Thread: New here + obd II question

My Cars
    328i

New here + obd II question

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, and also to the bmw world. It's a 98 323i Cabriolet. I'm in the process of getting my car emission tested, and I found out that I could not locate the obd II connector
    under the dash. Yes I have searched and it's should be near where my left knee is. I have located the spot, but there is no plug there. The cover for it is missing, I'm
    not sure if they re-located it somewhere. From what I could see, I see nothing. But before I take apart the panels, I would like to know if I could use the connector
    under the hood for emission testing. The previous owners have done a lot of short cuts, so I wouldn't be surprised if I found more surprises. Thanks guys! Here's a pic of my
    car. Yes I will paint the mouldings back to black.

Last edited by Moulecular; 06-17-2014 at 08:15 PM.

My Cars
    97 328ic E36
    Nice car. Ya the connecter is under the driver side dash . Stick your head under the and the Will be a little 1x3 plastic cover that says obd. On it. Turn the slot with a skrew driver and slide it off and there it is lol

My Cars
    328i
    Hey thanks for the response, yeah I know where it should be, but it is not there at all. No connector or obd cover (it is missing) could someone possibly take it out? Im not sure if the previous owner removed it or relocated it.

My Cars
    87 325ic, 93 325is
    Is it the original motor? Some people convert to OBD1 during swaps. Or call the previous owner if you can.
    Last edited by Exhaust; 06-16-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Mistake about an ODB1 port

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    Is it the original motor? Some people convert to OBD1 during swaps. Check around the engine bay for the OBD1 connector. Or call the previous owner if you can.
    And, if somebody changed the car to OBD I, you're probably screwed. In California, the engine management system has to be the NEWER of the engine or the chassis. If a new engine is installed, then the engine management of the engine must be used. If the chassis is newer, then the engine has to be modified to use the engine management that the chassis came with. The idea is that you cannot go backwards on your engine management, you can only go forward.

- - - Updated - - -

As for checking around for the OBD I connector, there is no such thing.

My Cars
    328i
    Is this it? I removed the panel to find this. I think the previous owner relocated it.

Also, any idea what this is?

My Cars
    328i
    It is the original motor I'm quite sure of it. I think I found it. Previous owner relocated it to a different location. The beauty of buying a car from a hack. Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Keep us in suspense, don't say where you found it...

I wonder why anybody would bother to move something like the OBD II Data Port. There is no upside to the effort, and no downside to not exerting the effort. If ever there was a time to leave well enough alone, this is it.

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta say, I'm confused. You said the car is a '98, but the roof is from a pre-'96 car. Your roof should not have those pockets on the sides, behind the windows.

What are the last 7 digits of your VIN?

The car certainly looks nice, but something is not right here. With the top that's on it, it is not an OBD II car. It's possible to collect the OBD II data from the Data Link Connector that's under the hood, on the right side shock tower. You need an adaptor to do this, but the data is there.

My Cars
    328i
    Lol. I posted pictures, but I guess it's in for review still. Let's hope this link works...Behold, the best craftsmanship ever seen.

My Cars
    328i
    I posted the images twice so it's still waiting for approval, might be a double post :S According to my VIN it does state that it's a 98. WEA16720. It's probably been replaced, maybe that's why I have problems with my top. I wouldn't be surprised, when I bought it-it also had the older steering wheel. The horn did not work, they cut the horn wire and tried to re-wire (aka cut up every wire in the steering wheel) He must be a genius if he was trying to hook up the brown horn wire to nothing and expecting it to work. This car does need some TLC that's for sure.