Thread: Just won't fire up

My Cars
    1990 525i, 06 Audi A6 SQ

Just won't fire up

So Its been fine the 8 months ive owned it. I drove it around today and came back home.

I went to leave again and it started and idle dropped, made two turn overs like it was gargling and died. I tried to start it again and it would crank perfect and fast but not fire up.

I removed the valve cover, top chain is nice and tight, and from what I can see/tell/feel the main chain is nice and tight.

How would I know if it jumped timing?

I'm going to replace the spark plugs and fuel filter, and add some new gas and heet/fuel treatment in hopes of maybe just being a clogged fuel filter?

Just happened out of no where.

1992 325i, 5 speed, 223,000 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

So I pulled the valve cover. Timing looks fine. Upper chain is nice and tight and the lower chain appears to be the same way..m

I replaced all 6 spark plugs. Here is where it gets interesting. Cyl 1 and 2 had regular Bosch plus plugs, two prong.
    But cyl 3-6 had the same plugs but a shorter version... The threads were only half as long... Wtf.

Anyone I replaced thmlem with basic copper plugs.
    So it still didn't start after that...
    So I replaced the fuel filter. Which was a pita. And still no fix... The line had fuel all the way to the injectors so I'm guessing the fuel pump is fine too...

Idk wtf

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    Have you confirmed the fuel pump is working? This sounds like FP failure
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    97 318i, 00 f350 +++
    i would start with the fuel pump..... my first thought was blockage but you said you had fuel at the line into the injectors.....

the car is cranking so your starter works but no fire

fire needs: fuel, air and spark your not getting one of the 3 simple as that
    Last edited by ogkush420; 04-15-2014 at 06:23 AM.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ny-sedan-parts
    e36 parts for sale

"n if your plan fell through a few times let me tell you one of the main ingredients of success is failure"

My Cars
    1990 525i, 06 Audi A6 SQ
    Yeah the next thing I'm going to check is the fuel pump. I'll have to search to figure out how to check it first.

Here's something I ran into, When i pulled my spark plugs, cylinder 1 and 2 had normal looking plugs. 3 - 6 are shorter versions of the same exact plug though....
    It's re an great for 8 months since it bought it but wtf...
    I threw in some basic copper plugs. Gapped at .032" like i read they should be.

I have pics looking down into each cylinder if anyone was interested in them.

Here's the spark plugs. Forgive the drawings, I'm on my tablet.

Last edited by Firefighter3244; 04-15-2014 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    1990 525i, 06 Audi A6 SQ
    No insight in the different spark plugs? It couldn't have damaged anything?

So local auto stores have fuel pump for $200. Of course eBay has some for $50 shipped.

Worth waiting a few days to save the $150? Or just fork over the 200..... Its a beater I paid $500 for the car 8 months ago.

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    NO NO NO
    Test the fuel pump before replacing it. Please don't throw parts at it. It will get unnecessarily expensive and just frustrate you. If you have already checked the pump, the my bad, but it sounds like you priced them before confirming that is the problem.

As for the plugs, it looks like someone in the past replaced some with incorrect plugs With the correct ones, you should get a bit more performance than you have seen. Those short ones wouldn't seem to ignite as well as the longer ones.
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    1990 525i, 06 Audi A6 SQ
    I haven't bought the pump yet. Ill swap the fuel relay before I do anything else just to check it, if that doesn't fix it I'm going to Autozone here in a little bit to get their complete fuel test kit ( Free loan a tool program ) and I'll check the pressure the pump is putting out before I replace it.

I guess we'll see. Appreciate it. If it's not the fuel pump or the relay what else could it be?

- - - Updated - - -

So I didn't know that I have two fuel pumps.... really?
    Got the test kit, Guess I'll test both of course. Really hope it's not both....

- - - Updated - - -

Alright so I hooked up the test kit and it's reading absolutely zero. No pressure at all. I have it connected to the correct line. Since their closed and I can't get the pump until tomm I'm going to check and make sure the relay is getting power from the main relay. I swapped the fuel relay and it still didn't change anything. So, Last resort is making sure the main relay is sending power to the fuel relay.

But yeah, I assume it's the fuel pump. Also found out only the passenger side is the fuel pump, the other side is just a smaller pump to equal out the tanks. ( But.... what if that is bad??? )

- - - Updated - - -

WTF.... So I had no pressure at all... I bridged the relay so the pump had power so I could test it with a multi-meter to make sure the power was getting to the pump.

As I go to unplug the connector from the fuel pump it cuts on. wtf... I giggled it and the pump ran. So, I put the relay back in, turned the car to on and it was pumping... 50lbs.. Perfect....
    So I start the car and it's running great... at like 51lbs of fuel pressure...

It must have just been a dirty connection?
    I'm going to keep driving it... since it's working great and is showing great fuel pressure... I'll clean the connections and put some dye electric grease in there.

Just saved me $200!

I guess there is a bright side to this story outside of saving $200, I replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs and now with the savings I'll do some more maintence stuff like tranny fluid and rear diff fluid.
    I'm going to run some bottles of fuel system cleaner to maybe clean the injectors a little bit.

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    Sweeeeeet. It would have been better if I had saved ME $200, but you saving that is cool too. Good idea on the dielectric grease
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS