Thread: e92 engine failure

My Cars
    M3 2011

e92 engine failure

2011 M3 Sedan without competition package, approximately 35000 miles

Oil light came on, engine making a terrible noise, oil all over the front of the engine. They smoked the block no leaks. Initial theory from tech is that some oil leaked from the filter housing, though they needed a tool to remove it and the oil filter housing has no oil on it. Engine lost 1.5 quarts, I drove approximately 2 miles before the I noticed the light according to their data.

Suggestions?

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Sorry to hear this, but this engine has a potential problem with the bearings. Some are fine and others are trashed and lead to engine failure.
    Good luck.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

TRM is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Fast ones.
    Sorry to hear that. Seems the bearing thing is coming up again.

My Cars
    M3 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Seems the bearing thing is coming up again.

Thanks, rod bearing failure, BMW is replacing the motor with a remanufactured unit which I am not happy about at all. Surprisingly (or not if failures are more common than I have been lead to believe) the motor will be delivered on Monday to the dealership. I consider it a loss inn value not having the original engine, so I have asked BMW NA to buy back the car which they are considering.