Thread: Sink drain turbo intake opinion

My Cars
    1998 328is

Sink drain turbo intake opinion

hey guys, i'm looking for a general consensus on this idea i had..

because my turbo intake filter melted on me, i'm thinking about doing the front bumper sink drain mod, and run 2 x 2 3/4" air craft ducting into a Y, and then off the Y run a single 2 3/4" duct to the turbo intake. aircraft ducting rated for 350 deg. F.

was thinking i'd put screens at the 2 sink drains to keep obvious debris out (leaves), a screen on each outlet of the Y (3 total), and a screen on the turbo intake.. not sure what material to use for screens if someone wouldn't mind chiming in on what works good

i know the first derp is that the sink drain takes air flow away from the intercooler/rad.. im planning to use my brake ducts for a DIY brake cooling project, and my fog lights i'd like to leave them alone kuz i like the look of the black covers

second derp is like rain and wet conditions.. whether that would clog the sink drain screens i'm not too sure

bonus are having a fresh air intake.. air temps around here throughout the year average like 10 or 15 degrees celcius which is pretty sweet.. better than engine bay temps.

i'm pretty serious about doing it.. would just like to hear some thoughts and opinions kuz i'm pretty much a n00b

thanks in advance

sink drain.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

pulling the trigger on this.. using ramair foam for filters.. will get it sorted out and post pics

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    What exactly is the "Sink drain" mod you are talking about?
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    I'd do a heatshield around the filter. Easier. You won't gain any performance with fresh air on a turbo car. If that ducting colapses, your in trouble aswell. It just seems like a risk for little gain.
    Last edited by graphite9; 04-16-2014 at 09:25 AM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by graphite9 View Post
    I'd do a heatshield around the filter. Easier. You won't gain any performance with fresh air on a turbo car. If that ducting colapses, your in trouble aswell. It just seems like a risk for little gain.
    I think fresh air is very important. One thing I have been putting off is changing my intake piping. I would think we have the same setup, you and me. But I want to drop the piping down from up top to the lower part of the bumper.

Reasoning is that I generally lose 2-3 MPH trap after the first run. This is not hot lapping. I normally make a pass, open the hood, leave the cooling fans on for a little bit. Maybe 15 minutes in between passes. Pbonsalb's trap speeds stay consistent, with a low mounted intake pipe. He is also running methanol as well.

My plan is to reroute the intake pipe and also fabricate a decent hood vent. If that doesn't keep my power up, I will have to invest in methanol or a small shot for the track.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    95 M3
    I for one have a small heat shield between my manifold and filter, (I'm bottom mount with the filter on a silicone coupling in front of turbo, behind ac compressor). Two 4" ducts from the bumper brake inlets rout fresh air toward the filter. No issues for me.

OP, that is some heat you have going on there with uour top mount. Interested In this developement. You could cut the high beam out like other top mount folks?

Edit; butters what do you trap BTW. ?
    Last edited by hsvturbo; 04-16-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    WOT

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe GT35R
    What I did.

First TRM stage II of 2013?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5
    Hsvturbo do you have any pictures of your intake setup? Sounds like a nice solution.
    93 325is: obd2 M52, 22rpd tuned, 6266, RSI manifold, 555whp on 18psi

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    I for one have a small heat shield between my manifold and filter, (I'm bottom mount with the filter on a silicone coupling in front of turbo, behind ac compressor). Two 4" ducts from the bumper brake inlets rout fresh air toward the filter. No issues for me.

OP, that is some heat you have going on there with uour top mount. Interested In this developement. You could cut the high beam out like other top mount folks?

HSV, what exactly is the high beam?

thanks for all the responses guys, glad to get a conversation going around this topic. a great video i picked up on youtube goes over some air intake methods and theories:

im actually not going to do the sink drain mod i was talking about earlier. i priced it out and was at about 180CA with shpping and taxes on high heat ducting and fittings and the like. the video i posted actually convinced me against it as well, just because the gains and optimization seem pretty marginal.

Vibrant is also sending me a replacement filter at no cost. i do seem to have heat soak issues, and i'll see as to whether or not my newly installed under panel and slim fan will take care of that. i should fab my own heat shield just because its an easy and inexpensive mod that can probably help me with this problem, im just not the best craftsman with metal, sheet metal has commonly been my downfall, but you gotta start somewhere

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    120 +/- . This was running 17-18 psi.
    This year I should be running 19-21 @ the track , with my new favorite controller.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 04-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    95 M3
    The high beam: there was a video floating around, that showed Mike R's e36 with a round hole cut in the headlight to feed the turbo. You will see E30's do it all the time too.

Nice speed there Butters.
    WOT

My Cars
    1998 328is
    The high beam: there was a video floating around, that showed Mike R's e36 with a round hole cut in the headlight to feed the turbo. You will see E30's do it all the time too.

Nice speed there Butters.
    ah gotcha, yes i have seen that. looks very functional but i have sentimental feelings towards my head lights :P

My Cars
    1987 325is M50 turbo
    Like this! I just have a screen in mine!ResizedImage_1375067091861_zpsbf879c69.jpg

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Cy…… a good filter is more important than using a bad filter in a cooler location. I think the rule of thumb is for every 10ºF reduction of IAT you will see 1% gain in power but that is IAT not turbo inlet air temp.

Butters…...Phillips water injection is what kept his temps in check. He probably is getting the same intercooler heat soak as you are having. What size is your intercooler? Have you ducted the inlet and the outlet of your intercooler co that your fan draws air through the intercooler?
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.