Thread: Discussion Question: Why are some people so hesitant about discussing costs?

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3

Discussion Question: Why are some people so hesitant about discussing costs?

Over the years here I have noticed that many people are extremely hesitant about publicly posting costs, whether it be buyers who bought FI parts or had labor performed, sellers who recently sold their car, or vendors who are offering parts or services. What do you think the reasoning is behind this and if you have done so personally, why weren't you willing?

When asking members about how much they spent or what they paid for a specific part I often get answers like "too much" or "PM me". I understand at times it is helpful to begin a conversation via PM or give more specific information but I can't wrap my head around the hesitancy during so many other discussions. Is this information really so secret? Are people just embarrassed about what they spent or sold something for? It has made it very difficult to get an accurate perspective of market value and comparisons between sellers/shops/vendors. It is also very frustrating at times when it seems so harmless to share the information. The most recent response I got to this was after a car sat for over six months and just finally sold after a few price drops. When asking the seller what the car finally sold for the response I got was: "Sorry brother...you gotta pay to play. Seriously though, the new owner is a member of this forum, so it is over to him if he want's to disclose that." Would disclosing the selling price really harm or offend the new owner? I just can't understand these responses(or lack there of)

I commend the members who have offered the transparency of their sales and build costs. Some of it has been tremendously helpful, pbonsalb once even broke down his entire turbo build for me when I simply asked for a total cost since I'm looking to do a similar build. The information is saved on my computer and has proved incredibly useful not only for knowing which parts were used in a proven turbo build, but allowing me to ballpark approximately what I would need for each piece of my upcoming build.

So, why do you think some members are so against stating prices/costs publicly? (or at all)

My Cars
    BMW M3
    well for the buyers who bought FI parts or had labor performed, they probably don't disclose it because custom fab work and labor on stuff like that is extremely expensive. maybe they are embarrassed or just don't want to be subjected to a bunch of tools who tell them how much cheaper it could have been done. as far as sellers who recently sold their car not disclosing the price, it might be something similar. bunch of people telling them they either sold it too cheap, or ripped somebody off. and for venders offering parts/services, usually there can be huge variations in cost depending on application/options/variations, so it's better to do quotes. or at least "get the customer through the door" (their website) where they can be sold on the product before going over the numbers

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    ^ This.

If you say a price, some will think it's too low and automatically assume you are selling s**t or bought a piece. If they think it's high, they'll chime a thousand times to tell you "Bob's uncles friend's cousin could have done it better for less" ... so people simply don't.

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    I think both of you make some good points. Especially regarding the vendors getting people "through the door" and not wanting people to back out immediately based on price. It's the buyers and sellers that I just don't get. d1984 you may be correct in that many are embarrassed about what they spent or that they feel they sold something too cheap. It is extremely frustrating when trying to keep track of true market values instead of just what cars list for(which lately is several thousand dollars higher than they sell for). It is also difficult to gain any ballpark of a shops/tuners costs when people are unwilling to discuss what they paid. Since I'm still a ways a way from my next FI build it would be a waste of a shops time for me to go over plans of a build so far down the road, just to have to go over it again in the future or change my mind. But with members and the community, I would think that sharing this information would be a great way for others to plan out these builds in advance and not get over their heads by buying parts and not realizing the huge labor expenses or forgetting that an appropriate clutch could cost upwards of $1,000. It reminds me a bit of the closed e36 tuning market although not nearly as bad(and a different situation).

I understand that some work is custom, but I would think many things are priced very similarly (example: 3.5" exhaust for e36 chassis or common turbo kit installation). But I've seen numerous times members were unwilling to disclose such information, even when others are looking to have virtually identical work done, often times in the same shop.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    well with cars, one good way to see what they sell for is to go on ebay motors, search for the car, and filter it by sold. it will tell you the dates and prices. of course that's not always indicative of local markets

My Cars
    z3
    I think the biggest consideriation here is all about the ego. I think a lot of BMW owners think spending the most money is the only way to get the best products. Though this obviously isnt true, they buy coal for the price of diamonds and are ashamed about it when they realize their mistake. Admitting they did so would bruise their ego. So they spend $5,000 on a custom fabbed exhaust that uses the same stuff someone who paid $100 for an exhaust paid, then when pressed about it dont want to disclose how much they paid. Some people get taken advantage of (unfortunately everyone who HAS money isnt good at managing it) some people just dont understand and some people just dont care, but they overpay or this or that and dont want to admit to themselves much less to other people.

Thats not to say there arent those who spend their money responsibly and just plain dont wish to share that personal info, but I think a lot of those who dont especially when they do it repeatedly, are ashamed and its an ego issue for them.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Very good points^