Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What clutch should I buy for my boosted E36 M3

My Cars
    Turbo E36 M3
    After 8 months, my f1 stage 3 (clutch & flywheel) just started slipping. 14psi, 430tq. I'm think of getting the twin disc UUC clutch and flywheel now?

My Cars
    boosted M3's
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvan View Post
    It wil probably be fine but if I was you I would just call Jordan at Technica or email him with your setup and see what he says.
    thank you for the response,

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    From what I understand, the puck disks hold more power than the full face or segmented. Maybe the pucks run cooler because of the air gap between the pucks. If you look at the full face disk in Post #112 above, you will see notches cut out of the outer circumference. Those are for cooling.
    They absolutely do not run cooler. It is only done b/c pressure increase on the clamped area.
    It is however bad for the trueness of the objects that clamp these pucks.
    The notches are not for cooling. They aid in letting the gasses out to reduce the chances of fading, just like why they slot and or drill brake rotors and saw cut / mill grooves in pads.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You may be right about puck disks -- I have never run one. I was speculating based on what Southbend told me about its disk (see picture in Post #112). When I called Southbend/DXD and spoke to one of its technical support people, I was informed that the notches are for cooling. I actually had an early version of the same disk without the notches and had fused it to the flywheel when it overheated on the dragstrip. Southbend explained they had encountered this problem and redesigned the disk with notches for cooling. They exchanged my disk for one of the new ones. Both the early and late Southbend disks (including my early version that fused) had the grooves from the outer circumference to the inner circumference to let the gasses out.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 04-18-2014 at 06:59 AM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    You may be right about puck disks -- I have never run one. I was speculating based on what Southbend told me about its disk (see picture in Post #112). When I called Southbend/DXD and spoke to one of its technical support people, I was informed that the notches are for cooling. I actually had an early version of the same disk without the notches and had fused it to the flywheel when it overheated on the dragstrip. Southbend explained they had encountered this problem and redesigned the disk with notches for cooling. They exchanged my disk for one of the new ones. Both the early and late Southbend disks (including my early version that fused) had the grooves from the outer circumference to the inner circumference to let the gasses out.
    This right here is as good read, stumbled on this 4 page article a week ago or so.
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Material.aspx
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdshotM3 View Post
    Anyways would a Southbend stage 3 be overkill?

- the 'daily' is rated for 400ft/lbs and the 'endurance' is rated for 430ft/lbs - what is the difference between the 'daily' and 'endurance' clutches?

Im not sure how many torquezz id be making at those boost levels with the vortech (torqueless/turboless flame suit is on) but the stage 2 doesn't seem like it would be enough rated at 330 ft/lbs for the 'daily' and 385 ft/lbs for the 'endurance'
    You need to put a target number on torque you are going to make in order to sensibly size and choose a clutch. That's where it begins and ends. Even if it's an edjumacated guesstimate.

I think I said this elsewhere in this thread but with the current Southbend terminology, "Stages" are the increasingly heavy duty pressure plates and then Daily-Endurance-Drag-Etc. are the friction plates that go with it.

The Daily-Endurance technology changes as you go up in stages aka for Stage 1 Endurance = Kevlar but for Stage 2 Endurance = ferramic (IIRC).

You can mix & match if you call them up - aka get a Stage 3 pressure plate with a Stage 2 endurance ferramic friction plate (this is probably what I should have done... doh. hindsight).

FWIW a typical Stage 3 Southbend pressure plate is very driveable IME w/ them on Audis, not a universal-gym leg-press experience at all. The Stage 2 in my 5er is even "light" feeling on the pedal. (again - prob should have gone for a 3... )

Quote Originally Posted by ColdshotM3 View Post
    Also, flywheel suggestions?

- Is it worth it? is there such thing as a chatterless LWFW setup? should I have it balanced before install?

I don't even know whats in the car right now to be honest, either what came from Dinan or its stock... I guess the only way to find out is to drop the transmission right? but I don't want a clutch to show up and then have to wait for a flywheel...why am I up @ 4 am thinking about clutch woes?
    Sure there are LWFW's that dont chatter for instance especially if they are not-very-lightweight. But "chatter" (really gear noise from power pulses bouncing off the lash in the driveline) really depends on the whole combo of FW, tranny, and motor because it's all about harmonics. So one cars setup will chatter like a beyotch with the same weight of flywheel while another won't. Temperature makes a huge difference since the tranny fluid will help to dampen noise when its cold.

The Getrag 420G tranny in both my cars seems to be famous for making a crapload of noise w/ LWFW. Hell the M3 chatters a wee bit with the stock setup and they are notoriously loud w/ LWFW. And w/ the JBR LWFW on my 540 w/ the same tranny, it's pretty very loud when the tranny is hot. Civilians stare at me and think my car is a junker that is about to puke a rod when the 540 is really hot and idling in neutral w/ the clutch out. Kinda just amuses me but if the wife had to drive the car regularly she would HATE it.

