Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e36 M3; Enjoy it or Store it?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Silver

e36 M3; Enjoy it or Store it?

So I'm posting this because I am in a situation with my e36 m3, and I can't figure out what to do. Any input from you guys would help greatly!! So here it goes: I purchased a 1995 m3 last year with 49k miles on it. I'm not going to say what I paid for it, but lets just say I got a very good deal. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I use as my daily driver, but even so I still put 8k miles since I bought the car April of 2013. My situation lies here: with 57k miles on it now I am debating if I should keep it stock and maintain it (probably keep it in my garage and not really drive it) or if I should enjoy the car meaning drive it, and do some work to it like exhaust, or suspension, rims etc, and ignore that fact that I am putting miles on the car and decreasing its value. I was at a BMW meet yesterday and I was the only e36 m3 there (surprisingly). Being the only M3 at the car meet made me realize that it really is becoming a more and more rare car. And this makes me want to forget the "to-do" list that I have, like purchasing a supersprint exhaust, and some apex arc 8 wheels, etc.. So if you were in my shoes what would you do?? Should I enjoy it or store it?? Thanks ~Danny

My Cars
    98 M3
    Its never going to be worth a LOT. I do think the price for clean low milage e36 m3s will rise a bit, as all "fun" cars will as the spreadsheet racing takes over our beloved sports cars. However, the e36 and e46 just doesn't have what it takes to make an investment. There are too many of them made. Enjoy the shit out of it. I have a relatively low milage, rare colour combo M3 and I intend to enjoy it for as long as I can, and as much as I can. If it sells for a lot, sweet, if not, who cares. Cars are to be enjoyed, not investments. If you want to make real money of the car sell it for 13k and invest it in some riskier stocks. Its more likely to make you some money that actually matters.
    Last edited by notMpowered; 04-18-2014 at 01:59 PM.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Silver
    m3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

m3 2.jpg m3 3.jpg

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Maybe I'm a bit biased since my job revolves around using rare, old race cars like they should be used but I never condone storing a car when you can drive it instead. Like mentioned the car will never be a huge-dollar car, and you'll lose a lot more fun in the (probably many) years before the values become considerable than you would gain in monetary value by not using the car.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    z3
    If you got a good deal on it recently and your long-term goal seems to be to make some money, what is stopping you from selling the M3 for profit now and buying a higher mileage M3 to drive with piece of mind or just pocketing the money?

The values of those cars are not going to go up substantially if at all, low mileage examples like yours may hold steady at about their current price, but you would be fighting inflation in an asset that at best appreciates at less than the rate of inflation (read: you are losing money).

If it was a LTW, a rare color combination, Canadian euro model or otherwise an Individual, matters may be different. But its just another silver E36 M3, thousands and thousands out there.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Should've posted this thread with a poll.

I think you should drive the car you enjoy the most. I own a Subaru wagon and a BMW z4. I drive the Subaru maybe 10 days/year.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2012 bmw m3
    its just another silver E36 M3, thousands and thousands out there.
    Last edited by tmillagegbc; 04-19-2014 at 09:32 PM.

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DannysM3 View Post
    So I'm posting this because I am in a situation with my e36 m3, and I can't figure out what to do. Any input from you guys would help greatly!! So here it goes: I purchased a 1995 m3 last year with 49k miles on it. I'm not going to say what I paid for it, but lets just say I got a very good deal. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I use as my daily driver, but even so I still put 8k miles since I bought the car April of 2013. My situation lies here: with 57k miles on it now I am debating if I should keep it stock and maintain it (probably keep it in my garage and not really drive it) or if I should enjoy the car meaning drive it, and do some work to it like exhaust, or suspension, rims etc, and ignore that fact that I am putting miles on the car and decreasing its value. I was at a BMW meet yesterday and I was the only e36 m3 there (surprisingly). Being the only M3 at the car meet made me realize that it really is becoming a more and more rare car. And this makes me want to forget the "to-do" list that I have, like purchasing a supersprint exhaust, and some apex arc 8 wheels, etc.. So if you were in my shoes what would you do?? Should I enjoy it or store it?? Thanks ~Danny
    Why would you not post the price?

