Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hampton Roads Caravan to Bimmerfest East 2014

cLos is offline This that the other thing
    My Cars
    Elise<3

Hampton Roads Caravan to Bimmerfest East 2014

I know this has been done in previous years and while I’m not sure of last year I know that 2012 was relatively successful. This may have already been arranged and if that’s the case then please post the link to the current page and people can refer to that. Down to business…

Date: Friday August 1st, 2014.
    Time: Meet at 1pm, leave at 2pm.
    Place: Wawa - 5701 Northampton Blvd Virginia Beach, VA 23455.
    Route: 13N.
    Stops: All stops (i.e. gas) will be determined by the lead car. If you need to stop, take lead.

If anybody has any suggestions or issues with the details please feel free to bring them up. Also, if there is anybody along the way that would like to join up please do. That can be coordinated real time.

Suggestions for an end point are good too. It would be cool to have short post-caravan regroup before everyone disperses to their hotels. Maybe the hotel that the majority of people are staying at.

NO HOONING. All caravan etiquette and traffic laws will be adhered to.

Invite your friends. Hoping this gets a good turn out.

Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/516434498479830

EDIT: Once again, the planned route from this area is Route 13N, NOT 95N.

EDIT 2:

Last edited by cLos; 06-07-2014 at 06:08 PM.

@los_tho

My Cars
    95 M3/2/A - swap coming
    I hope i can go to this. I want to bad.
    2002 325i Silver Metallic Sedan/Manual - Modding Every Day

- Street Stars Motorsports -
    - Bimmerworld Dealer
    - UUC Dealer

My Cars
    Elise<3
    Make it happen!

@los_tho

My Cars
    '88 325 IX/ '95 M3
    What going on. Thanks for putting this together. Last year was extremely successful up until the last rest stop when one person took the wrong exit and it was mass mayhem. There was easily 100 cars which made things very interesting. Let me know what you figure out or if you need help at all.
    RE M3

My Cars
    2008 BMW M5
    I want to go... but I'm also really lazy... ahhhh

My Cars
    Elise<3
    100 cars? From this area and up Rt 13? The year prior I think we had less than 10. Interesting. Well definitely man, if you took part in the arrangement of it last year and it was that successful then by all means. Any input/help is definitely a plus.

Spreading it around more would probably widen the base as well. So far I've only posted it on here, Bimmerfest, and a few local area Facebook pages. I'll get around to it, but anything helps.

@los_tho

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by cLos View Post
    100 cars? From this area and up Rt 13? The year prior I think we had less than 10. Interesting. Well definitely man, if you took part in the arrangement of it last year and it was that successful then by all means. Any input/help is definitely a plus.

Spreading it around more would probably widen the base as well. So far I've only posted it on here, Bimmerfest, and a few local area Facebook pages. I'll get around to it, but anything helps.

yup, i was in that caravan last year.
    some suggestions, i would make certain stop points and group up points instead of making the lead car determine the stops. that way it is a lot less likely for things to get scrambled.
    like have meet up points. we had a good 10-20 people at the dale city rest area to meet up with the caravan last year and we all took off together.
    Nearing the location there was a huge exit mix up and everyone got dispersed lol but it was a fun ride.

i'll be going again this year except i won't be in a BMW... srt-4 lol don't hate me

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Friday at 2pm? Is there another caravan for people with jobs/families/pets?

Also keep in mind that leaving at this time will put you squarely in NoVA/DC Friday rush hour traffic, and then Baltimore Friday rush hour traffic. I don't think hooning is gonna be a problem. Just make sure your cooling systems are in good order, because you're going to be sitting still in the heat for most of that 8-hour trip.
    Last edited by 1000hp; 06-07-2014 at 12:58 PM.

My Cars
    Elise<3
    Quote Originally Posted by iturboh View Post
    yup, i was in that caravan last year.
    some suggestions, i would make certain stop points and group up points instead of making the lead car determine the stops. that way it is a lot less likely for things to get scrambled.
    like have meet up points. we had a good 10-20 people at the dale city rest area to meet up with the caravan last year and we all took off together.
    Nearing the location there was a huge exit mix up and everyone got dispersed lol but it was a fun ride.

i'll be going again this year except i won't be in a BMW... srt-4 lol don't hate me
    I think there is some confusion here.

What I'm gathering from this now is that last year's caravan that you guys are speaking of traveled up 95N. Makes much more sense now. What I'm arranging here is a group leaving from the Norfolk/VA Beach area and taking Route 13N up the Eastern Shore.

That's why I went with lead car, because I don't see 100 people partaking in the caravan that I am arranging here (there were roughly 10 cars in 2012). It will be easy to work it that way with a smaller group. Now, say there's ~100 people that actually commit to the caravan that I am arranging (doubtful), then I will certainly arrange more solidified stopping points, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    Friday at 2pm? Is there another caravan for people with jobs/families/pets?

