Thread: Comparison: BMW M235i vs. Mercedes CLA45 AMG vs. Subaru WRX STI

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Comparison: BMW M235i vs. Mercedes CLA45 AMG vs. Subaru WRX STI

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Fast, fun cars for $45k if you want new with warranty. Still, I might consider a used 135i, E90M3, C63 or other car at that price. Since I drive 99.99 percent on the street, the Mercedes speed would be appealing. For those who live on racetracks, maybe an M235i with some mods would be a good choice.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I'd go with the BMW.

While I like Subaru's, that one "brandishes a comically massive wing that does in fact serves a very small downforce function." And, I'm just not a fan of over the top cosmetic enhancements which you see every time you look in the rear view mirror.

Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    I'd go with the BMW.

While I like Subaru's, that one "brandishes a comically massive wing that does in fact serves a very small downforce function." And, I'm just not a fan of over the top cosmetic enhancements which you see every time you look in the rear view mirror.

Im with you on that, if the mercedes was RWD then maybe, but that flaccid throttle response bothers me to no end.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The big thing is that the M235i is only available as a 2door versus the others as 4doors.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT
    Is the CLA they tested really $14K MORE then the M235i? Considering that, did they really spend two paragraphs complaining about its lack of "options"?

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    CLA45 is the best all around car here, and it'll be quickest in any weather conditions.

However, bmw still held its own, despite not being the M2. They need to redo the comparison once they get new M2.

That being said, I hate the styling of CLA. Instead of bringing A45, USA will be getting a taller, fatter GLA45 "SUV" nonsense
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    E36 M3
    The ass end of the CLA is absolutely embarrassing. To me, it's in the wrong comparison and should be paired against the upcoming 435xi Gran Coupe. Didn't the Subi just have a comparo that the performance wasn't too much better than the regular WRX? Hmm, these three cars are really different and don't seem like they would be cross shopped at all.