Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project 325 - Dual purpose 325is STX autocross and HPDE/TT

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ

Thumbs up Project 325 - Dual purpose 325is STX autocross and HPDE/TT

So, I have been wanting and old e36 project for a while, and I recently picked up a bone stock 1994 BMW 325is with 197k miles on it for pretty cheap. Runs strong and shifts well, just needs some basic maintenance and exterior clean up, previous owner took pretty good care of it. I will be documenting the progression here and on youtube as well. On to the plans!

Since this will be a dual purpose autox/HPDE car of sorts on somewhat of a budget, I don't expect it to be super competitive in STX. Mostly going for fun factor and something I can take to autox as well as the track with a setup that will be suitable for both. It will be built with STX rules in mind however, as I don't want to class myself out of that just yet. The car is not a DD, I have my e46 and another car for that, but I will probably keep it street legal until I get a tow rig.

Maintenance plan:
    • Replace leaking valve cover gasket and seal washers Done
    • Replace leaking differential seals and diff fluid Done, new LSD
    • Fix driver window (driver side works intermittently) Done
    • Remove rust from drip ledge and paint Done
    • Touch up paint chips Done
    • Detail the car Done

Upgrade plan:
    • Wheels: 17x8.5" TR Motorsport wheels with Dunlop ZII 245/40/R17 tires
      • Option 2 if $$ available: 17x9" D-Force LTW5's with Dunlop ZII 255/40/R17 tires (I know these are optimal but are $450+ more than the 17x8.5"'s)
      • Purchased: Apex Arc 8 in 17x9" et42, Silver
      • Purchased: Hankook RS3v2 255/40/r17 tires

• Coilovers: Thinking KW V2 or Bilstein PSS9 - other opinions in that price range? AST/TC Kline are a bit over what I want to spend.
      • Purchased: TCKline double adjustable suspension with camber plates!

• Camber plates: TCK
    • Sway bar: H&R or Turner front bar, not sure what the common thickness is...27-28mm?
      • Purchased: Eibach 28mm front bar.

• Brakes: Ferodo DS2500, new stock rotors, maybe better rotors if $$ allows
    • Differential: Used stock LSD...will an e36 M3 LSD fit this car?
      • Purchased: LSD 3.15 fd diff from 325i with 80k miles on it
      • Purchased: New diff clutch discs and carrier bolts

• Seats: Corbeau seems to be the cheapest, but a fixed back set of seats of some brand
    • Engine:
      • Lightweight exhaust, high flow cat, not sure on brands yet
      • aFe intake - scratched, stock is good enough.
      • Header, no idea what brand yet
      • Tuning, TMS seems to be the way to go?
        • Purchased: TMS chip used

• Other: Lightweight battery

Couple pictures and my first video of the project!

Last edited by justinco; 07-20-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    1993 325is
    M3 diff will fit, but won't be STX legal. There are many examples of 325is's that came with the cold/extreme weather package and that included an LSD. Make sure you get one from a manual though. The auto had a 3.91 FD which is good for 52mph in 2nd gear at 7,000 rpm!!

My Cars
    Bicycle
    For the wheels, I would either save up for the 17x9 or try to find something used instead of getting 8.5s

How about the GC track setup if TC Kline is over your budget?

For the LSD, you can rebuild a stock one to a 3 clutch one with new ramps for about $600.

The H&R bar is 28mm.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    The Dunlop ZIIs are discontinued, so if you want them, order soon.

Priority order should be:

Tire compound
    Wheel width
    Springs (including sways)

Save the money from camber plates. 96+ M3 strut mounts can give the camber.

Your stock front sway bar with strut mounting might be slightly too much front bar. Decide coil spring rates first. Most people are running a lot of front coil rate and comparatively little rear coil rate and thus can't effectively use much front sway. But that is not the only solution.

All the stock-style rear bars do nearly nothing. Useful for fine tuning.

Cheap semi-metallic pads work great for autocrossing.
    Last edited by MatthewH; 04-02-2014 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    M3 diff will fit, but won't be STX legal. There are many examples of 325is's that came with the cold/extreme weather package and that included an LSD. Make sure you get one from a manual though. The auto had a 3.91 FD which is good for 52mph in 2nd gear at 7,000 rpm!!
    I figured as much on the M3 diff...just curious as I saw one on craigslist locally. I will keep an eye out for the 325is LSD from a manual car.

Quote Originally Posted by justint5387 View Post
    For the wheels, I would either save up for the 17x9 or try to find something used instead of getting 8.5s

How about the GC track setup if TC Kline is over your budget?

