Thread: Looking at 2001-2003 E46

My Cars
    1995 318is (Formerly).

Question Looking at 2001-2003 E46

Hi all,

Looking for a new car. I'm also new to the forums!

My first car was a E36 318is that used to be my dad's and I loved that car until everything went south. That was 5 years ago. Now I'm in the market for a used car (budget of $5500) and I'm looking at BMWs again, namely an E46 (looking on craigslist). I'm aware of the potential for maintenance and I will do my best to make it work. I thought about getting a Honda or Toyota tank but I know I won't be happy with it. I'm 26 and I feel like a BMW will be good for me at this point in terms of my mindset. Yeah, I know that sounds a bit shallow but I'm just speaking from experience.

I plan on driving this next car as long as practically possible while I finish up grad school (currently a grad assistant) and get a teaching/conducting job in a year and a half. I'll be driving it like a daily driver. I usually take public transportation to school, but I'm a professional classical musician who needs a car for gigs when they come up, or when I need to use it for school errands. I plan on driving this car around 300-500 miles a month (sometimes even less). If I do drive it's about 5-15 miles at a time, usually around 2-4 times a week.

Do you think an E46 is good for someone with my driving habits? Also any buying advice or what to expect would really help. Thanks for your time.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    First of all, E46's (namely with the M54 variant) don't like short drives. They like when they can be warmed up and driven to get everything flowing correctly. "peanut butter" builds up as a result of condensation and short drives, which can plug up the Oil Separator and cause issues.

Earlier models can suffer from torn rear subframes, or at least weak. With all E46's, control arm bushings, cooling systems(!), DISA valve, intake boots, suspension, and various other things wear out. Take any car for a pre-purchase inspection so you have at least an idea of what you're getting yourself in to.

Here's a good list of Part Numbers and whatnot for E46's:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=923563

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    Try to get your hands on a 2003, I had a 2001, they tried to make it into a Toyota, but only the worst parts of a toyota..
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    z3
    The changes made from 01-03 were largely insignificant. The biggest change occured 00-01 as the M54 engines were rolled out. If missing foglights and no armrest really make you think BMW tried to make a Toyota... then turn in your BMW enthusiast card, we will add a strike to your man card, and if thats the third strike it will be revoked.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Bmw
    A preface lift e46 m tech 1 car can be bought for around $5500. Very sporty looking also. Chicks dig them. You can take chicks to go get their groceries.
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Isn't 03 to 05 more desirable?
    Yes. Less rear sub frame issues. No front control arm issues. A few other things.

ZHP option, too

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red
    2004 E46 325 M56 Steel Metallic Blue - Sold

My Cars
    03.5 M3 vert
    Great cars, not cheap to maintain.

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowtiM3 View Post
    Great cars, not cheap to maintain.
    This is a bmw forum, right?

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red