Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2014 Chinese GP @ Shanghai

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    It reminds of the fuel saving efforts with 100kg and max 100kg/hour flow rates. Then you take fuel used by 1 jumbo to transfer all the teams equipment to/from races or even...

the cars the teams use to get to/from the track and it becomes a total bullshit solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    THANK YOU.

Also, whoever uttered the words "spec" and "chassis," in that order; no.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post

+1 to no telemetry.
    Throw back in-race-refueling to the mix for less emphasis on fuel saving, and I think we have something that doesn't cost billions to implement.

I'd love to see old school lemans starts where everyone runs to their cars and straps themselves in.. but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves..
    Refueling is a bad idea just due to the risk involved. And I'd love to see a running start, but again with the safety.
    2007 BMW 335i: stock for the foreseeable future.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller View Post
    it always amazes me the things I see when I don't have a shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptheuroalive View Post
    Refueling is a bad idea just due to the risk involved. And I'd love to see a running start, but again with the safety.
    Fully agreed. In order to completely eliminate risk and ensure total safety in Formula One, I motion to govern top speed at 25MPH and to require that drivers wear spacesuits wrapped in 600lbs worth of Nomex and Kevlar.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post

Fully agreed. In order to completely eliminate risk and ensure total safety in Formula One, I motion to govern top speed at 25MPH and to require that drivers wear spacesuits wrapped in 600lbs worth of Nomex and Kevlar.
    So they don't even do a running start at LeMans where it was tradition because of safety buy you are all for doing it in f1 where it isn't easy to get in the cars much less get strapped in. Good idea.

Considering we haven't had a death in f1 since Senna I'd say they got safety down pretty good.
    2007 BMW 335i: stock for the foreseeable future.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller View Post
    it always amazes me the things I see when I don't have a shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptheuroalive View Post

There are much bigger risks. Like the ERS. Refueling rules have been kept as is, due to logistics more than anything else. So much less equipment to transport around. The rigs were not toys. They force fed fuel via compressed nitrogen, IIRC. Very few fuel incidents, other than the spill on kimis car years back and everything was fine. It burns and evaporates so much quicker than road going gasoline mixes. It burnt itself off within a second or two.

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    I am totally mystified and annoyed by all the talk (not just here) of cost cutting.

Especially when they just went and changed every single thing on the cars thus making this season extraordinarily expensive.

It reminds of the fuel saving efforts with 100kg and max 100kg/hour flow rates. Then you take fuel used by 1 jumbo to transfer all the teams equipment to/from races or even...

the cars the teams use to get to/from the track and it becomes a total bullshit solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Then you've got the brake by wire only on the rear wheels. I thought ABS was banned but now you HAVE to have computer braking. Then there's the harvesting that causes absolutely stupid issues - like the batteries full before the end of the lap and then the harvesting doesn't impact the rear wheels and then more braking is needed - but that only happens at some tracks. And, can the drivers adjust brake bias now?

Then they take away front wing adjustments from inside the cockpit but make the steering wheels so complex that it misses the point. With these terrible tires you need front wing adjustment.

I'm getting pretty damned sick and tired of the FIA, these shitty tires, the fuel "savings", the talks of "cost cutting", the changes always there to make the "show" appear more exciting. The shitty car noises and yes they are futzing with the microphones because watching FP2 and a mechanic was unscrewing bolts and putting them into a tray (when F1 cars were driving past) and you could hear the screws/bolts being dropped onto the tray.

It's all for appearance now and there's not much substance. It's been going this way for a while now but it's getting preposterous.

Everything is so artificial now they may as well make it a spec formula.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the telemetry the FIA feed shows with regards to fuel usage - how do they know? Danny's FIA fuel sensor was toast and they showed fuel flow rates etc
    Nico's telemetry wasn't working and yet the FIA had full knowledge of just how much fuel he was using?

Such a crock! Are we the viewers so dumb as to sit here and stand for this?

On a side note - I watched the 2011 Chinese GP on Saturday and I'll say without hesitation that it was a far more exciting GP than the 2014. So, for all the FIAs changes it hasn't made the sport or the "show" any better.
    Nico's 400+ sensors on the Mercedes is a seperate system, than the FIA sensors on the car. It was a problem with Mercedes communicating with their own car. Not FOM or race control losing connection. He still got flag lights, etc. He merely lost the telemetry from the merc system. Their are two different telemetry systems. Both are for the team essentially, one for the FIA.

