Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Going from an E92 to E82?

Anyways, pointless to argue with you guys. All i'm saying is that the weight difference is minimal and nobody will ever notice it except for maybe a pro driver. And then they will wonder where the power is.

2010 BMW 135i

My Cars
    z3
    Please don't start this again. We know you enjoy your 135i and think its better than a 128i... thats what got you temporarily suspended recently (in this same thread, none the less). This is not the thread for that.

There is not even an argument here. Someone said THEY enjoy a lighter car. You don't, thats great. Enjoy your car. But stop telling people what they should enjoy.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 07-26-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazingJr View Post
    Anyways, pointless to argue with you guys. All i'm saying is that the weight difference is minimal and nobody will ever notice it except for maybe a pro driver. And then they will wonder where the power is.

2010 BMW 135i
    You've already been suspended because of comments in this thread. You've given your opinion, please move along.

A 10% weight difference is plenty noticeable, any high school physics class will teach you about power to weight ratio. After I do the manifold swap it will have around 270-280 hp so it will actually be quicker than a stock 135. At least 10% less weight and less than 10% less power. You do the math.

My Cars
    BMW E87
    128i +1

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Bumping an old thread with a resolution.

After over a year of mental back and forth, I pulled the trigger on a CPO 2011 128i 6MT in September. It’s black on black with M Sport package, slicktop, harmon kardon, and leather. It does not have xenons, which I will be retrofitting. I really like the car so far, it feels like a mix of an e36 328 and M3 with a newer interior. It has the same shortfall of the squishy e92 rear end paired with run flats and the interior materials quality is not quite as nice in a few areas. The car isn’t perfect, but overall it’s enjoyable to drive, has a warranty, has character, and was relatively cheap.

Compared to my 335i, it fixed a lot of the little things that bothered me and I don’t miss the power at all. My short list to replace my e92 was another e36 m3 or e46 m3 or e82 128i. Newer F chassis cars were out of the picture as I really dislike EPS. I drove my Dad’s mint stock e36 M3 prior to test driving the e82 to serve as a baseline.

So far I’ve added a set of style M 261 wheels, LCI Blackline tails, and replaced the yellowing sidemarkers.

My list of planned changes include:
    OEM Pre-LCI Euro Xenon retrofit
    Non-runflat tires with 1M/M3 bushing overhaul and LSD
    Performance Suspension
    Performance Exhaust
    135i/Performance Brakes
    Euro Airbox
    Software

For now I’m enjoying it as is and sticking to Mike Miller’s aggressive maintenance schedule. The xenon retrofit will be done shortly, the rest of the stuff I’ll gradually add when the parts they replace wear out (i.e. tires). I’d like to keep the car as a daily driver for the better part of a decade if I can, like I was able to do with my e36 m3, and keep the build OEM+.

I’m very interested to see how it compares to my e36 project once it’s back on the road again and I start driving them back to back.

And for those looking, 6MT cars do not pop up very often. I’m glad I started my search well before I was ready to buy.

Build thread over on 1addicts: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190719
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uberSteuer; 12-15-2015 at 07:50 PM.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/4/5
    Awesome. I'm on the exact same path. As I'm looking to replace my e36 m3 with a 128i. I'd be interested in your comparison info.

I also agree that it will take some time to find a 6MT car. Especially since I want one with a color. Not black or silver

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Quote Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
    Awesome. I'm on the exact same path. As I'm looking to replace my e36 m3 with a 128i. I'd be interested in your comparison info.

I also agree that it will take some time to find a 6MT car. Especially since I want one with a color. Not black or silver
    I've only seen M sport cars in white, black, silver and LeMans blue. The only LeMans 6MT I saw for sale was the one I commented about in June of 2014. My search was confined to Nevada, California, and Arizona, though. Pretty much all potential lease return cars have been turned in by now with only 2013 models sold in late 2012 through 2013 remaining. Wanting a CPO car and rarity was the main reason I pulled the trigger a couple months early.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/4/5
    Yes the search will be long.

And what can you tell me about comparing the 128 to the e36 m3?

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Yes the search will be long.

And what can you tell me about comparing the 128 to the e36 m3?
    Just realized I've been replying to your thread on 1addicts as well.

The biggest differences to me were the lack of low-end torque and the suspension/chassis doesn't feel as planted compared to an e36 m3. The 1er seems a bit floaty and not as flat through turns. If pushed, it feels like the rear end could get snappy like the e36 generation z/m coupe and roadsters. The 1er is pretty quiet compared to the e36.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/4/5
    Thanks for the input. I get the same feeling. Is it possible to update the suspension and engine to be equal or better than the e36?

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Thanks for the input. I get the same feeling. Is it possible to update the suspension and engine to be equal or better than the e36?
    The subframe bushings and runflats seem to be the main culprits holding the chassis back. I haven't come across any direct comparisons to an e36 m3, but I suppose I will find out when I tackle them. From what I've read on 1 addicts, software helps low end on n51/n52 but it's nothing ground breaking. I've gotten used to the car and for what it's used for (driving 15 miles each way to work on highway/city streets) it's fine. The failings are noticeable but not bad enough to go out and spend $1000 on new tires to replace my RFTs that have 90% tread on them.

My biggest gripe with my car, with daylight savings time especially, is the halogen headlight setup. I'm prepping to buy euro xenon housings and all the associated retrofit pieces.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234