Also keep in mind that leaving at this time will put you squarely in NoVA/DC Friday rush hour traffic, and then Baltimore Friday rush hour traffic. I don't think hooning is gonna be a problem. Just make sure your cooling systems are in good order, because you're going to be sitting still in the heat for most of that 8-hour trip.
    See the thing is, in order to leave Friday and still arrive in the area at a reasonable hour I had to go with around 2. I work as well, and usually until around 4pm-6pm depending on the day/mission. I just know that I'll probably be able to swing getting out early, which is what I'm hoping others that work will be able to do. We left at 1pm two years ago and I somehow ended up convincing my chain of command to let me out early that day, so I figured I'd tack on an extra hour for some wiggle room this year. I know we tried to arrange a later caravan for those who worked, but I'm not sure it ever came to fruition. If we were to leave at say, 5pm, then we wouldn't get there until 9-10ish. That was just my thought process. All details are subject to change based on majority consensus (provided suggestions are reasonable).

As for traffic, read the full OP. The planned route takes us up Route 13N, not 95. Which means no DC, no Baltimore, etc. I take that route whenever I go home on leave (to MA) and I never hit anything. More scenic, less traffic, less police presence, much more relaxing.

@los_tho

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Yea, I was confusing 13 w/ 17, which I think would still send you through NoVA + Baltimore traffic. Sorry.

13 seems like a long way around, but it took us 5hrs to get there last year so appearently it's faster! I'm gonna have to opt for the Saturday AM caravan, since this will be a day trip for me.

My Cars
    Elise<3
    It may be a little longer, but it's far more pleasant than 95. Yeah, I suppose this wouldn't be fitting for a day tripper. Well if anything changes you know where we'll be!

@los_tho

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Im half tempted to drive down from Lititz PA just for the ride up that coastal route. Will have the e38 so low comfortable cruising will be enjoyed! The 635 race car might get towed next year!!

My Cars
    Elise<3
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Im half tempted to drive down from Lititz PA just for the ride up that coastal route. Will have the e38 so low comfortable cruising will be enjoyed! The 635 race car might get towed next year!!

Woof...While I'm all for building numbers, that is a trek! Long ways out of the way to join up with a small/med size caravan. The route is definitely nice and relaxing, however driving it a few times a year I will say I don't know if it's worth the drive from PA.

Definitely love to have you though, the more the merrier! Just trying to look out for you...and your wallet/car.

@los_tho

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Thats why im half tempted! Might still be able to hook up with a crew from Harrisburg Lancaster area.

My Cars
    Some Bavarian car
    Het cLos we had a huge caravan last year that started on Tidewater drive.
    We are probably going to do the same this year.

Here is a link to the post:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=707230

My Cars
    Some Bavarian car
    cLos we had a sweet caravan that left from Tidewater Drive last year.
    Hopefully we can do something similar this year. Here's the thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=707230&page=2

My Cars
    Some Bavarian car
    Woof...While I'm all for building numbers, that is a trek! Long ways out of the way to join up with a small/med size caravan. The route is definitely nice and relaxing, however driving it a few times a year I will say I don't know if it's worth the drive from PA.

Definitely love to have you though, the more the merrier! Just trying to look out for you...and your wallet/car.
    Here is a link to the caravan last year, it was cool and we should do it similar with the minor improvements this year.
    For starters I'll have a GoPro mounted this year.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=707230&page=2

My Cars
    2008 BMW 650i vert
    lol I remember that mess

My Cars
    Elise<3
    Partially why I'm avoiding that route. I like the lower key option.

@los_tho

My Cars
    1997 328ic 1985 318i
    Partially why I'm avoiding that route. I like the lower key option.
    definitely a nice drive up the eastern shore. just did the drive middle of june to dover for the firefly festival. will be another nice drive in the vert.

My Cars
    1992 325i, 2008 528xi
    Just registered on the Turner website, it was so simple i feel like im missing a step. Is there anything else to do?

My Cars
    Elise<3
    Registered for what, the Turner caravan? That leaves from MA...

Or registered for the show? In which case that's not even entirely necessary. It's just so they can get a tentative idea on how many cars to expect.

Anyway, just under two weeks to go. Let's see if we can get a few more participants. Spread the word.

@los_tho

My Cars
    1992 325i, 2008 528xi
    The actual show

My Cars
    Elise<3
    Quote Originally Posted by snooknautica View Post
    The actual show
    I see. Will you be joining this caravan?

@los_tho

My Cars
    Elise<3
    Few days. Hope to see everyone there!

@los_tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast