eBMWParts

Thread: 1997 328is M Sports Suspension

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is Sport

1997 328is M Sports Suspension

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the game! Thanks for taking a look at my question that has probably been answered before.

Just bought a 97' 328is yesterday and VIN decoded it today.

Indicates M Sports Suspension. (S704A)

Looks like I will need front control arms, tie rod ends inner and outer, front strut assemblies (the whole thing both sides) as well as rear springs and shocks.

Is there really much of a difference between stock OEM E36 suspension and M Sports Suspension...and where might be the best stop to get the M Sports setup new? or at least a comparable and perhaps less expensive alternative? Are the M control arms different as well?

M Sports Suspenion is just ride height and stiffness?

Pardon my newbie questions...thanks in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grego8422 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to the game! Thanks for taking a look at my question that has probably been answered before.

Just bought a 97' 328is yesterday and VIN decoded it today.

Indicates M Sports Suspension. (S704A)

Looks like I will need front control arms, tie rod ends inner and outer, front strut assemblies (the whole thing both sides) as well as rear springs and shocks.

Is there really much of a difference between stock OEM E36 suspension and M Sports Suspension...and where might be the best stop to get the M Sports setup new? or at least a comparable and perhaps less expensive alternative? Are the M control arms different as well?

M Sports Suspenion is just ride height and stiffness?

Pardon my newbie questions...thanks in advance!

Just read a complete post on suspension by something like "spoolman"? Was a great post...just wondering if someone can offer some advice if there's a difference between M3 suspension and M Sports Suspension package

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I've driven on and owned both m3 and non-M sports package suspension. M3 is probably a little more aggressive but I didn't have the chance to compare new vs. new. M3 suspension was shot and the non-M sports suspension was still good. The latter is very good suspension.

If you need replacement parts and want to go with M3 suspension, I suggest Konis. They require modified OE strut housings. Cut off the tops and gut the innards. As for stock m3 or sports packaged non_m suspension I believe the konis are cost competitive. Either stock suspension is good though. Just make sure to replace the ball joints and bushings as well. M3 ride height is lower than sports package I think though not be much. Maybe 1.2-1.3" vs. 1.0-1.1" lower than stock basic suspension.

Other good dampers are bilstein HD or bilstein touring. The bilstein sports are a little stiff for a DD.

I have some used rtab limiters and a sports package sway bar set (front and rear) if you're in need. PM or email me. yo_lev at yahoo.com
    Last edited by scooper; 04-22-2014 at 10:22 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is Sport
    Thanks scooper...I think I'll be tackling the rear sometime down the road, but thanks. I'll keep the parts in mind.

Sounds like I'll do alright with the non-m sports setup.

About halfway done overhaul of the front end currently. Control arms, struts, strut mounts, sway bar links, brakes...

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I also have a m3 akg reinforced rear subframe for sale.

My Cars
    08 535i Sport Pkg
    the M sport suspension will be a lot tighter and stiffer, and also lower to the ground. For the price of all those parts brand new I would go ahead and get aftermarket coilovers, if youre into upgrades.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is Sport
    So....finally got nearly the entire front end replaced.

Control arms, sway bar links, struts, strut mounts, rotors, brakes, tie rods both sides, backing plates, rear brakes and rotors

Lesson learned.... Don't buy cars at auction if you don't want to spend a week working on it and spend more in parts than the car is worth.

Remaining items:
    1.) 11 button obc replacement or fix pixelated screen
    2.) find replacement radio or put aftermarket in
    3.) Steering wheel
    4.) shifter knob
    5.) forward and backward seat motor for passenger side seat
    6.) fix door latch on drivers side
    7.) tensioner pulley and all belts
    8.) figure out clunk from neutral to first from a stop
    9.) tires

anyone want a 1997 328is? Sport package, hellrot red, black interior!!!!

My Cars
    08 535i Sport Pkg
    When you buy a car at auction...a lot of the time it is at the auction for a reason. And that is because they dont want to tell you whats wrong with it before you buy it.

Tough luck, but goodluck with all the replacements!
    2008 535i Sport Pkg
    2007 335i
    2007 Mazda RX-8

OEM BMW Parts

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    The clunk is more than likely one of the following.

Flex disk
    Center bearing
    drive shaft worn out
    diff-bushings or bad diff.

engine or tranny mounts can cause a clunk sometimes.
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!