Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really getting tired of all the BMW private sale marking their cars up over 30%...

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Yeah seriously, once he finally gets a car we will see him in a year or two: "I'm selling my BMW but why do all these people keep sending me lowball offers? They are offering me $4.4k on my $8,000 car!"
    Me thinks your right.
    Me also thinks we will see "why is my engine light on? I replaced my cam sensor! Its brand new from Advance Auto"
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzybimm View Post
    That is such bs dude. NO offense. lol MY uncle works for Karman auto sales and buys a shit ton of cars under kbb and sells them slightly over at the dealership but doesn't sell ones he picks up and repairs himself more than kbb, I guess you can argue that a lot of them are collision titles but either way he never goes 30% above kbb and says that everyone who sells them private party should be "Around kbb" because insurance companies rate them at even a lesser value sometimes, sometimes more, it all depends on the area
    Have your uncle locate a model w/salvage title that you can repair,that should help to keep things in your price range.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Sorry to say, but the reason why cars are priced that way is that someone's still buying them. The brand gives a premium price. For cars this old, it's almost expected to have a high asking price that is then haggled down to something more reasonable.

I kind of wanted a 318ti, which blue booked for about $2500 at 100k miles, excellent condition. The prices were outrageous, comparable to a beat, lowish mileage or decent high mileage E36 M3. So I settled for a coupe.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Keep in mind too OP that most people price their cars a little higher than what they actually want for it, or will accept for it. Guy has a decent e46 has an asking price of $8k, he will most likely take 7 or even 6.5 (not always the case), but all will laugh at your low ball offer of 4.4

E46's are still a very much in demand car that if it is sound, can be sold at a PREMIUM. Key word PREMIUM. These aren't Chevy astro vans.

Yes there are some that ask insane prices for their cars, I remember seeing one guy who wanted 18k for his 03 ZHP with like 100k + miles on it, and guess what it sat for ages till he finally got real. The people you mention, if its a well maintained car that has been looked after, they aren't far off.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzybimm View Post
    of book value, and people need to releze that KBB is being GENEROUS. Now I understand it is just a "guide" as to what people argue, well yes, it is. IT is the approxment value of your car if not less, Most of the time it is only more if it is a rare trim of course. Like the ZHP for example, now I don't agree with people making those 11k-14grand for any of the e46 years but KBB doesn't list that price at that anyway and that is fine of course. I do think that cars like that being the only exception to be above book, just not THAT high. In anycase though...

when I see almost every single 330, CI, I and XI be over $3 grand more than book and almost as much if not more than dealers, it kinda blows my mind. AND these cars have OVER 100k and people want 8grand for them. Like really? What makes it worth 8 grand if it was 1. Not only 35k when you bought it. BUT also 12 years ago and 100k+ miles ago. I don't think any of these BMWs should be over 4 to maybe 5 grand tops. It annoys me that I see beat to shit ones with 150k on it and guys are like 6 grand. I've seen pretty nice ones for about 59 at the best but they always have an option I don't like, either Auto, or Sedan, or the base steering wheel and base seats.

So what are yours guys thought on this? I have offered 4.4 grand cash to so many people and they are like no... Like are you kidding me? It isn't like that 5 grand was tits easy to work for. That took a lot of long no sleep nights for almost 4 months and look where it brought me. Guys I am losing faith. I should have a little more in the up coming months but it feels like it won't be worth it in the end, once the miles will be so high and I just rather take that 5 grand or so and put it on a brand new car( I don't have great credit but I REALLY don't want a car payment)

Help guys please. I want a Bimmer so bad lol
    A car is worth what people are willing to pay. Ultimately there are people that are insane with their asking price, but if most of the vehicles you see fall in a particular price category, then that is likely what it is worth. Around my area, you would be hard pressed to find an e46 330 in decent condition sub 8k. It can be done sure, but it would not be common. The ones in that price range are usually beaten and require quite a bit of work. So ask yourself would you rather pay 4k and then have to cough up an unknown amount in repairs, or just go for the more expensive car from the start that probably wouldn't need much?

I can at least tell you my mentality in it... my Z3 is 14 years old, and has 180k miles.

I have replaced the following:

-New Valve cover
    -New Valve cover gasket
    -Rebuilt the VANOS unit
    -New power steering hoses
    -All new shocks/springs
    -all new bushings
    -All new belts
    -Brand new camshafts
    -Brand new cam bearings
    -All new cooling hoses
    -All new Radiator
    -New fan clutch
    -New fan
    -New Water pump
    -New Expansion tank
    -New door handles and lock cylinder
    -New Drivers side door pull
    -New rear window
    -New DISA Valve
    -Rebuilt calipers
    -New Fuel pump
    -And many other little bits and pieces here and there.

This doesn't even count any of the mods (cams are a mod, but also OEM part so kind of a maintenance item/mod). In any case, if I were to sell my car (which I am not) there is no way in hell I would ask for the average blue book price. Is my car particularly rare? As a model? Not really no. But realistically if you were given the choice at the same price between a car that has maintenance records (and for instance I have lots) that show it has been cared for meticulously, vs a car that looks like it was not cared for, which do you think you would go for. Now add in your mind the cost of all those repairs, vs the higher asking price of the nicer car, and ask yourself if it is still worth it. In my mind it is, absolutely. If I was buying lets say an e36 M3, and the choice was 5k for a car that needs LOTS of work, vs 10k for a car that is very well maintained, with all records etc, I would probably go for the pricier/better condition car. Everything within reason, some people might be asking maybe $25,000 for an e36 M3 in decent condition, and that would be a bit silly.

