Thread: Must have E46 M3 MODS?

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3

Must have E46 M3 MODS?

So to keep it simple, what are the "essential" modifications that come to mind when you think of an e46 M3? (Exhaust, suspension, lights, etc; ) We all have different tastes, which makes for great original and creative customizations but what I wanted to know, purely out of curiosity, is what you think are the first necessary mods needed before doing anything else to this beautiful car.
    Last edited by richiemind; 04-05-2014 at 08:42 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Reinforcing the unibody mounts for the rear subframe because the subframe likes to rip off the car.

Replacing every wear component in the suspension because its all worn out by now.

Replacing every wear component in the cooling system because its a time bomb if it hasn't already been addressed.

Valve adjustment.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Reinforcing the unibody mounts for the rear subframe because the subframe likes to rip off the car.

Replacing every wear component in the suspension because its all worn out by now.

Replacing every wear component in the cooling system because its a time bomb if it hasn't already been addressed.

Valve adjustment.
    great response but what I'm asking about is mods, not repairs

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    My E46 is my DD so I didn't plan on anything radical. RS-110 Wheels. 9.5x18 F, 10x18 R, currently on 275/35 Direzza IIs, although I did run 295/30s on the rear early on. GC coil overs, camber plates. Euro front bumper, euro exterior mirror glass, Dr. G's clutch pedal, AutoSolutions shifter, forgotten trans mounts. And can't forget, clear corners. All was applied within a couple months of delivery in Sept 04.

I left the engine and the rest of the drivetrain as it came from the factory. Car drives well, can haul around a business client with no concerns yet it does well when pushed.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-06-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: clarified
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    bmw m3 e46 2005
    What I did personally, I replaced
    - rims and new tires
    - front hood grills
    - smoked signal lights
    - carbon fibre csl trunk
    - halo rings
    Now I wanna put coilovers soon, kW v2 and the carbon fibre front bumper lip, and later one work on changing the air box and exhaust and headers. M3 e46 are the best cars to spent money after them lol...

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MARINALIAJ View Post
    Now I wanna put coilovers soon, kW v2 and the carbon fibre front bumper lip, and later one work on changing the air box and exhaust and headers. M3 e46 are the best cars to spent money after them lol...
    So I'm starting to notice lol

cakM3 is offline ZHP Mafia Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2004 M3 / 2003 330i ZHP
    I did the following when I first picked up my E46 M...

- Blacked out front and side grills
    - monochrome ///M3 badges
    - monochrome roundels
    - LED Angel Eyes

Regarding "essential" modifications however, I would say do the coilovers and get a good set of wheels to set off the look of the car. What I have pointed out above are very easy cheap mods but when you add coilovers and wheels then you're obviously spending much more $$$ to mod your car
    2004 ///M3
    2003 Imola Red 330i ZHP

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    So from all your answers the first go to mods on this car are all cosmetics rather than performance, with a few exceptions (suspension/exhaust).

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Obviously everyone's mod tastes differ and what person X wants out of their car will be different from what person Y wants out of their car. With that said, the "must have" mods for YOU will be dictated by what YOU want to get out of your car. If you're happy with the performance of your car as it is, stick to aesthetic upgrades rather than dumping more money into parts that improve performance. For me, I find the S54 engine plenty capable from the factory, and it's not in my list of things to do to try to squeeze more power out of the motor.

I don't know how you use your car, whether you take it to the track or just drive it on the street day to day, but there are certain reasons why you would mod your car in certain ways. For one, I find it hard to justify dropping money into horsepower upgrades unless you find yourself wishing you had more horsepower at the track or at the drag strip. It will be difficult to make use of those extra 20-30 horses between streetlights.

That said, I DO like the exhaust note of many aftermarket systems, and indeed prefer some of them to the factory exhaust note. So take my comments with a grain of salt haha. I can see why you would go that route.
    Last edited by skell; 04-09-2014 at 02:56 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe - 6spd
    This is a very broad question, and it's cool, but I think the best mods you can do are the one's that you, personally, think give you the best driving experience when you're behind the wheel of your car. At the end of the day, no one else has to live with your Mods, other than yourself. In addition, I'd proceed some mods with caution - Some times one tweak will eventually cause you to change other things about the stock car. Cosmetic Mods are whatever your flavor is. Wheels, Carbon Fiber Accents or Parts, Lights, etc. Those types of things only enhance the look of your car - Some people might think those mods are dumb, and some people might think they're awesome. As far as performance mods, I'd say that you should Mod your car in the manner that your most comfortable with. If you can do the work on your own, then tackle Mod projects as you have the availability to do so. If you are going to pursue Mods that might take your car off the road for a few days, then make sure you have another mode of transportation. If your M3 is your daily driver, then I'd focus on maintenance and added comfort, with some low impact modifications - Like pulleys, Intake (although some would argue that the stock intake is better than aftermarket), exhaust, headers (be mindful of the CAT delete in the header if you pursue a header upgrade), suspension (this Mod also depends on where you daily drive - Coil Overs on metropolitan city streets are more of a pain in the ass than anything else; pot holes, street debris, etc. If you plan to track your car, then coil overs, all day. Maybe adjustable lowering springs might suit you best, but keep the drivability of your car in mind. You can also do an out of the box Shark Tune or Flash.

As far as the Mods I have. I have some Cosmetic Mods, but those are a matter of opinion. For Performance Specific Mods, I have a 2nd car and can keep my M3 off the road during the East Coast Winters, and drive her when I really feel the need to get out and push her.

I have the follwing:

Carbon Fiber AirBox (MAF Delete)
    Alpha-N Tune
    FABSpeed Headers (CAT Delete)
    Stock Section 1,2, Exhaust
    Pulleys
    Adjustable Racing Springs
    Short Throw Shifter

Future Plans include Focusing on Full Exhaust - With my recent Header Install, I know I'm going to be doing some internal wear and tear on Section 1, 2 and Exhaust with the CAT Delete. I will also want to change the Exhaust Note a bit more and try to get as much power out of the S54 as I can without going Forced Induction. I don't want to go down that route, just yet, as I would have to change up a lot of things if I did go FI. I'd also like to get a BBK at some point, but other than that, I'm happy with how my e46 is turning out.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Go mod your driving skills at an HPDE.
    2005 M3
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.” - Ernest Hemingway