For the LSD, you can rebuild a stock one to a 3 clutch one with new ramps for about $600.

The H&R bar is 28mm.
    Yea I think I am going to save up for the 17x9" wheels. While I want to be budget minded, I also hate skimping on things when I could have better, hah.

Is this the GC setup you are talking about?
    http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=828/CA=172

If so, that does look pretty good, especially since it includes camber plates and you can select the desired spring rates. Hmm, thanks for that tip!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post
    The Dunlop ZIIs are discontinued, so if you want them, order soon.

Priority order should be:

Tire compound
    Wheel width
    Springs (including sways)

Save the money from camber plates. 96+ M3 strut mounts can give the camber.

Your stock front sway bar with strut mounting might be slightly too much front bar. Decide coil spring rates first. Most people are running a lot of front coil rate and comparatively little rear coil rate and thus can't effectively use much front sway. But that is not the only solution.

All the stock-style rear bars do nearly nothing. Useful for fine tuning.

Cheap semi-metallic pads work great for autocrossing.
    ZII's are being discontinued already? I just bought a set when they came out last year for my Miata

I will be using a ~200tw tire of some sort. ZII's are my favorite for dual purpose, I like RS3's as well and autocrossed an RX-8 with Rivals, not sure I want the Rivals for the track though.

Spring rates and the bar I am still not sure, so will do some researching on that and open to suggestions.

For the pads, I just wanted to try something different than what I had on my Miata (Hawk HP/HP+). I suppose I could save some $$ with cheaper pads.

Thanks!
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Unless he is planning to trophy at nationals, I wouldn't care. The '95 M3 diff is the same ratio (3.15) and the only difference is the ring gear bolts are M14 vs M12. Whichever you can find first is what I'd go with.

ZIIs are being replaced by ZII star specs, but NA won't be getting them until later this year. You'll probably see the popular sizes (255/40/17 and 245/40/17) go out of stock before they get the new ones.

Skip the intake for sure (afe is expensive AND the fitment sucks, stock airbox is GOOD), and look for a used chip if you want one. The marginal gains from these should not be a priority.

I would save all the power stuff for last. Get sticky rubber, good suspension, LSD, then think about power if you've got spare money you want to spend.

And if your budget is tight, cruise the classifieds for used stuff. Wheels especially - I got kosei K1s with good rubber for 800+shipping, and recently a set of Dforce LTW 17x9s for 700+shipping.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustashio View Post
    Unless he is planning to trophy at nationals, I wouldn't care. The '95 M3 diff is the same ratio (3.15) and the only difference is the ring gear bolts are M14 vs M12. Whichever you can find first is what I'd go with.
    I still want the car to be legal for local competition and our local Match Tour.

ZIIs are being replaced by ZII star specs, but NA won't be getting them until later this year. You'll probably see the popular sizes (255/40/17 and 245/40/17) go out of stock before they get the new ones.
    That is interesting, I guess when I have the $$ in hand I will figure out what tire to go with based on availability.

Skip the intake for sure (afe is expensive AND the fitment sucks, stock airbox is GOOD), and look for a used chip if you want one. The marginal gains from these should not be a priority.

I would save all the power stuff for last. Get sticky rubber, good suspension, LSD, then think about power if you've got spare money you want to spend.
    Thanks for the info on the aFe, didn't know that. I have power stuff planned last for sure, don't really care about it right now. Priority right now is wheels/tires then suspension so I can get to the driving.

And if your budget is tight, cruise the classifieds for used stuff. Wheels especially - I got kosei K1s with good rubber for 800+shipping, and recently a set of Dforce LTW 17x9s for 700+shipping.
    Hmm good deals, I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2010 bwm x6
    I would either save up for the 17x9 or try to find something used instead of getting 8.5s
    Last edited by tognettiza; 04-03-2014 at 11:19 PM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tognettiza View Post
    I would either save up for the 17x9 or try to find something used instead of getting 8.5s
    Yep, that is the plan. I'll have the $$ available in a week for some wheels so going to try and find some used 17x9's.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport

These don't seem too bad for $661 shipped. Edit: shipping weight listed on Amazon is 26 lbs.
    Last edited by MatthewH; 04-04-2014 at 12:31 AM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

These don't seem too bad for $661 shipped. Edit: shipping weight listed on Amazon is 26 lbs.
    Hmm, not a bad find. A bit heavy though, I'm seeing 25-26lbs per wheel too...

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Too heavy, that's a deal breaker imho.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Too heavy, that's a deal breaker imho.
    Yea. Going to wait for some decent Arc8's or LTW's to show up used I think.