You kind of have to look at general trends in pricing, KBB is a rough guide as to where to start, but not a rule of law. Look at general price trends, and it is where you will likely see the truer value of a particular vehicle.

But in any case you can't go an complain that the cars you are looking at are all too expensive... if that's how you feel, maybe that isn't the car for you.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    Yes there are some that ask insane prices for their cars, I remember seeing one guy who wanted 18k for his 03 ZHP with like 100k + miles on it, and guess what it sat for ages till he finally got real. The people you mention, if its a well maintained car that has been looked after, they aren't far off.
    Exactly as I posted earlier.

People can ask anything they want it does not mean they will get it. Capitalism!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Even with the markups, a seller takes a huge hit IF they've maintained the car well.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Did OP buy a moped yet?
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

I sold a bmw 325ci for 8000 at my dealership a week ago. I can't believe anyone would sell a bimmer lower than 5k. Even if it has more than 100k.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by sonngy View Post
    I sold a bmw 325ci for 8000 at my dealership a week ago. I can't believe anyone would sell a bimmer lower than 5k. Even if it has more than 100k.
    Amen. Preach is bro
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    This is the age old bummer about wanting a bimmer right? Do I spend $30k to buy a new one and end up paying $900/month for the next few years or buy an old one for way less and dump $30K into repairing it? The shitty part about the whole thing is that most used bimmers are neglected and it us, the enthusiasts duty to revive them. We are the EMTs for our cars, bane of our existence right?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyropete82 View Post
    ...or buy an old one for way less and dump $30K into repairing it?
    Bro, buy better condition cars. Bro...

dude, bro... c'mon

Or get a better mechanic... bro...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    You get my point though. Lol. Don't buy it unless you can afford. Sorry for those of you who add tone to text and interpret things posted literally.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    OP is the low baller that every ad on Craigslist warns about. No, I will not sell my very well maintained 13 yr old german masterpiece with relatively low mileage for the same price as a POS 15 yr old Ford or Honda. I had a guy trying to pull the KBB excuse on me saying that he was being generous for offering me 5k when my asking price was $6900.

4.4K will get you an E36 not an E46. Deal with it.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltoman View Post
    4.4K will get you an E36 not an E46. Deal with it.
    It is inevitable. Join us; it is your destiny. Something something E36, something something Dark Side...

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by DYL View Post
    It is inevitable. Join us; it is your destiny. Something something E36, something something Dark Side...

Some of you E36'ers crack me up...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    You can always buy my 1999 528i, it only has 185,000 miles. $10,000
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    No offence to the OP but go buy a honda civic..... Oh wait i see 2002 old civics with over 100k miles asking close to 5k....

The market does have some cars priced really dumb but I don't think the e46 you described is one of them.

You can find an e46 for 4k that your looking for but you will spend like 3k brining it back to the condition of the guy asking 7k.

word of advice don't pay attention to what you see in the add or on paper. Go out and force yourself to look at 10 cars of the same make and model. Then make your own conclusion. You can find a super clean 200k+ mile car that runs excellent or a sub 100k miles pile of trash with rolled miles that you will pay double for.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ezbmr View Post
    You can always buy my 1999 528i, it only has 185,000 miles. $10,000
    That will buy an M5 in the US... lol wut

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Exactly as I posted earlier.

People can ask anything they want it does not mean they will get it. Capitalism!

Just remembered some kid years ago who had an integra with a body kit, suspension, some engine tuning. Maybe 10k at most invested in the car. It looked decent and he put it up for sale for like 20-25k (this was back in like 1999-2000) It sat for about a year or so till this other kid I knew got an inheritance from his fathers passing and he was dumb enough to buy it. Now that's an insane markup. OP needs to grow up a little.

My Cars
    '07 e92
    The OP is obviously used to dealing with commoditized used cars such as Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys and Ford Tauruses where at any given time there will be a thousand of them all with $50 of each other. BMWs, Porsches, Jags, etc that are expensive to and sensitive to proper maintenance are a completely different animal.

The old adage still applies and also applies to BMWs in my opinion:

"If you can't afford the higher end Porsche, you REALLY can't afford the cheap one".

Later,
    Wally

My Cars
    '87 327is & '87 325i &..
    OP, since you haven't learned much about economy yet let me help you out:

[youtube]ulyVXa-u4wE[/youtube]

[youtube]0yWsOZgsTSY[/youtube]

My Cars
    z3
    I don't think its right to say you cant find a deal... I really hate the mindset that "all BMWs cost the same, just depends if you want to buy it for full price now or half price then spend the difference in repairs"

Its just not true... good deals do exist. But based on his market a good deal may be like $5-6k, not $4k...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    I don't think its right to say you cant find a deal... I really hate the mindset that "all BMWs cost the same, just depends if you want to buy it for full price now or half price then spend the difference in repairs"

Its just not true... good deals do exist. But based on his market a good deal may be like $5-6k, not $4k...
    +1
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I believe in th old adage "you gotta pay to play" - sorry OP!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast