Thread: Should I Buy This Car? Few Concerns - 2012 528

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i

Should I Buy This Car? Few Concerns - 2012 528

Hi Everyone! It's nice to meet you all BMW enthusiasts!

I would like your opinions on this car that I'm considering for a purchase. I drove the car and loved it, and so have now found myself looking at the CarFax, reconditioning report and considering it to purchase.

Car as follows: 2012 BMW 528 Black on black - Certified PreOwned - Being listed by Chapman Camelback Miles: 32K Purchase Price $35K

1. CarFax shows this is a commercial vehicle, and has been serviced at both of their dealerships. (Salesman tried to tell me that car was traded in for an X1). I believe this must have been a loaner. No name, address and phone number for ownership is being shown on the CarFax - and it says "dealer took title of this vehicle while it was in inventory". I also want to mention I had to ask the salesperson twice for a copy of the CarFax last night, and when he finally gave me a copy, he only provided page 1. I then had to ask him for the entire 5 pages. He said "Oh, you want all the pages?"
    2. CarFax history shows regular and timely vehicle service, oil and filter changed, but this caught my attention. Is this typical? (One is probably front and the other rear brakes) But is this early to need brakes?
      1. 9/2013 - 20K Miles - Brake fluid flushed, changed - Brakes Replaced
      2. 10/2013 - 22K Miles - Brakes Replaced

3. Reconditioning Report (April 2014)
      1. Shows Internal Failure of RDC Module - Replaced
      2. Replaced 4 tires "due to wear conti pro contact SSR"

4. Question regarding paint: I'm in Phoenix, and my thoughts are if this is a loaner, has this car been sitting in the sun baking and damaging the paint (especially hood) for a solid 2 years? Or do you think it's more likely that perhaps it was frequently out on loan, and maybe parked in office parking garages and nice cozy garages? Is the paint job on new BMWs durable to withstand the hot sun without degradation to the hood paint? Any thoughts?
    5. Price: Any thoughts on price? 32K for 2012 with 31K miles. I've checked out CurGurus.com and KBB.com - any other useful places to ensure price is competitive?

Thank you so much for helping me and providing me with all your insights collectively. I appreciate you all being able to help me!
    Last edited by DolceDolce; 07-08-2014 at 06:02 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I'm sure some with more knowledge about this topic will weigh in... but I don't think I would ever buy a 'commercial' or fleet car under any circumstances. While service may have been done on a regular schedule, there are too many opportunities (ie, number of drivers) involved, where more than one of them might have been a complete a-hole who likes abusing other people's property. Just my two cents.

I do think it's odd for brakes to have been done that soon, but on the bright side, they've been done.

I don't know anything about pricing, but yeah nada.com and kbb should give you an idea.

My Cars
    z3
    Loaner cars at Chapman in Chandler Phoenix at the dealership are left indoors or in a covered garage, I am not sure what Chapman on Camelback does. The paint is pretty strong against the sun but I would be more worried about the interior. The sun kills interiors out here, perhaps it has been cleaned and conditioned regularly but I wouldnt count on it.

The thing with a loaner vehicle is its not a one-owner vehicle - its a tens or hundreds owner vehicle because so many people have driven it. I wouldnt buy a loaner vehicle. Especially not from such a shady salesman. None of what you mentioned as far as maintenace is a red flag or anything, but there are tons of other cars out there that weren't beat on. Every time I've had a loaner from them I drive it like I stole it - I think everyone is like this. I like to flog the newer models when I have in my 2011 for service.

However with that being said, regarding: "No name, address and phone number for ownership is being shown on the CarFax" - you should never be able to get that information through Carfax, that would be an infringement on basic privacy laws. If they never told you its a loaner, it could have been a lease since the dealer will hold the title in that case too.

I avoid Chapman on Camelback because they are shady and incredibly dishonest. I would pass on the car and go to their Chandler location. Its a much nicer facility too, with a great sales and service staff. They will provide you with what you want and not try to hide 4 pages of the Carfax. That should be enough to walk away IMHO.

Plenty of other cars to choose from out there... you like the 528i, so get a 528i - that doesn't mean it needs to be that specific 528i

Based on the "cars" in your user profile, you have already made up your mind so good luck!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    That salesman gives me the creeps.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead97 View Post
    That salesman gives me the creeps.
    Chapman at Camelback is located on a street full of dealers owned by the Van Tuyl group. I worked there for a little awhile but left after they told me to outright lie, scam and deceive customers. They have enough clout to pay the local PD to not enforce that street and for about 5 blocks right there you'll never see anyone get a ticket. I recommend anyone shopping for a car to avoid Van Tuyl like the plague...

Chapman is not part of that dealership group but unfortunately practices the same scummy, underhanded business techniques as these other dealers. I will never step foot in that dealership ever again. They were also extremely rude to me and didn't treat me like I could seriously afford a BMW. So I took my business to their Chandler location, was treated very well and have been pleased with the service I have received ever since.

Just my personal experience

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    I would pass based on the specifics of the car

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i
    I want to thank everyone for their help. I got the 528, but ended up with a brand new 2014. It was just a lot easier than trying to figure out what the deal was with each used car. We were in the middle of signing for a used one before the salesperson at their used car location told us it had been involved in a wreck. What happened is we went to sign for a used one but noticed chips on the front grill. Decided to purchase a different used one right there so hadn't asked for a copy of that Car Fax, but salesperson assured me it was nice and no issues on the Car Fax. It was not brought up until we were halfway through signing the papers that it had been involved in a wreck. Also, the maintenance history report was not reflective of the entire history. The report cut off in January, but the accident was in April. Just in my opinion, it gives the perception that since there were no service history between those two dates, that it was very easy to print this record to look official without including the accident. Enter in report range that stops short of the accident last known service was a few months earlier, so looks like it has been up to date and is a solid car. It could very well have been a mistake, a fluke, a computer error, an accidental typing error. We were there a week earlier, felt like they were pushing this car on to us, so we never really considered it. But I had kept the print out, so upon signing when the gave us a new maintenance history print out we were stunned to see that it 'now' was a longer printout that also included the April accident.

It is only fair to say though, now, that the place we did ultimately buy from was the same dealership, at their New Car location. It just worked out that way - we have been all over town for weeks. I do know what you mean about the attitude. The previous week we had gone to the dealer and stepped inside the new car showroom to ask a question, and a rep was a bit abrasive with us, and so we thought "well if we ever buy new it won't be from here."

But it was not like this when we purchased on a different day through a different sales person. I must say as well, that it was the Sales Manager who held this deal together and we really felt 100% the entire time, that he was there to help. If we could clone him, then everyone would have a pleasant car buying experience.

There was also an outstanding guy at the Scottsdale dealership that we dealt with but they lost the sale because our original rep there told me "they can't wash the car for me to look at before signing, they have over 1,000 cars in inventory and it's simply not possible." We had driven there specifically to buy a car over the weekend that had come in a couple of days before a big monsoon - and we requested to see it cleaned up before we signed. You know, just wanted to make sure that this wasn't hit by a large branch or something and that there was anything under the dirt. Just a quick look is all we wanted. We did return the next day and requested a new salesperson, and he was excellent.

It's such a shame that a few employees could really alter the perception that someone has towards a dealership.

We were persistent and finally it worked out.

Thank you ALL for your wonderful opinions and insight!