Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: \\ VF: Limited time only - all Z3 Superchargers price drop //

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    I keep looking at this thread. Are there some youtube install directions? The upgrade is so very tempting. If I was certain I could do it myself, it becomes much more possible.

Do some members have real world before / after reviews?
    ...looking for some sun.

2.3 1999 Boston Green Z3

My Cars
    Superchargers
    Please email sales@vf-engineering.com and I will reply with a copy of the instructions or PM me your email. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cjd3060 View Post
    I keep looking at this thread. Are there some youtube install directions? The upgrade is so very tempting. If I was certain I could do it myself, it becomes much more possible.

Thank you for everyone's orders!

There's now less than 1 day left. Don't wait until the last minute to send your Order Form:
    http://vf-engineering.com/vf_2011/pd...erform_new.pdf

Drive Dynamic.
    Audi | BMW | Lamborghini | Porsche | Spyker
    e: sales@vf-engineering.com
    p: 714-528-0066

My Cars
    2002 Z3, Pathfinder(R50)
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Nice! Congrats on the mid-life crisis. I hope you enjoy it it as much as I do!

Today must be the day. A close friend was emailing me earlier, and it looks like I will be installing one of these for her
    Yes, you are!

I promise to bring more of mom's baked goods! haha

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3060 View Post

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t-instal-notes

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 roadster
    I was really considering this, but this install tread scared me off. Dang.

I guess I like blue....Focus ST & 1997 2.8i

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by gbirkemeier View Post
    I was really considering this, but this install tread scared me off. Dang.
    Don't be scared. It's not as simple as installing a cold air intake, but it is doable. VF provides good customer support, and it looks like they have made the software upgrade portion more straight forward. The power gains are real and worth it. I would do it again iif I hadn't done it already. When my kit came out they hadn't really tailored it to the Z3, but used the kit for an e36, and the directions were not very clear. They have had three years now to address these issues and make improvements. Download the current instructions and read them through to see if you think you're up to it. If you aren't in a hurry and can take your time this is a doable project. I would add to my suggestions in the install notes to replace the alternator while you're in there--otherwise it all has to come out again if you need to replace it three years down the road (ask me how I know). Also, I would recommend rebuilding the VANOS at the same time, so as to avoid duplicating work.

In the end it all comes down to your level of skill and confidence in working on your car. If you wouldn't tackle changing the spark plugs, or rebuilding the cooling system on your car, you shouldn't tackle this as your first big project. But, if you've ever replaced a timing belt, rebuilt a VANOS, changed a Saab water or fuel pump (now those are not jobs for the faint hearted), this shouldn't scare you off.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Don't be scared. It's not as simple as installing a cold air intake, but it is doable. VF provides good customer support, and it looks like they have made the software upgrade portion more straight forward. The power gains are real and worth it. I would do it again iif I hadn't done it already. When my kit came out they hadn't really tailored it to the Z3, but used the kit for an e36, and the directions were not very clear. They have had three years now to address these issues and make improvements. Download the current instructions and read them through to see if you think you're up to it. If you aren't in a hurry and can take your time this is a doable project. I would add to my suggestions in the install notes to replace the alternator while you're in there--otherwise it all has to come out again if you need to replace it three years down the road (ask me how I know). Also, I would recommend rebuilding the VANOS at the same time, so as to avoid duplicating work.

In the end it all comes down to your level of skill and confidence in working on your car. If you wouldn't tackle changing the spark plugs, or rebuilding the cooling system on your car, you shouldn't tackle this as your first big project. But, if you've ever replaced a timing belt, rebuilt a VANOS, changed a Saab water or fuel pump (now those are not jobs for the faint hearted), this shouldn't scare you off.
    would you recommend it on a daily driver?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAz3M View Post
    would you recommend it on a daily driver?
    Well, not from a fuel economy standpoint--I get 16 or 17 mpg after all is said and done. But if that's not a problem, I don't see why not. It is very well behaved below 4,500 rpm, and a monster above--so for tootling around, just keep it in the low end range--but for leaving that [insert name of car here] (but NOT 911 twin turbo) in the dust, you just punch it and hang on.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    I used mine as a daily driver for roughly 1.5y before I started commuting by bike full time. I had a few small bugs to work out in the beginning but that was in 2006 when I was probably one of the first Z cars that ran the system. I also can't say there was a deterioration in fuel economy in normal driving. Maybe 1mpg?

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post
    I also can't say there was a deterioration in fuel economy in normal driving. Maybe 1mpg?
    I think a lot depends on how you drive; I lost more like 3 mpg, but I never did much better than 19 or 20mpg with the stock S52 before I went with the SC. I have seen some people report significantly better mpg's with their S52's---I'm a lead foot when it comes to that.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Thanks guys! Any issues with overheating the coolant or oil in hot weather?

My Cars
    2k M Coupe
    I installed the s54 oil cooler when i did the stage 1 install. I opted for that instead of going straight to stage 2, figuring cooling was needed. makes about a 30 degree difference on the s52.

Stage 1 at least is still very much a daily driver. I went with Active since they are local here in Miami, but im sure they kit are similar

were close if you want to check it out sometime. I know we've been trying to setup a drive or lunch... with terry.. never seems to work out..

Brian

Active HKS Stage 1 S/Crrrrr: m50 intake: Euro Oil Cooler: AA Exhaust: H&R/Bilstien

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I also went with an S54 oil cooler (and filter housing) when I installed the SC, and upgraded the radiator--1st to an S54 radiator, and then to a Zionsville Type 12 Competition aluminum radiator, shroud, and overflow, with Spal electric fan (mechanical fan delete)--I figured that if it's going to produce 100+ HP over stock, that stock cooling (which is barely sufficient as it stands) was insufficient to deal with the extra heat likely to be produced.

This was also about a year after doing a complete cooling system overhaul with the Stewart pump, aluminum thermostat housing and water pump pulley (+ every single other component in the cooling system). I do not have any cooling issues.

At the same time as the SC install I also had RF install his trunk floor/subframe reinforcement kit, Rogue diff cover and Ireland RSFB's. Also at the same time I replaced the struts and shocks with Bilstien HD, the strut mounts RTAB's, LCAB's (poly), LCA's (Meyle HD), stabilizer bar ends (front and rear), stabilizer bar mounts (front and rear), motor mounts, trans mounts, and the inner and out tie rods ends.

This was probably overkill, but I figured that you can't just add close to 50% more HP without also addressing all the other systems that would be effected by it.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    I don't have any special cooling, just an aluminum radiator. The oil cooler could be a good idea if you drive around in hot weather a lot.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Thanks again! Useful information....I won't be going the SC route just yet, but it's in the plans for the near future

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123