Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Subaru BRZ or VW GTI?

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    Update: My sister-in-law still hasn't bought anything... still mulling things over, and some new cars have entered the mix. But in the course of things, I got really interested in the Subaru BRZ.

So I bought one.

Couldn't be happier. RWD, 200 horses, decent (enough for me) 60 time, low comfy leather/alcantara seats, ltd slip diff, nice exhaust note for well under 30k? I went all in and am loving it.

I drove the 4-door GTI and thought it was nice. Handled well but didn't sit all that low--I prefer the BRZ seating position. The front-wheel drive bugs me, dunno why, it just does. Why doesn't VW make any RWD vehicles?? Was also a few grand more than the Subie, and I like the styling of the BRZ better-- of course that's just personal preference. I think the GTI will look cool in 2-door but I'm sold on the BRZ, and anticipate much better reliability (I've owned Subies and V-dubs in the past... no contest there).

Nice, congrats! You sound really stoked on the BRZ, which is great. I personally probably would have gone the GTI route, but you're so right about the seating position. The BRZ is definitely the more genuine sports car of the pair.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    Nice, congrats! You sound really stoked on the BRZ, which is great. I personally probably would have gone the GTI route, but you're so right about the seating position. The BRZ is definitely the more genuine sports car of the pair.
    Thanks... the GTI is definitely cool, and honestly, more practical. But we already have a practical car, and to your point, I wanted something that was a sportier ride.

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    German car > Japanese car.

I recently replaced my Mini with a Golf TDI and it is better in every way, except styling.

My Cars
    z3
    I quite like the BRZ and may pick one up in a few years when they are a bit cheaper. There are some cool mods for that car, from swapping over the Toyota 86 parts to the Japanese-spec interior bits... they can be made pretty nice. Definitely a good DD.

And VW does make RWD cars

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 540i Msport
    Personally I would go with the GTI - my other car is a jetta sportwagen (really a golf wagon ) and I really like it.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I quite like the BRZ and may pick one up in a few years when they are a bit cheaper. There are some cool mods for that car, from swapping over the Toyota 86 parts to the Japanese-spec interior bits... they can be made pretty nice. Definitely a good DD.

And VW does make RWD cars

Ha, touche!

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    if your gonna lease, go with the GTI....if your gonna buy.... BRZ.... newer VWs have horrible maintenance creed.... ask me how i know....
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    I'll take most cars over a vw. Unless its a vw produced in europe, i know those aren't terrible.
    Du bist die kraft, die macht und die prophezeiung in Ewigkeit, du bist das Omen.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    GTi > BRZ. BRZ is unreliable, weak, and cramped. You might as well take the car that would be just as unreliable, but with more power, comfort, and utility.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123