Thread: Trying to decide which will be my first BMW

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335D

Trying to decide which will be my first BMW

Since I was a child I've always wanted to drive a BMW and after college I went with more economical vehicles such as a MINI and lately an FR-S (not practical but a good DD).
    I'm now fully in the career path I want to be so naturally I think it is time to make right on my childhood dream. While I can't afford an M3, I am weighing my options on what should be my first BMW.
    Here is what I have so far. I feel the 335D is not only a unique beemer but also practical for long trips. I work at home so I do not drive a whole lot but when I do I want something that is fun and the torque ranges of the D series appear to be the most fun 3 series.
    Links to two options:
    Do I go with Carmax and get the extended warranty plan for piece of mind in buying my first used vehicle?
    http://*******/Sc1dYB[1]
    Or do I go with a dealer that has a better price on a nice equipped 335d.
    http://*******/zj47YB[2]
    Or do you have any other suggestions? I live in the Philadelphia area so it is mainly city driving and trips along 76 but I value all input!

My Cars
    z3
    You dont go to Carmax or the dealer, you find a car private party you like, get a PPI on it, and pocket the 20% markup that Carmax or the dealer would have.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    I trust private party over a dealer any day of the week. You see the person that drove it, along with their personality/character/credibility.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335D
    Interesting, I think the 20% markup is worth it if there is a warranty behind the vehicle. Piece of mind is something that I value and had I not had a warranty on my MINI, I would have had to needlessly overpay for work to be done (prior to when I became astute enough to work on the vehicle myself).

I will have a look at individual sellers, but if you do not mind me asking, what is a PPI?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by FerraraZ View Post
    Interesting, I think the 20% markup is worth it if there is a warranty behind the vehicle. Piece of mind is something that I value and had I not had a warranty on my MINI, I would have had to needlessly overpay for work to be done (prior to when I became astute enough to work on the vehicle myself).

I will have a look at individual sellers, but if you do not mind me asking, what is a PPI?
    A warranty is just a word. Getting screwed is what will happen to you if you actually have an issue with the car that would require that warranty, when the dealership or god forbid Carmax facility you buy the car finds a million stupid reasons why the part isnt faulty or it isnt their responsibility. New cars have warranties.

PPI is pre-purchase inspection - get the car taken to a local independant mechanic prior to purchase to have them look all around the car ensuring its in good shape.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    Since I was a child I've always wanted to drive a BMW and after college I went with more economical vehicles such as a MINI and lately an FR-S (not practical but a good DD).
    I'm now fully in the career path I want to be so naturally I think it is time to make right on my childhood dream. While I can't afford an M3, I am weighing my options on what should be my first BMW.
    Here is what I have so far. I feel the 335D is not only a unique beemer but also practical for long trips. I work at home so I do not drive a whole lot but when I do I want something that is fun and the torque ranges of the D series appear to be the most fun 3 series.
    Links to two options:
    Do I go with Carmax and get the extended warranty plan for piece of mind in buying my first used vehicle?
    http://*******/Sc1dYB[1]
    Or do I go with a dealer that has a better price on a nice equipped 335d.
    http://*******/zj47YB[2]
    Or do you have any other suggestions? I live in the Philadelphia area so it is mainly city driving and trips along 76 but I value all input!
    You will regret it if you buy Any Car from Carmax...Buy your bimmer from a BMW dealer or a private seller. Maxcare is a good warranty though they covered $9000.00 in repairs for me.
    Last edited by beemer325i; 03-27-2014 at 10:00 AM.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart

About 90% of extended warranties out there are junk, and even non-junky ones typically have a deductible. They're more like (usually dramatically overpriced) insurance than a new car warranty. Of the extended warranties out there, BMW's CPO appears to be one of the few that's worth more than the paper it's printed on.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335D
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer325i View Post
    You will regret it if you buy Any Car from Carmax...Buy your bimmer from a BMW dealer or a private seller. Maxcare is a good warranty though they covered $9000.00 in repairs for me.

So you suggest not buying from Carmax yet their warranty saved you 9k worth in repairs?

My Cars
    z3
    So you suggest not buying from Carmax yet their warranty saved you 9k worth in repairs?
    You can purchase third-party warranties COMPLETELY independently of Carmax or any dealer institution for that matter.

Third-party warranties are a ripoff though. Their sole goal is to NOT payout. If everyone who pays them $2,000 for a policy needs $3,000 in work the company will go bankrupt. For this reason they make any excuse to NEVER payout. There are occasions where people such as beemer325i here have something covered but overwhelmingly these places are a business and need to function like one. Their goal is to make money by taking in more money then they give out. Its always safer to keep the cost of the warranty set aside for repairs instead of actually buying the warranty.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Nothing wrong with buying with Carmax as long as you're aware of the added costs. My company runs a fleet of cars and occasionally we find something on Carmax.

As far as being able to read a seller, well, the best con men are gonna come across as friendly and trustworthy, that's their job and you may find one that's a natural at it. It sounds like OP is a little inexperienced in such things (no offense) and while this may be a good opportunity to pick up some life experience, OP may just be better off going with some peace of mind.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.