Thread: 1 series chain tensioner

My Cars
    2005 BMW 116i

1 series chain tensioner

Hi all i have just joined because i love my car but it costs me so much money i would like to learn more about it so i can potentially do some of the work myself! I don't know how realistic this is but it's worth a shot.

I have a horrible rattling noise coming from my engine when i start the car cold. I think i have narrowed it down to a chain tensioner problem after reading many posts on here.

Has anyone had the same issue and could offer me advice on how best to go about fixing it? It will be very expensive to get it done at a garage and i'm not convinced the garages i have taken it so far for other issues have done the best jobs...

It is a BMW 116i 2005.

Many thanks all

My Cars
    2005 BMW 116i
    So took car to (reputable) garage. They said it was unsafe to drive. They changed the chain tensioner, noise is still there, they've said there's nothing more that they can do and to take it away! £250 down. I don't know what the next step is. Oil filter? Vanos?

Quote Originally Posted by blackers10020 View Post
    So took car to (reputable) garage. They said it was unsafe to drive. They changed the chain tensioner, noise is still there, they've said there's nothing more that they can do and to take it away! £250 down. I don't know what the next step is. Oil filter? Vanos?
    If I were you, I'd my next move would be to find another garage. This time, one familiar with BMW products.

For any shop to tell you "there's nothing more they can do and to take it away", and the noise is still there speaks volumes about their lack of ability to repair BMW's.