They showed the flow rate? FOM is showing fuel usage in percentages. Not rates.

Pretty sure RBR used their own sensor setup again in shanghai. Don't forget that they're using real time data with sensors now. So, when there are hickups and glitches, you'll see it. Things may not always appear as what is true. RBR may claim the sensor is broken at x point in time, but if it is still running on the infographic, formula one management disagrees. A lot of new electronics and systems everyone is getting used to.

Every word up above your edit, I can't agree more with, though.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpgoalie View Post
    Nico's 400+ sensors on the Mercedes is a seperate system, than the FIA sensors on the car. It was a problem with Mercedes communicating with their own car. Not FOM or race control losing connection. He still got flag lights, etc. He merely lost the telemetry from the merc system. Their are two different telemetry systems. Both are for the team essentially, one for the FIA.

They showed the flow rate? FOM is showing fuel usage in percentages. Not rates.

Pretty sure RBR used their own sensor setup again in shanghai. Don't forget that they're using real time data with sensors now. So, when there are hickups and glitches, you'll see it. Things may not always appear as what is true. RBR may claim the sensor is broken at x point in time, but if it is still running on the infographic, formula one management disagrees. A lot of new electronics and systems everyone is getting used to.

Every word up above your edit, I can't agree more with, though.
    Yeah, after my little rant I went and did some reading. As you correctly identified there are 2 sets of signals (telemetry) from the cars. 1 for the team and 1 for FOM. Therefore it's entirely possible that while a teams telemetry goes out, FOM can still receive a signal (although they don't both receive the same data).

And I also forgot the FOM controls/owns all the TV feeds.

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Yeah, FOM has a monopoly on it all. At least they help fund the teams, though. They get Google to pull a lot of videos off of YouTube, too.

Fun fact - FOM nearly held 20 million of Lotus' payout at the end of the season, if they didn't pay Raikkonen. Idk what ended up happening with that, though. I hear they still owe him.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Haven't been active here for a while but I just heard about the death of Nigel Stepney that got killed in a road accident in near Ashford in Kent in the early hours of morning.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...y-1958-2014-2/

RIP.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Sucks about Nigel. From what I heard of him, he would have made a pretty good technical director for many teams, but maybe let his judgement get a little clouded and got his hand in the cookie jar.

As for this season, I'm starting to already lose interest. There really isn't a ton of racing, just passing when cars are on different parts of a tire stint or strategy. While it's not as bad as it was back in the '07-08 era with almost no grid changes from qualifying to the checker, I still just can't get over how bored I'm starting to get with the season this early. It didn't help that everybody was phoning it in towards the end of last year to prep more for 2014 with Redbull kicking their asses handily.

Maybe I'm just a little bored of having one team out in front be so utterly unchallenged... I know that's the norm in modern F1 from what I can remember, and maybe I'd like it if McLaren were up there further (jeez it's rough being a fan of theirs lately...), but I just can't get excited about it these days.

Anybody feel differently?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Sucks about Nigel. From what I heard of him, he would have made a pretty good technical director for many teams, but maybe let his judgement get a little clouded and got his hand in the cookie jar.

As for this season, I'm starting to already lose interest. There really isn't a ton of racing, just passing when cars are on different parts of a tire stint or strategy. While it's not as bad as it was back in the '07-08 era with almost no grid changes from qualifying to the checker, I still just can't get over how bored I'm starting to get with the season this early. It didn't help that everybody was phoning it in towards the end of last year to prep more for 2014 with Redbull kicking their asses handily.

Maybe I'm just a little bored of having one team out in front be so utterly unchallenged... I know that's the norm in modern F1 from what I can remember, and maybe I'd like it if McLaren were up there further (jeez it's rough being a fan of theirs lately...), but I just can't get excited about it these days.

Anybody feel differently?
    Well, how about I de-enlighten (new vocubulary!) your mood ...

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...hp?f=1&t=19159

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Well, how about I de-enlighten (new vocubulary!) your mood ...

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...hp?f=1&t=19159
    I know... The current upper management in F1 is filled with a senile old bastard that controls the money and a bunch of fairly clueless other guys who are more interested in "making headlines" than making the series exciting.

The last good rule change to come from them is the change to the current qualifying format, and I think even they were surprised that it worked as well as it did.

I realize regulation changes are needed to shake things up from time to time, but it's become almost a joke of F1 with what they do with each big change. At least they banned traction control.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234