car died-please help

I am currently waiting for the tow truck

Driving down the road, 40ish mph
    Check engine light came on
    Drove .5-.75 more miles to a red light
    While stopped at red light, engine was sputtering and lurching forward
    Immediately turned off, car died as I was pulling into a spot
    car will not turn over or start

I am going to check the codes when I get home tonight and see if anything popped up

Here is what I did tonight
    Finished the pcv valve
    Reassembled the interior
    Took the engine cover off, sprayed the engine with foaming engine cleaner and hosed it off.

Car ran for roughly 11 miles and about half an hour after I had hosed it off

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    My guess would point to the last thing you did, namely hosing it off. My money is on water as the culprit, which would also mean that it sitting overnight might lend to a car that starts without a problem later.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammit View Post
    My guess would point to the last thing you did, namely hosing it off. My money is on water as the culprit, which would also mean that it sitting overnight might lend to a car that starts without a problem later.
    I thought that as well, wouldn't the water have affected it sooner than hanf an hour later? I will poke around with it and see if it dumps any codes and such :-/

- - - Updated - - -

I thought that as well, wouldn't the water have affected it sooner than hanf an hour later? I will poke around with it and see if it dumps any codes and such :-/

Update, after sitting an hour, the car started up like a champ, but the check engine might still remains on. I am goimt to wait for the tow still

- - - Updated - - -

Cabwas able to run for a mile or so, then died. Hitching it up now. Smell of burning oil is very strong, any thoughts? Car will still start though.
    very strange

- - - Updated - - -

Final update of the night, Codes thrown ae P0306 and P0303. Because they are engine misfiringsand given the water, I think that their wires may have small cracks in them causing them to ground against the engine. ANy other thoughts??

Thanks all!

- - - Updated - - -

Solved (I think)

From when I hosed the car off, there was water left near the coil packs. wells No. 3 and 6 have tons of water in them right now. So I am dealing with cleaning that up :-)

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Good luck - very much hope all it was/is, is water where it shouldn't have been... I was wondering if water hadn't gotten into cam position sensor connector or something like that. ... very much hope that once you get it dried out that all is good and there are not further problems.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Drove 80 miles today, no problems at all!

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MVoorhees View Post
    Solved (I think) From when I hosed the car off, there was water left near the coil packs. wells No. 3 and 6 have tons of water in them right now. So I am dealing with cleaning that up :-)
    I love easy solutions. This is why a water hose doesn't fog near my engines. Steam clean next time.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
    I love easy solutions. This is why a water hose doesn't fog near my engines. Steam clean next time.
    Yeah, didn't think that one through. thankfully it was easy as pie!