Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going from an E92 to E82?

My Cars
    99 M3
    ^its easy to say a lot of that considering most of these cars are still under warranty.

Repair costs out of warranty are gonna destroy the value of these cars. Ive seen 135is going for the same price as 128is in the used market already, new BMW values are plummeting hard.
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    z3
    Guys please stop the 135i discussion. OP said explicitly why he does not want a 135i. If you like your car great, the temporay suspension of the two members who made this into a 135 vs 128 debate should be enough to dissuade you from starting another discussion on that.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Guys please stop the 135i discussion. OP said explicitly why he does not want a 135i. If you like your car great, the temporay suspension of the two members who made this into a 135 vs 128 debate should be enough to dissuade you from starting another discussion on that.
    No worries or drama from me, I have no need to see the thread dissolve into a mess again. Just a general comment and my opinion. I make no attempt to say what car is right for someone else.

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Swift hammer of justice...

So anyways. Uber, what you leaning towards? I hope the current community doesn't dissuade you from buying one of these awesome cars. Give it a few years when they are a bit cheaper, more reasonable people start scooping them up there will be a great community for these cars. They are as close to a modern E30 as we will get (though Im more an E36 guy anyways... never understood the E30 obsession myself).
    Still not sure. I really just need to go test drive a 1 and see how I like it now that I've adjusted to my 335's size, power, etc... I'm also going to drive a 2 and see how I like it, leasing is a great option for me as I don't put a ton of miles on going back and forth to work.

On the e82 front, do they have a hill hold like the e9x's do? Also can you retrofit xenon headlights/housings to a non-xenon car or does it require modules/programming?

My Cars
    z3
    I'm not sure about the hill hold feature, my 1 is an auto. Also not sure about the xenons, I havent looked into these mods yet as the car is still under warranty (though may spring for some blackline tails.... :drool). Found this thread though regarding xenons

I think you will like the 2, but consider that youll end up in this same place 3 years from now where you dont want to own a turbo out of warranty. If you can afford to drop it off for a new lease when done with it, then thats probably the safest option.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

Over the years I've owned a Mini convertible, a Z4 Coupe, an E93 328i. I recently took delivery of a M235i manual, and I can tell you the M235i is the most fun, the most drive-able and the most responsive of them all.

If you're going to lease the car, then forced induction related problems are non-issues.

I'm 59 years old, which in a way is a good thing, because if I had gotten my hands on a car when I was 20 that had the performance characteristics of the M235i, I'd most likely have killed myself in it.

Fortunately for me (and everyone else on the road), I've modified my driving style considerably in the last 40 years.

Still, I'm having the M Performance exhaust system installed on June 16. I guess some of that stuff is still in my blood...

My Cars
    99 M3
    2 series has EPS which is

M235i is 3500 lbs btw

228i 3250 lbs
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    Mmm
    Out of the box, the 128i, even in sport package, will not be anywhere as nimble as your old e36 m3. If you're looking for an e36 m3 type of driving car, your only real option is to get an e36 m3 (or maybe an e46 zhp, I've heard that is an amazing car from all the zhp kool aid drinkers).

I had an e36 m3 for 7 years, and an e36 325i for 3 years before that. It was a tough transition when I had a z4 sdrive35is with the n54 factory tuned engine and sweet sweet exhaust. It still felt and drove like BMW of yesterday, but something was missing. The power was great, but 0-60 in 4.3 seconds is not something you really need. Turbo lag was almost non existent, but could still be felt and it bothered me. I had always thought that when folks said they would rather have their e36 m3 over the newer BMWs that they were crazy and delusional. But after learning about EPS (which I believe is now standard on all non M new BMWs, with the exception maybe of the x1 xdrive), it made sense why I thought the z4 felt like something was missing. The communication between the tires and the driver was gone.

So. I ended up with the closest to the last "pure" BMWs made. The 128i with sport package and 6spd. The 128i does have the hill hold, but if you were to want to swap in xenons to a non xenon car, you will need to find the xenon headlights ($1k+ for used set), plus do the coding and wiring. There are DEPO aftermarket headlights that also delete the orange corner, but I met up with a guy who purchased them and he was complaining about condensation in the housing. If you want xenons, just look for a 128i that comes with them. It'll save you lots of headache trying to do the swap.

Comparing the e36 m3 and 128i - they do have similar power/weight numbers and the sizes are very similar too. Rear head room is much bigger in the 128i, but I feel like you also sit a bit higher. The engine is smooth, very very smooth, but you lose that rawness of the s52. The handling and steering is not in the same league as the e36 m3, but compared to the alternative BMW offerings, it's as good as it gets. The interior is eons better, and also shares a simple design that will be timeless and trouble free assuming you get non idrive. The drive is more refined, more comfortable, and having everyday driving convenience items such as bluetooth, aux/usb input, steering wheel controls, and auto headlights are very nice.

Comparing the e92 vs e82 chassis only (based on my e92 loaner cars I've had over the years) - the e92 drives about the same, has a little more weight that I did feel. The aftermarket parts are easier to come by due to the production #s and popularity of the e92, but the suspension and engines share a lot in common so you can sometimes cross shop. The e92 interior is of slightly better quality, but nothing earth shattering. The extra length of the e92 is noticable, it just does not feel as nimble as the e82. But the differences aren't night and day, more subtle than anything. Rear seat room of the e92 is much more tolerable for adults, but the e82 does it just fine in a pinch. The e82 width is more noticable as the interior width feels very similar to an e36.

