My Cars
    325es, lotus esprit,750l

Thinking of a X5 but the more i talk to owners the more they are former owners

Can it be that the x5 is such a unreliable vehicle. My friend has a 08 3.0 sport and he get stuck 3 times in 3 months, the first was the fuel pump relay then the fuel pump then the battery. Can it be that it cost 800 to replace the battery on a x5? It seems that the more I talk to people the more they are talking me out of buying one. I have owned many bmw's and the you would think the most unreliable would be the e38 750 but it was awesome and I loved that car and sorry I sold it.

My Cars
    08 BMW X5
    I have a 08 X5 3.0si for the past 2.5 years, it has been a great car. It has great power, a ton of space and very stylish. In reference to your friends X5, (just like every other make of car), it may be it is a lemon or bad timing. Hope it works out for him and hope you do more research to see if the X5 is for you. Good luck in your search.

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    My E53(s) are as reliable as I make them to be.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    I have a 2001 X5 3.0 with 123K miles on it. The only problem it has ever had was one cooling fan failed. This car has been ridiculously reliable and I would only replace it with another X5, it is fantastic!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusing View Post
    Can it be that it cost 800 to replace the battery on a x5?
    Only if you go to the dealer!
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    Only if you go to the dealer!
    Dealers are one of the few repair facilities equipped or have the knowledge to code a new battery for the later Xs. It's no longer just going to to Wally Mart and having some pimple faced kids swapping in a new battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Hate to admit it but attack_eagle is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofBavaria View Post
    ............. then upallnight has probably got it right
    Spirit

My Cars
    2008 BMW X5 4.8i
    I cant really say a whole lot here since I've only been an owner for a month, but I put nearly 1000 miles on my 2008 4.8i and haven't had a single hiccup yet (knock on wood lol). But I've heard A LOT of good things about BMW, as this is my first. Shes running strong! 81,000 on the clock.

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    If you're a DIYer and have a good mechanical aptitude and don't mind working on car then a X may be a good truck. If you are not a diyer and must rely on someone else to fix your cars then a X is not the right truck for you. Repairs adds up quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Hate to admit it but attack_eagle is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofBavaria View Post
    ............. then upallnight has probably got it right
    Spirit