Thread: Coinholder alternatives?

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)

Coinholder alternatives?

So, I just installed the later style cupholder/ashtray/coin-holder assembly in my '94 (by "install" i mean I cut off the prongs that extend down below the bottom of the cupholders and hold it in place in the later models and just dropped it in the space..fits perfectly). The thing is, the frame I have doesn't have a coinholder, and so there is a gap at the front of the unit.

I realize its not that expensive a part so may just buy a new one - thing is, I'm currently using the empty space - I slot my iphone in there when I drive. The phone can't slide in under the cupholder because its too long/the gap isn't wide enough, and that leaves the sunglasses holder under the OBC open for sunglasses...also means the phone is more accessible.

Now I'm wondering whether or not I'll bother with the coinholder (not like I'd use it anyways) and maybe try something else - has anyone out there experimented with this idea? Maybe a drop-in tray, lined with felt or something that would be less specialized than the gimicky and notoriously fragile coinholder?

Thanks all.

1994 M3 Eurospec (Canadian Edition) #25 (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=12244)

My Cars
    98 M3//06 EVO IX MR
    I'm hoping to find something similar to you. I'm trying to redo my interior and a few other things, but am coming up short.

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJames View Post
    So, I just installed the later style cupholder/ashtray/coin-holder assembly in my '94 (by "install" i mean I cut off the prongs that extend down below the bottom of the cupholders and hold it in place in the later models and just dropped it in the space..fits perfectly). The thing is, the frame I have doesn't have a coinholder, and so there is a gap at the front of the unit.

I realize its not that expensive a part so may just buy a new one - thing is, I'm currently using the empty space - I slot my iphone in there when I drive. The phone can't slide in under the cupholder because its too long/the gap isn't wide enough, and that leaves the sunglasses holder under the OBC open for sunglasses...also means the phone is more accessible.

Now I'm wondering whether or not I'll bother with the coinholder (not like I'd use it anyways) and maybe try something else - has anyone out there experimented with this idea? Maybe a drop-in tray, lined with felt or something that would be less specialized than the gimicky and notoriously fragile coinholder?

Thanks all.

When I installed a Grom unit for my stereo I pulled out the coin holder and removed the spring loaded flaps then a tiny touch with a dremel and I slid in a good looking socket in the quarter size that has a usb and aux combo plug, the nickle one got the other usb, and I have been experimenting for a bit with the best way to have the bluetooth mic go in the center one... I actually might buy a flush mount mic and it will all look completely factory.

Sorry, I'm at work right now so I can't post a photo... If I get home early enough I will post one then.

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamrobin View Post
    When I installed a Grom unit for my stereo I pulled out the coin holder and removed the spring loaded flaps then a tiny touch with a dremel and I slid in a good looking socket in the quarter size that has a usb and aux combo plug, the nickle one got the other usb, and I have been experimenting for a bit with the best way to have the bluetooth mic go in the center one... I actually might buy a flush mount mic and it will all look completely factory.

Sorry, I'm at work right now so I can't post a photo... If I get home early enough I will post one then.
    Very interested to hear more about this - pics would be awesome. Thanks

1994 M3 Eurospec (Canadian Edition) #25 (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=12244)

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    I think you can fit a storage tray if you remove a cupholder and the coinholder. i cant remember off the top of my head but i can try it later tonight if you really want to know.

Here is the storage tray i am referring to.

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    Wow, CF overload. Yeah, that would be fine, except that the way the frame for the cupholders, etc is broken up by the plastic pieces that run accross it, I'm not sure I could configure it the way I want to..

I'll take a look tonight/take some pics to show what I mean

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    ^that tray is discontinued, btw. Been trying to find one for a while....

My Cars
    E36
    LOL CF everywhere...but not on the guage pod? weird.

Tray is cool though.

My beater had just a ashtray thing, w/o cupholders. Kinda weird...can't remember now what the deal was, think it was just missing the cupholder. I stuck one in and left it, but thought the way it was was decent for just a tray.

- - - Updated - - -

then with cupholder

- - - Updated - - -

ok, quick looked it up. Can remove the cupholders and run just a flip tray thing it looks like.

BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    Yeah, the thing for me is though that I need the cupholders..or at least 1. I'd love to say "no drinks in my car" etc, but its not realistic. Might replace the ash-tray with the storage unit, keep one cupholder and modify the coinholder to contain a usb-in. Turn the console into a charging station for the phone. Pretty useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jamrobin View Post

Was the socket essentially the same sort of thing as the cigarette lighter?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Damn, I REALLY want that tray to replace the cupholder + ashtra (or cointray, whatever fits). I do still need one cupholder (coffee run before every slalom/trackday) but having 2 is pretty pointless.

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Guys. That tray is awesome. But it doesn't exist any more.

You COULD run two trays and a cupholder, though. And the trays were only like 9 bucks when they were available.

And yeah- two cupholders is COMPLETELY useless when you have an armrest....

And Moron95- that's how all the european cars came. With no frame for the cup holder system at all, and just an ash tray. The cup holder frame then just goes into that... which was standard in the US. I've seen a few others like yours, though- that just didn't have anything at all.

TRM is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Fast ones.
    It's too bad the euro storage tray is NLA. It was awesome.

There was a rear one as well to replace the ashtray.

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    The rear ashtray one is still available. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...19626/ES85428/

And it's not the euro storage tray. Remember- europe never even got the frames to put that storage tray/ ash tray/ cup holder/ etc into.

Instead, in europe (or the US without ANY options on the car) got a different ash tray that went right into the console, like Moron has. There was a storage tray that goes into THERE http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...19624/ES85427/ if you got a non-smoking car.

But note that this above tray DOES NOT work with any of the factory cup holder options.

TRM is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Fast ones.
    I've always heard it referred to as a euro storage tray. I have never seen it factory installed into any E36 in the US Market.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    The one shown in moron's pictures is an early version without the center console armrest, later was design changed to a slightly different ashtray and added cup holders+coin tray (and armrest).
    Her is mine, replaced the ashtray and also added the USB charging plug to the center console.
    Last edited by M3C; 04-19-2014 at 12:03 AM.

My Cars
    Too many