Thread: What should I do with my wrecked 1999 e36?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is

What should I do with my wrecked 1999 e36?

Yesterday, my baby (1999 323is) was totaled in a freak accident. It was just sitting in my driveway parked while I was at work, and some (probably drunk) @sshole drove into my driveway and rammed my car so hard that it slammed into my house 3 feet away! To make it even better, he just drove away as soon as he realized what happened! The front and rear end are pretty messed up (see pics here: http://imgur.com/a/OVY1a#0 ). Obviously, this breaks my heart, as I have spent countless hours and $$$ fixing her up to be a really nice car. At least she lived to see 200,000 miles...

Fortunately, I have insurance which covers the hit-and-run accident with only a $250 deductible. The insurance already told me that the car is considered a total loss. My question is: what should I do with it?

About five years ago, I was in a similar situation with a 1994 325is that was hit from the rear. The insurance totaled it, but I bought it back from them with a salvage title and re-sold it to someone who repaired and resold the car. I could do this, especially if someone here on the forum really wants the car for its parts etc. I'm in Houston, TX, by the way.

I'm also thinking about buying another e36, in which case I could buy this car back with a salvage title and use it for parts to repair/upgrade the "new" e36. Does anyone have any advice on how difficult it would be to swap parts or the interior between cars? Also, if I bought an e36 with a blown engine, does anyone know how much labor would cost to swap in my old car's engine?

I think most of this stuff is worth saving:
    --really nice interior with only a few very minor cracks in the leather and no stains
    --really nice Harmon/Kardon stock sound system with 6-CD changer
    --five good rims (some scuffing on two) and four almost-new Potenza RE760 Sport summer tires
    --brand new windshield
    --fairly new brake rotors and pads (about 12,000 miles on them)
    --fairly new Bilstein heavy duty struts/shocks and strut mounts (about 12,000 miles on them)
    --fairly new control arm bushings and tie rods (about 6,000 miles on them)
    --new bronze-infused window tint
    --a good M52 engine with exactly 200,000 miles on it (no check engine light!)
    --a good 5-speed transmission and differential (don't know if clutch was ever replaced)
    --a working circuit that bypasses the secondary air pump system without a check engine light
    --a working ECU

Let me know--what do y'all think I should do???

I couldn't get the image uploader to work, so pictures are here: http://imgur.com/a/OVY1a#0

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    PART it out baby baaaaby .. Dibs on the SAP bypass circuit.
    Sorry for your loss.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Holy shit asshole. Yea part it out unless you really want to fix that trunk. Sure you didn't piss someone off? Scorned woman?

Fingerblasting my iPad

My Cars
    z3
    I think if you have to ask how much work it is to swap an engine, you aren't ready to do that sort of work yet.

In your shoes I would buy it back and sell it on CL for any amount more than you paid for it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Crap...what a shame! That car looked to be in fantastic condition! Sorry for your loss!

If it were me and I had the room to store it, I'd keep it around as a donor car....assuming I bought another e36 to replace it of course.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Not worth the effort or money to part, do what black says.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1998 328i
    buy a cheapy and swap in your good parts. sell the rest.

My Cars
    BMW 2010
    You should sale it. It is the best solution of your car.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Silver
    that sucks.. part it out