Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to have a 'purrrrfect' idle in the M30 engine??

My Cars
    88m5,2015 Silverado
    Quote Originally Posted by IB635 View Post
    So, as they are 'non-adjustable' in regards to timing, is there anything you can do whilst playing with the timing light to help the situation, or is it just observational fun while drinking a beer?
    Just a fun thing while enjoying, not sure if the aftermarket chips control it any better

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    How airtight and secure is the fat vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster, as well as the brake booster itself?

My Cars
    88m5,2015 Silverado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash01 View Post
    How airtight and secure is the fat vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster, as well as the brake booster itself?
    this car has a hydraulic booster, so no vacuum hoses. Uses the power steering pump to give the boost to the brakes. GM used it way back...

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Quote Originally Posted by IB635 View Post
    So, as they are 'non-adjustable' in regards to timing, is there anything you can do whilst playing with the timing light to help the situation, or is it just observational fun while drinking a beer?
    The timing isn't adjustable - easily, but if you need to adjust it because of a modification it can be done.

The timing should be steady, if it's not then there is a fixable, mechanical reason why.
    The first thing I'd check is the so called bullet proof (on the M30) cam chain and the tensioner and guides.

But I've never seen a dead smooth M30. I had an E28 with an L Jet that was pretty good but not as good as the 4.0 litre Ford straight 6 we have in Australian Falcons. And not even as smooth as the 4.0 V6 I have in my Explorer .

The valve timing on these things is pretty herby isn't it? Nothing until about 2800 then balls to the wall all the way to about 6000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12