Go test drive the 128i, and also some of the new BMWs. The EPS is seriously something that I can't get over, and this was something that bothered me without even originally knowing what EPS was.

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Ugh. Found a perfectly optioned car (minus xenons) and I still have 20 months left on my lease.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...72498738&Log=0

So tempting to go buy....

If the link doesn't work, it's a 2012 CPO 128 le mans on black m sport 6 speed non sunroof car.

My Cars
    z3
    Beautiful

But do keep in mind in 20 months once the lease is up they will only be cheaper and more for sale (as more and more come out of lease or they get on in age more people will sell for newer models). If you want to get out of the lease now, I would float a word out to the dealer you leased the car from, my old dealership would buy the car the person wanted to buy if it met criteria for CPO, then roll the rest of your lease payments into your new payments. Most wont do this, but I am sure they would be willing to work with you to some greater or lesser extent. Perhaps at the very least they will give you a call when they get a car on their used lot that fits your criteria. Worth a shot to ask if you are considering getting out of the lease early

PS I am not sure all years of the 128i had hill hold. As I think about it I think the year after ours got that feature. Not 100%. I will ask my service adviser next time it is in. We decided to keep the car (warranty is almost out!!!) so I need to start learning more about it

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    So many aspects to consider!

There should be quite a few coming off lease in the next few years. I just worry that it will be difficult to find an M Sport with a third pedal when the time comes. Le Mans is so sexy too!!!

My lease is stupid cheap right now at under $300 a month so it's dumb to not enjoy the next year and a half.

BimmerBreaker what year is your car? (Not a fan of hill hold)

My Cars
    z3
    Mine is a 2011, I am not really sure if it has it, if it does I have never noticed. I will take it up some hilly areas today to test. I seem to recall it coming the year after the '11 but maybe that was another feature like the auto start/stop.

FWIW I am pretty sure the feature can be disabled, and it seems like it may be nice on manual-equipped cars. I wouldn't avoid cars that have it personally.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    My e92 has the hill hold. If you're in 1st at a light and have your foot on the brake and clutch, let off the brake, the car will still hold for 2 seconds or so.

My Cars
    z3
    I've yet to find a hill to test it on while on the road, but I think it does have it. It never seems to roll back when parking on an elevated driveway.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    My '08 128i has hill hold FYI

My Cars
    135i Convertible 6MT
    I went from a 2008 135i Convertible 6MT to a 2009 328Xi Coupe 6MT.
    I loved everything about the 328 except for the lack of power.
    You're going from a 335 to a 128, I think you may have the same issue.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by misterted View Post
    I went from a 2008 135i Convertible 6MT to a 2009 328Xi Coupe 6MT.
    I loved everything about the 328 except for the lack of power.
    You're going from a 335 to a 128, I think you may have the same issue.
    except the 128i weighs less than both the 135i and 328.

power isnt everything.
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    misterted when you switched cars you added more weight, reduced power, and increased drivetrain power loss with awd. I'm sure you noticed a difference. At least with a 335 to 128 I'd be losing power but also losing weight.

FWIW I drove my 1.8 cyl e36 to work last week and didn't miss the power even though it has less than half of my 335 Thank you rush hour traffic.
    Last edited by uberSteuer; 07-21-2014 at 12:04 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by uberSteuer View Post
    misterted when you switched cars you added more weight, reduced power, and increased drivetrain power loss with awd. I'm sure you noticed a difference. At least with a 335 to 128 I'd be losing power but also losing weight.

FWIW I drove my 1.8 cyl e36 to work last week and didn't miss the power even though it has less than half of my 335 Thank you rush hour traffic.
    yeah I am scratching my head at a lot of these posts that seem to not take the concept of weight into account. I dont need 400 hp when my car only weighs 2500 lbs lawls
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

But a 128i doesn't weigh 2500 lbs lol if it did i would buy one myself! Probably wouldn't even have doors...

2010 BMW 135i

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazingJr View Post
    But a 128i doesn't weigh 2500 lbs lol if it did i would buy one myself! Probably wouldn't even have doors...
    that wasnt meant to be literal but ok. It doesnt change the fact that the 135i is a porker, 128i weighs 3150

my e21 has 110 hp, weighs 2600 lbs, and it feels great.
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by vanishm3 View Post
    that wasnt meant to be literal but ok. It doesnt change the fact that the 135i is a porker, 128i weighs 3150

my e21 has 110 hp, weighs 2600 lbs, and it feels great.
    I'm at 3025 on my 128i currently. Goal is to be mid 2800

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

image-3865256080.png

I don't see where it says 3150. Looks like 3208 to me.

image-2613063670.png

135is is 185lbs heavier with alot more standard equipment. Take out all that crap and lets say -45. My car has no sunroof, no power seat, no folding mirrors. Just Boston leather, Navigation and M Package. If you really think you can notice 140 pounds of weight so much that 90 horspower and 100 tourque will make it not worth the 140 pounds then you must be one hell of a driver.

2010 BMW 135i

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Here I'll help you

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

Yes lets rely on the EZ Weight Scale from who knows where

2010 BMW 135i

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast