Thread: Confidence is Fading, e39 woes

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525

Confidence is Fading, e39 woes

Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to vent in hopes someone here has had these troubles, and perhaps could offer some encouragement?

I recently bought my 1997 e39 528i 117,000mi for 2300 bux. I knew it needed some work but holy crap. The previous owner never changed a single part on this thing. I know I got it at a good deal, but my WIFE HATES THE CAR because Im always working on it. Im starting to hate it myself. I havent even really driven this thing other than 60 miles from where I bought it, then I parked it.

So far I have replaced:
    Radiator, water pump Thermostat
    Rack and Pinion
    Wheel Bearings (all four wheels)
    Rear control arms (upper)
    Struts (all four, PITA rear)
    Trans fluid change
    Two front tires

Still need to change:
    Rear Ball joints (completely and utterly BLOWN to hell)
    Rubber brake lines (outer rubber is cracking, and I can see the steel hose on the inside, Probably a good idea to change right?)
    Brake speed sensors (all four, wires corroded, unbelievable)
    Clock Spring(slip spring, I have not verified with a dealer scanner yet, but I believe they took the dash out at one point and spun the steering wheel once too many times, Airbag and Cruise do not work)

Im just running out of money, and Patients with this car. Like I said, my wife HATES it. If anyone has any ideas or encouragement, it would be greatly appreciated. I live in the CenTex area.
    Last edited by Sleepyhead97; 05-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Think if everything lasted that long without being touched/changed, how long it will last once all of this is new again, and with you taking care of it?

My gf hated my M3 because I was working on it a bunch the first year she met me, but after this year of miscellaneous parts, etc......I haven't replaced anything else, and it hasn't needed anything else until I was ready to buy the motor I wanted to swap in.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Sounds like you're into a lot of works with these ones, it does pay off, even though sometime seems like a waste of money, sorry to hear whole car wasn't maintained , but for under 3k that's still a great buy. You don't seem to be a lot of PIA items left with majority of stuff done to it. We all been there , these cars are expensive to have , but heck id rather drive my BMW than eat at restaurants!

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Sounds like you bought a $2300 E39, and for the items listed I would say it is exactly as I would expect.

Take care of those very very common problems and you'll be set for awhile.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by clean328 View Post
    but heck id rather drive my BMW than eat at restaurants!
    Haha, me too. Wife is a little upset the car is cutting into her take-out budget. Ill keep plugging along its really the only thing I know how to do. My blessing and my curse.

Thanks guys!

My Cars
    z3
    Your still gonna end up with a nice car for much cheaper then its worth when all is said and done. PITA now, but the wife will come around when your on a leisurely drive somewhere

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Honestly, buy your wife a Toyota, fix the E39 and enjoy it. This story is common. Seems like the third owners of E39s get stuck with repairs deferred by 2nd owner. Many folks give up and unload to 4th owner who reaps the bennies. Tell your wife it's cheaper than a car payment and full coverage insurance. Eventually the E39 will gain her trust.
    '84 318i
    '99 M3 'vert(wifey's)
    '88 535i
    '05 ZHP
    '05 X3 6-sp sport pkg unicorn

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Update: The bmw is still going strong and driving great these days. I've been driving it 600 miles a week for the last month. Replaced, thrust arm bushings and brake lines. Very happy with the car right now.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    You see, patience does pay off. Hope the wifey is happy too!