The E36 M3 is not a car that should sit as a show car. It's one of the best cars for modding, DIY, and an excellent drivers car. I would not let it sit, especially considering 57k isn't insanely low and I believe silver is the most common color. Flawless m3's with similar miles are lucky to get $12k these days and more recently many are going for less. Similar M3's with twice the miles go for $8-9k. It's a unique buyers market. It looks like a clean example but I would not say it's special by any means. I would mod it tastefully and enjoy the hell out of it. I now have around 112k on my stage 2 supercharged alpine m3 and I love it to death. It's hard to imagine driving anything else and it would be a shame if I left her to sit. Enjoy your car!

My Cars
    E36 M3/E36 Vert/ E90 N52
    I bought a few low mileage M3s all under 3k and made more than double that. These cars are a dime a dozen and even at that price its not something crazy.

For example a 98 techno M3/4/5 my buddy bought had 70k on it and got it for 6k. One owner car and flawless condition.

I sold my POS daytona M3/2/5 with rust crap interior speakers not working for 6200. Its how much someones willing to buy it for. 19 year old kid bought it and wanted to return it months later after he said clutch was slipping.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerealm124 View Post
    Why would you not post the price?
    Because there is a high probability that he will try to sell it here or someone from here will see the car for sale locally and will know how much profit he is making.

Ive traded a 91 Honda Accord with 200xxx miles (worth about $1,500 at best) +$300 cash for a 95 M3 in decent condition. So yes, these cars can be found cheap

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Drive it and enjoy it or sell it. That is my philosophy for anything other than an antique or classic. If you love driving Jeep Cherokees, buy a few more Jeeps to keep you happy while you preserve the E36M3 for its next owner.

My Cars
    embarrassing jap 4banger
    Drive it, or sell it to someone who will. That car deserves better than to be stuck parked in a garage, even if it's well looked after. My $.02

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    I would drive it.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Yeah a silver 95 from the east coast. You'd be better off selling it and renting out your parking space if you think you're going to make any worthwhile amount of money off of it. For the record, I was offered 4k more than I paid for mine, and turned it down because I still wouldn't be able to buy a car for 17k I'd enjoy more than this.
    Last edited by notMpowered; 04-22-2014 at 01:26 PM.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    08 535i Sport Pkg
    drive it, you bought it for a reason right? To drive and have fun not as an investment. Although the price might rise, it wont rise enough for it to make sense to store it

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JM35 View Post
    drive it, you bought it for a reason right? To drive and have fun not as an investment. Although the price might rise, it wont rise enough for it to make sense to store it
    Considering the OP would not post the price, it sounds like they are already planning on selling it for a large profit to a forum member.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Drive the crap out of it and enjoy every minute of it. I bought my e39 M5 with relatively low miles (69k) last year. I decided there are many lower mileage nicer ones then mine so I am driving it daily. I am also trying my best to bring it up to and keep it in perfect mint condition though, but I do that with all of my cars.

Life is short, there is no reason not to have fun with the car you drive if you have the means to do it.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    Bmw
    Drive it then flip it
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i
    Never going to worth much or anything close to what you're thinking. It's a car and its meant to be driven.

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    Its a mass produced car that is hardly that old. If anything their value is still going down. If you want a garage queen m3 you should look at e30.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    Bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerealm124 View Post
    Considering the OP would not post the price, it sounds like they are already planning on selling it for a large profit to a forum member.
    Go read his first ever thread. He posted a price in there.

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pottsalot View Post
    Go read his first ever thread. He posted a price in there.
    Thanks, good deal

My Cars
    98 M3
    In his first thread everyone is like "omg sell it for profit" now in this thread everyone is like "omg keep it!" Kinda funny.

My Cars
    z3
    He paid 7k and says its worth 12k. Not sure why whoever noticed that couldnt just post it in here...

My advice is the same:
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs
    If you got a good deal on it recently and your long-term goal seems to be to make some money, what is stopping you from selling the M3 for profit now and buying a higher mileage M3 to drive with piece of mind or just pocketing the money?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    Bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    He paid 7k and says its worth 12k. Not sure why whoever noticed that couldnt just post it in here... My advice is the same:
    Lol. I try to respect people, only reason I did not post the original buying price. Let it be known now, I doubt it will hurt the sale though. eBay is most likely his best choice to get close to 12k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast