Thread: The BMW 228i Coupe with Track Handling Package

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Post The BMW 228i Coupe with Track Handling Package

BMW announced today the availability of the all-new Track Handling Package for the 2015 BMW 228i Coupe. Inspired by the original formula of BMW “S-package” vehicles manufactured in the course of the past three decades, the new Track Handling Package embraces the desires of the most enthusiastic BMW drivers.

More...

My Cars
    z3
    No LSD no care...

C'mon BMW

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Bmw
    That brake setup is a game changer
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    "S-pack", as in 328is, 335is, etc?

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red
    2004 E46 325 M56 Steel Metallic Blue - Sold

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    No LSD no care...

C'mon BMW
    Maybe 1% of the people that buy this option (probably considerably less) will put the car on the track so, it seems like a good move for BMW.

How many Ranger Rovers ever see a dirt road, much less a range?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Maybe 1% of the people that buy this option (probably considerably less) will put the car on the track so, it seems like a good move for BMW. How many Ranger Rovers ever see a dirt road, much less a range?
    Sadly this is a very accurate argument.

LSD is like $3-4k with installation, right? The whole handling option from BMW will probably cost more. The ZHP option was $4300 in 2003!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Maybe 1% of the people that buy this option (probably considerably less) will put the car on the track so, it seems like a good move for BMW.

How many Ranger Rovers ever see a dirt road, much less a range?
    LSD's have functionality on more than just a track. Highways near me have many wide sweeping turns and at high speeds without an LSD the backend wavers. I feel it on our 128i all the time and it would be a shame to make a more handling-dedicated car without a proper LSD. My Z4 does it too and I imagine yours as well montaillou, at the right speeds and the right turn. An LSD also helps inspire more confidence, something youd think a "track handling" package would value, not to mention that BMW should design a "track handling" package for the people who do track their car, not the 99% who just want to tick an option box that makes their car seem sportier.

BMW could get an LSD into the car for (way) less than $1500 per unit but they wont. Because you guys are right, MOST people wont notice. Shame its not like the E30 days where sport package = LSD and lower suspension.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    More and more I read comments from people along the lines of "what is BMW thinking...", etc. and it's obvious to me that BMW is thinking about their shareholders. They're also thinking about all the people out there who know little about their car beyond its colour and make.

I don't think BMW is interested in presenting options that necessarily make sense but more along the lines of if they hype it people will buy it. Or to put it another way, I believe BMW is moving away from the "ultimate driving machine" to a more generic car sold with a legacy of great driving behind it.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    I never said BMW should cater to the demographic of enthusiasts like myself who generally buy used cars and thus have no effect on their bottom line. I readily admitted that this option is really for that 99% of people. That doesnt change the fact that BMW didnt call it the "ultimate entry level status symbol package" they called it a "track package" without offering substantial benefits on the track. What was wrong with a "sports" package or a "BMW performance" package? Both of those make it sound cool and valuable without making promises it cant keep.

Yes, BMW does this to make more money and I am not complaining about that. But its essentially false advertising that caters to those who want "the best" without actually knowing what the best actually is. My issue is simply with the term "track package" and not adding one of the first thing BMW enthusiasts add to their new BMWs when they track them... an LSD

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Did you know Mclaren doesn't use a mechanical LSD on any of it's cars? P1 included...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    LSD's have functionality on more than just a track. Highways near me have many wide sweeping turns and at high speeds without an LSD the backend wavers. I feel it on our 128i all the time and it would be a shame to make a more handling-dedicated car without a proper LSD. My Z4 does it too and I imagine yours as well montaillou, at the right speeds and the right turn. An LSD also helps inspire more confidence, something youd think a "track handling" package would value, not to mention that BMW should design a "track handling" package for the people who do track their car, not the 99% who just want to tick an option box that makes their car seem sportier. BMW could get an LSD into the car for (way) less than $1500 per unit but they wont. Because you guys are right, MOST people wont notice. Shame its not like the E30 days where sport package = LSD and lower suspension.
    My ZHP never has any back end "wavering" at normal speeds/acceleration. Only under track/autocross type conditions does the back end have a problem. And that's with a 3.64 diff. Maybe you have some bad bushings or something.

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Did you know Mclaren doesn't use a mechanical LSD on any of it's cars? P1 included...

This

My Cars
    E28s
    Highways near me have many wide sweeping turns and at high speeds without an LSD the backend wavers
    Maybe you don't understand how your car works.
    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsch View Post
    My ZHP never has any back end "wavering" at normal speeds/acceleration. Only under track/autocross type conditions does the back end have a problem. And that's with a 3.64 diff. Maybe you have some bad bushings or something.
    Yeah a brand new 2011 128 has bad bushings Your car has a different suspension setup, and you arent going the same speeds through the same type of turn I am. Its not a direct comparison, so how can you even say your car doesnt have the same problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by euroshark View Post
    Maybe you don't understand how your car works.
    Maybe you dont understand how my car works, since its my car, and I dont see a 128i listed as a car you own.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Oooo somebody's getting defensive.

Your car shouldn't be "wavery" at 70mph on any public road in dry conditions, corner or straight. It's not because it's lacking a LSD. There's something else going on.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsch View Post
    Oooo somebody's getting defensive.

Your car shouldn't be "wavery" at 70mph on any public road in dry conditions, corner or straight. It's not because it's lacking a LSD. There's something else going on.
    I never said 70mph did I? I am getting defensive because you guys are getting on my case, and your only getting on my case because you dont actually understand what I am saying and dont understand what an LSD can do on high speed sweeping turns.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Is traction being lost in these high speed sweeping turns? I am trying to understand where an LSD would play a role here...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Is traction being lost in these high speed sweeping turns? I am trying to understand where an LSD would play a role here...
    I only know its the LSD because all my cars without an LSD do it, and all my cars with an LSD dont. Its a fairly tight sweeping, banked turn and I have only ever noticed it on that particular turn which is tighter than you see on most highways.

I think what is happening is I am going at a high enough speed at a tight enough turning angle that it causes a drastic difference in rear wheel speeds, and I think the wavering is actually the car trying to get them back in line by braking one then the other because it doesnt feel like a strictly mechanical phenomena. I havent tried it with traction control off but next time I hit that corner I will turn off traction control and see what happens. Basically it seems like the car is trying to replicate having an LSD by keeping the wheels going the same speed, and in that turn it just doesnt work out that well.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS