View Poll Results: would a heated shift knob be beneficiaL to you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 16.67%
  • no

15 83.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General BMW owner survey

General BMW owner survey

Does anyone suffer from a cold shift knob when the temperatures are very low? To the point where frost is forming on the aluminum shift knob? Well my senior engineering class is trying to solve the problem so can you help me and add to the poll.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    I have a wooden shift knob - no frost issues with it. On the other hand, my Dodge Dart has a chrome plated steel shifter without any sort of plastic or wooden knob on the end. You do NOT want to touch that thing with your bare hands when getting into the car on a hot day.

I don't really think aluminum is the best material for use on touch surfaces. It's a lot less Rube Goldberg to simply use a material with a lower heat capacity and lower heat conductivity for small items.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cwhitty2 View Post
    To the point where frost is forming on the aluminum shift knob?
    Since no BMW has ever come with an aluminum shift knob standard, it sounds like you are creating a solution to a problem you yourself created.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Since no BMW has ever come with an aluminum shift knob standard, it sounds like you are creating a solution to a problem you yourself created.

A simple solution is to get a plastic/leather/wood knob if it's that much of a problem ...

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    This sounds like a Logan's Run sort of problem.

I suppose if you're gonna use a metal shift knob and you live in a cold enough area, someone might like this.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Switch to a leather shift knob. No science involved
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    x
    Hi, chwitty. I'm assuming this is a high school class? Did you come up with this "problem" yourself? If so, I'd recommend switching to a different problem, since (as noted above) yours leaks relevance. I have had a car (not a BMW) with an Al shift knob, and the only times it felt cold to the touch were times when I'd be wearing gloves anyway.

Now if you could figure how to beat the hot-steering-wheel in summer problem, that would be something

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Even though I have the stock leather wooden shift knob in my car, I would still love it to be heated. The heated steering wheel in my e38 is absolutely wonderful. I really miss that while driving the e39 in the winter, and since the e39 is a manual I tend to spend most of my time with my hand on the shifter. I would like both a heated knob and wheel.

However, I don't plan on modifying my e39, it will stay completely stock.

I did consider this idea myself for one of my engineering class projects.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    ...since the e39 is a manual I tend to spend most of my time with my hand on the shifter.
    Just sayin but, you should only have your hand on the shifter when shifting. One should not rest their hand on the shifter in a manual car...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2009 bmw x5
    It's a lot less Rube Goldberg to simply use a material with a lower heat capacity and lower heat conductivity for small items.

My Cars
    2009 bmw x5
    the only times it felt cold to the touch were times when I'd be wearing gloves anyway.
    Last edited by labriolazh; 04-01-2014 at 02:01 AM.

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman
    You'll need that aluminum shift knob with a fan in the summer too.

Rule the Bends, Bend the Rules

Thanks for the feedback. We were just trying to incorporate something that could be related to cars, our problem is relevent to us because we live in a region where it is always cold in the US. Btw I own a BMW E46 and it is an aluminum shift knob or possibly some other metal.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback. We were just trying to incorporate something that could be related to cars, our problem is relevent to us because we live in a region where it is always cold in the US. Btw It is a aluminum shift knob
    Last edited by cwhitty2; 04-01-2014 at 11:35 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah but its only relevant to you because you have an aftermarket aluminum shift knob on your car. It did not come out of the factory with aluminum (or any metal shift knob) because they are German-designed cars and it gets cold in Germany. A nice stock leather shift knob neither absorbs massive amounts of heat nor is it efficient at transferring heat (which is why metal shift knobs feel cold). It really is a self-created problem which can be remedied by a $20 stock leather shift knob

Buy a stock shift knob and spend your time designing something useful.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    One should not rest their hand on the shifter in a manual car...
    Right, but you should say why. It's because the weight of your hand (which isn't always restricted to just downward force) wasn't taken into account when that part was designed. I used to do this years ago when I got my first car but then read in the manual that I shouldn't do it.

It also frees up your hand for texting.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2009 bmw x6
    Switch to a leather shift knob.
    Last edited by moyechua; 04-01-2014 at 11:03 PM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Right, but you should say why. It's because the weight of your hand (which isn't always restricted to just downward force) wasn't taken into account when that part was designed. I used to do this years ago when I got my first car but then read in the manual that I shouldn't do it.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    How about a universal sew-on steering wheel heater like WheelSkins with a heating element... or if you want to be really fancy, put a Peltier effect device in there that can heat OR cool the wheel?
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    03.5 M3 vert
    Warm it with your hand...

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    I thought I would add that z8's were delivered with an aluminum shift knob. I can't see what kind of car th OP is driving (cell phone app), but I will assume its not a z8.
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post
    I thought I would add that z8's were delivered with an aluminum shift knob. I can't see what kind of car th OP is driving (cell phone app), but I will assume its not a z8.
    Z8 shift knobs are not aluminum, they are the same design as the E39 M5 shift knob with a different finish. The silver trim and jewel is plastic and the forward edge and base of knob with shift boot is leather.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post

I don't text, but I do see your point. Now I will have to make a point to try to get my hand to not rest on the shifter.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Z8 shift knobs are not aluminum, they are the same design as the E39 M5 shift knob with a different finish. The silver trim and jewel is plastic and the forward edge and base of knob with shift boot is leather.
    I have a z8 shift knob in my hand, feels cold and metallic to me. Its guts are plastic and it has a layer of silver aluminum around the backside. I have to ask, where are you getting your information?

This is something they did differently on the z8 to take it to another level of prestige. All of the knobs on the dash, the shift knob, the e-brake handle and door pull handles are made from aluminum.
    Last edited by cdmbmw; 04-22-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post
    I have a z8 shift knob in my hand, feels cold and metallic to me. Its guts are plastic and it has a layer of silver aluminum around the backside. I have to ask, where are you getting your information?

This is something they did differently on the z8 to take it to another level of prestige. All of the knobs on the dash, the shift knob, the e-brake handle and door pull handles are made from aluminum.
    There were aftermarket shift knobs made for the Z8 but the stock unit is the same as the E39 M5 unit. Its completely identical with a different finishing piece on it. Here is a Z8 forum talking about it:
    http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/body-inter...eces-3674.html

From a Z8 owner:
    The shift knob and hand brake are both plastic, so they aren't easily refinishable, but I do remember somebody posting that the door sills can be done with chrome polish and very, very fine wire-wool. Since you have a new set on order it might be worth trying.

And anyways, how does something "feel metallic"?

Though I am not sure, I really really doubt all those pieces you mentioned are aluminum... I have sat in a Z8 and do not remember anything like that. Regarding the "all the knobs are aluminum" - where are you getting your information?
    Last edited by blackxs; 04-22-2014 at 08:32 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    There were aftermarket shift knobs made for the Z8 but the stock unit is the same as the E39 M5 unit. Its completely identical with a different finishing piece on it. Here is a Z8 forum talking about it:
    http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/body-inter...eces-3674.html

From a Z8 owner:
    So your source is a bunch of other guys like you who think they know what they are talking about? Interesting.

From the same thread, a reply to your Z8 owner from another Z8 owner.

I replaced all the pieces Bill mentioned but they are not plastic: handbrake cover, door pull, shift knob are made from aluminum sheet on a plastic base. They can be polished but than you loose the matt look but maybe a workshop can you help you out. If you want to I can give it a try with a german BMW workshop to find the parts
    Like I said I have a faulty one at my shop that I replaced for a customer. It clearly has a sheet of metal on it and it is cold to the touch. How does something feel metallic? Can you not feel the difference between metal and plastic? Well if I tap it against another piece of metal it sure sounds metallic, its cold, I can't dig my finger nail into it.. I don't know, I guess I have that sort of talent where I can tell the difference between plastic and metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast