congrats!
    Last edited by AstroSloth; 06-19-2014 at 08:51 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    When I first read this I thought it was an E30 M3 and that was ridiculous

E36 M3 was my first BMW at 16, they are good cars, enjoy it.

But FWIW being a "winter state car" is not a plus, cars from Cali/AZ are usually a plus because there is no rust. Its a lot easier to repaint a sun damaged car or to reupholster bad leather then it is to remove lots of rust. But looks like a nice car.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Get some good tires

Fingerblasting my iPad

My Cars
    2008 BMW M3
    Congrats, enjoy it!

My Cars
    Montego 135i/6
    In B4 OP wrecks it
    2009 135i/6 | Cobb Stg 2+ | VRSF Downpipes | aFe Intake | Evolution Intercooler | Evolution CP | Apex ARC8s | BMW Performance Spoiler | Carbon Fiber

My Cars
    2004 M3
    First thing I thought when I read that op got an M3 for his 15th birthday:

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    Baltoman and I must think alike cause that one of many things I thought of after reading OP.

My Cars
    1986 Schwarz 325es Coupe
    Eek. lots of power for a first car. Im gonna say the first thing you should do when you get your license is go find some local autocross or drift days, big wide open flat areas where you can get an idea how to control the car. Have your fun out there, keep it off the streets. Im only 17 so I'm not one to lecture but i learned to drive on the track as my father was a track day instructor and could get me out there. makes you realize there's too many variables on the street and gives you a bit of common sense.

That being said, i will admit to getting my car sideways on the street every once in a while as theres some moments when it's just irresistible lol. Don't be stupid, im sure if you cherish this car like many people do their first car you'll respect it and not drive like an ass. Congrats on the badass car, and keep it between the lines!
    $400 '86 Schwarz 325es, soon to be a drift slut!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by SlpAngl View Post
    Eek. lots of power for a first car.

That being said, i will admit to getting my car sideways on the street every once in a while as theres some moments when it's just irresistible lol. Don't be stupid
    lol, the last generation of Camrys have more power than the E36 M3, Don't be an idiot (like going sideways on a public road) and you will be fine

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    Quote Originally Posted by SlpAngl View Post
    Eek. lots of power for a first car. Im gonna say the first thing you should do when you get your license is go find some local autocross or drift days, big wide open flat areas where you can get an idea how to control the car. Have your fun out there, keep it off the streets. Im only 17 so I'm not one to lecture but i learned to drive on the track as my father was a track day instructor and could get me out there. makes you realize there's too many variables on the street and gives you a bit of common sense.

That being said, i will admit to getting my car sideways on the street every once in a while as theres some moments when it's just irresistible lol. Don't be stupid, im sure if you cherish this car like many people do their first car you'll respect it and not drive like an ass. Congrats on the badass car, and keep it between the lines!
    nothing to be ashamed of about going sideways on the street. I do it quite frequently, pretty much daily. But I also have been doing that sort of thing since I was 16 (28 now). Just gotta know the right times/places to do such things.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Omen View Post
    nothing to be ashamed of about going sideways on the street. I do it quite frequently, pretty much daily.
    Great.

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Great.
    I know right.

My Cars
    1999 Estoril M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    lol, the last generation of Camrys have more power than the E36 M3, Don't be an idiot (like going sideways on a public road) and you will be fine
    Meh, HP doesn't really equate to power. If that was the case, we would all buy Camry and get 10 more miles per gallon. 17mpg is no fun. ;(

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    The new Camry has bad handling. I will take rwd over fwd either way.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Boston/Modena
    Saw this car for sale on cars.com a while ago, was planning on buying it! Nice car. Good luck with it!!
    1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Silver
    congrats! hellrot is a great color!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    I highly suggest removing the photo that contains your address and other information...

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Co Bullet View Post
    I highly suggest removing the photo that contains your address and other information...
    Yeah, you don't need the grief that could come with that info being publicly shared for whatever reason.

My Cars
    '16 M235i AW
    Take care of it. Even though I would've dreamed of having an M3 as my first car...when I look back at it now, I'm glad I didn't. An M3 is definitely not the best choice for an inexperienced driver imho...but to each their own and be safe!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroSloth View Post
    Meh, HP doesn't really equate to power. If that was the case, we would all buy Camry and get 10 more miles per gallon. 17mpg is no fun. ;(
    You seem to be missing the point. I am just trying to illustrate that 240hp by today standards is not "a lot of power" as SlpAngl said. I never said anything about handling or performance.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1986 Schwarz 325es Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You seem to be missing the point. I am just trying to illustrate that 240hp by today standards is not "a lot of power" as SlpAngl said. I never said anything about handling or performance.
    I'm just saying in my experience. My first car was a 98 outback sport. 2.2l NA that put down 100/110 to the tire if It was running perfectly lol. 240 is by no means slow.
    $400 '86 Schwarz 325es, soon to be a drift slut!