Thread: New to bmw's... Need some advice.

My Cars
    1995 325ic, 1987 325es

New to bmw's... Need some advice.

First post here... Hello everyone.

I picked up my first BMW for $1000. My free time is quite limited so it's taking me a while to get her back on the road. It's a 1987 325es and it's been sitting for a while. Picked up a new inline fuel pump (tested in tank and it's good) and I'm about to replace the brake master cyl. Other than some tlc that any car would need that has been sitting for a few years it will be good to go. I also have an engine and dif from an I that I can build up on a stand and swap in later for some extra juice. She should be up and running soon, but I couldn't wait any longer so I traded my yj (always been a jeep guy, I've had just about every *j out there) for an e36 325ic. Damn e30 isn't even running yet and I'm already in love with bmw's. And now comes the problem...

I got the e36 for a DD while I fix up the e30. The wife already wants me to get rid of my beater mk2 golf , and now I have two bimmers. Do I fix up the e30 and sell the e36, or keep the e36 and sell the e30? I'm leaning towards keeping the e30, I prefer the spartan driving experience of older cars. They just seem to feel better, more of a carnal relationship with the road vs just driving along. The e36 seems to have better aftermarket support though. Can I get the same rigid tactile road feel out of the e36 with stiffer bushings/suspension?

Which one do I keep?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakawaka View Post
    Which one do I keep?
    The cars

Get a new wife

Cheers

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 325ic, 1987 325es
    I suppose I should add that the car will be a DD which ever one I choose. I don't really care about amenities, don't even care if I have to delete the AC... That's what windows and speed are for. I'm more concerned with which one will 1) give a better driving experience, 2) reliability once all standard maintenance is back up to date, and 3) general opinion of people that have owned both as far as which one they liked more overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheaper to keep the wife.
    Last edited by Wakawaka; 04-25-2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Retardation

My Cars
    1991 325i
    I prefer e30s over e36s, in order to know which one is better for you you will have to drive them, but you also have to factor in the time to fix up your e30. You said free time is limited.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    1995 325ic, 1987 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    I prefer e30s over e36s, in order to know which one is better for you you will have to drive them, but you also have to factor in the time to fix up your e30. You said free time is limited.
    Any particular reason for you choosing the e30 over the e36?

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakawaka View Post
    Any particular reason for you choosing the e30 over the e36?
    A little lighter, much more common to find with an LSD, smaller stock tire size makes new tires cheaper, and at the time clean ones were very cheap to come by. I still enjoy driving e36s very much, but the feel of driving an e30 is a little more connected to the road in my opinion. Someday ill probably get an e36 to play around with once e30s get too hard to find.

My Cars
    1995 325ic, 1987 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    ?.. but the feel of driving an e30 is a little more connected to the road in my opinion...
    I'll probably enjoy the e30 more than. Thanks.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    For basic run of the mill examples i'd prefer e30 over e36, but that eta engine is nothin special.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    For basic run of the mill examples i'd prefer e30 over e36, but that eta engine is nothin special.
    I agree that the Eta engine isnt fast, but it was my first BMW experience and even with stock gearing it was plenty of fun around the back roads and cruised on the highway very nicely.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x5
    you also have to factor in the time to fix up your e30.
    Last edited by caitlinnue; 04-25-2014 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    1995 325ic, 1987 325es
    Thanks for the input gents (?). New fuel pump, lines, and ultrasonic cleaned (just for good measure) injectors go back in this week end. O'rilleys supposedly had the master cyl in stock locally, as per their website.... Apparently that one fell off the back of a truck and I'll have to wait until next weekend to replace that. She should be running this weekend, and able to drive the next. Until then I'll keep driving the e36 like I stole it.