My Cars
    02 M3
    For seats, I picked up a pair of F1 Spec Type 5's for $400 shipped. Build quality is pretty good actually and the seats fit great. For reference I'm 5'8 145# 30" waist. Check my project log for pics.

For battery, etx20l. 330+cca's and can be pick up at advanced auto for $60-$70 after coupons. All just rebranded deka batteries.
    Last edited by Inflame; 04-08-2014 at 07:32 AM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    For seats, I picked up a pair of F1 Spec Type 5's for $400 shipped. Build quality is pretty good actually and the seats fit great. For reference I'm 5'8 145# 30" waist. Check my project log for pics.
    How much do those weigh?

My Cars
    02 M3
    Seats, not sure but they were pretty light. Recaro SPG reps, fiberglass back. I'd put them at 10-12# or so, I could probably take one out and weigh it.

Battery, I believe 15#.
    Last edited by Inflame; 04-08-2014 at 08:03 AM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ

For battery, etx20l. 330+cca's and can be pick up at advanced auto for $60-$70 after coupons. All just rebranded deka batteries.
    Awesome man, thanks for that. Looks like a great deal for those seats, so these ones:

http://www.f1spec.com/ty5sef1.html

Wonder how long that deal will be going, maybe I'll just grab them hehe. Checking out your project now...

BTW, how did you mount the seats, what brackets, hardware, etc?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I have my first mod complete. Glow in the dark Batman duct tape to seal up the tears in the leather seats

Now my kids have been calling the car the "Batmobile", and so it shall be named going forward!
    Last edited by justinco; 04-08-2014 at 12:47 PM.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Yup exactly those. Shipping was quick since they're in Cali. I used evo sport seat mounts and bought sliders and side mounts from F1 for $50 for both sides. For passenger side I replicated the evosport seat mounts on a mill.

So like this floor-->seat mount-->sliders-->side mount--> f1 spec seat.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Stoptech Street performance pads will do fine in autox and light track duty. They aren't expensive either.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    Stoptech Street performance pads will do fine in autox and light track duty. They aren't expensive either.
    True

Or pay the $30 more and get ferodo's and love them as opposed to just being okay with your pads.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Yup exactly those. Shipping was quick since they're in Cali. I used evo sport seat mounts and bought sliders and side mounts from F1 for $50 for both sides. For passenger side I replicated the evosport seat mounts on a mill.

So like this floor-->seat mount-->sliders-->side mount--> f1 spec seat.
    Cool, thanks man!

Just ordered a set of wheels too!

Apex Arc8's, 17x9" et42 in silver:

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Apex Arc 8's in 17x9" arrived:

Also started on some maintenance work, spark plugs and valve cover gasket. Pulled the coils off the plugs to find the spark plug holes filled up with oil...Must be time to change the plug seals

Yes there is a spark plug in there:

My Cars
    BMW's, Porsche's, Mini's
    Seals for the plugs will come with the Valve Cover Gasket set

31Wy8ARudEL._SY300_.jpg

The 6 little dudes at the top of the picture
    Order here-->www.tcklineracing.com | 'Like' us on Facebook-->http://www.facebook.com/tcklineracing
    Please call or email with questions
    kale@tcklineracing.com

My Cars
    06 GTO, e36 race car
    Stupid valve cover gaskets. It wasn't until I'd ordered my second non-vanos gasket set that I went in and discovered that realoem has the wrong part number for the '92 325is gasket set, grr.

I find they don't seal very well and have taken to smearing RTV on both sides. Next time it leaks I'll be putting a second washer under all the fasteners to clamp the gasket harder, see if that fixes it.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
    Seals for the plugs will come with the Valve Cover Gasket set

The 6 little dudes at the top of the picture
    Thanks Kale I had the gasket set already (including the spark plug seals) and got it all finished up last night. No external leaks anymore around the cover gasket. I'll pull a couple coil packs in a couple weeks to make sure those sealed up fine. Not too worried about it anyways, even with all the oil in there the car still ran perfectly fine!

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    Stupid valve cover gaskets. It wasn't until I'd ordered my second non-vanos gasket set that I went in and discovered that realoem has the wrong part number for the '92 325is gasket set, grr.

I find they don't seal very well and have taken to smearing RTV on both sides. Next time it leaks I'll be putting a second washer under all the fasteners to clamp the gasket harder, see if that fixes it.
    Yea I've seen some gaskets with RTV all the way around. I just RTV'd the half moons and seams up front, see how it holds up, so far so good.

- - - Updated - - -

LSD confusion (hah!)...I want the e36 diff with the 3.15 fd right?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast