Thread: Matching paint under the hood?

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2

Matching paint under the hood?

I'm thinking about shaving some of the extra brackets under the hood, like the cruise control and OEM ABS brackets. I don't plan to completely strip the underhood area (I'm not planing to remove the fuse box or seam sealer, etc).

The Alpine White III on the inner fender appears to be flat, or perhaps satin. Is this simply because it's not clear-coated like the exterior body panels? I've seen sites like PaintScratch and AutomotiveTouchUp that supposedly match OEM colors in a rattle can. Have any of you guys used these products?

Looking for advice on how to best match the paint under the hood, without a full respray.

Thanks.

Tipsy

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    AW III as well here. That is my understanding - bay and underhood do not appear to have any clear coat.

I think the base primer color varies with the different alpine white's available as well. I don't really care about matching the hood so much as I do the fenders and such as I will be clearcoating mine as well. Then again I still have the underhood insulation, I might feel differently if I didn't.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by ckpitt55 View Post
    I don't really care about matching the hood so much as I do the fenders and such as I will be clearcoating mine as well. Then again I still have the underhood insulation, I might feel differently if I didn't.
    I didn't actually mean the underside of the hood. I meant the engine bay (inner fenders, frame rails, firewall). My fault for not being specific.

Tipsy

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    I'm thinking about shaving some of the extra brackets under the hood, like the cruise control and OEM ABS brackets. I don't plan to completely strip the underhood area (I'm not planing to remove the fuse box or seam sealer, etc). The Alpine White III on the inner fender appears to be flat, or perhaps satin. Is this simply because it's not clear-coated like the exterior body panels? I've seen sites like PaintScratch and AutomotiveTouchUp that supposedly match OEM colors in a rattle can. Have any of you guys used these products? Looking for advice on how to best match the paint under the hood, without a full respray. Thanks. Tipsy
    You can get a satin clear coat. It will be very close to the OEM finish.

I did a gloss finish, it turned out looking better than most of my car. Mine isn't white, but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images