On the other hand I have friends with LWFW's on other cars that are virtually silent and you don't notice a thing. I kinda wish I'd had my assembly balanced before mounting but can't say how much difference it would make not having done a comparison... maybe it would help, maybe none.

If you are really fussy about having some chatter noise, then either go with a "medium weight" flywheel, or stay stock. If you go LWFW and still want to minimize noise, be sure you get a sprung hub, makes a real difference also (separate option to above - you have to make sure you tell Southbend to send you a sprung hub for LWFW or they'll send you a solid - guess how I know... ) and then think about balancing.

All that said I am 100% glad to have the LWFW on the V8 - it transforms the personality of the motor significantly... makes it an entirely different driving experience.

Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    They absolutely do not run cooler. It is only done b/c pressure increase on the clamped area.
    It is however bad for the trueness of the objects that clamp these pucks.
    The notches are not for cooling. They aid in letting the gasses out to reduce the chances of fading, just like why they slot and or drill brake rotors and saw cut / mill grooves in pads.
    This is a great succinct summary.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    more than your turbo.
    Yowza. More than I can afford pal, south bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I could get you one for $900 shipped.
    That would be the segmented ceramic. The one that wont fuse.
    SB makes those to order. But im sure there are better deals out there.
    I feel like this might be one of those lessons I need to learn the hard way. I know I am going to regret it, but I'm going to try and frankenstein a clutch. Before i drop 900, I need to know in my heart of hearts that a stg 4 F1 disk, and an actual high clamping PP won't work for whatever TQ a 3.0L, TS s366 will put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvington View Post
    900+ bucks. i've heard several people say "south bend stage 5 and never look back". so, this is me never looking back.
    How much power you putting down? I'm eager to see what you think after the install.

Quote Originally Posted by jparker7 View Post
    Mine was $971 Shipped from Technica. South bend screwed up and sent me some 6 puck disc though so I am working on getting that taken care of at the moment.
    Sucks. Keep us posted on results!

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    This right here is as good read, stumbled on this 4 page article a week ago or so. http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Material.aspx
    lots of good info guys. great descriptions.

so who does the carbon-carbon money is no object for the e36?

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    Rps

My Cars
    e30m3, e30m3, e30m3
    What the hell is F1's website?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MKovac View Post
    What the hell is F1's website?
    Gripforce
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    97 M3, 85 318i
    So my buddy who owns a the shop where I do most of the work on my m3 changed the step height on my jbr flywheel to increase the clamp load when I first installed my clutch. I'm wondering if anyone has tried that. Im running the gripforce stg2 carbon-ceramic clutch and it held great on my stg1 blower setup. I'm skeptical if it'll hold when the wick is turned up (maxing out my blower.) If it still holds, that might be a worthy mod to look into if you have a buddy with a flywheel cutting machine who's familiar with BMWs...please note, I don't recall the change off hand.

Custom Stage 3-ish RMS supercharged E36 M3/4/5
    Frankenstein e30 318i commuter

My Cars
    Race Car, 330Ci, R1200R
    I've been running the UUC Twin Disc Organic for a little over two (2) years now. It will hold virtually anything you throw at it & it's Perfectly Balanced. On the down side, if a stock clutch is a "0" for perfect easy engagement & a pure race clutch is a "10" for pain in the a$$ engagement, the UUC would rate at a "4" for engagement ease. If you have Big Torque, you want this clutch.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...12&postcount=5

Rob43
    Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
    SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
    (DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
    "Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    ^^^Smart Man!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    What blend is that disk? It is feramic on one side (with the V notches at the outer circumference to help with cooling), but what is on the other side? Ceramic?

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    ^^^Smart Man!
    +1

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    What blend is that disk? It is feramic on one side (with the V notches at the outer circumference to help with cooling), but what is on the other side? Ceramic?
    dont know bro..... I got stage 3

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    dont know bro..... I got stage 3
    What flywheel? Stock?

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    When I spoke to SB/DXD last fall, they said their stages have changed and what we used to call the stage 5 is no longer called that. So I am not sure what stage 3 is now. Obviously some sort of feramic/something else combination.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    What flywheel? Stock?
    yes, dual mass

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    yes, dual mass
    Yes! Super quiet with zero flywheel chatter and epic load for quick spooling goodness!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    looks like my SB Endurance plate which is metallic on one side, regular ceramic on the other.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    for everyone looking for a cheaper solution to hold power, I have a 3 puck unsprung clutchnet disc and a act heavy duty pressure plate that I will be pushing to its limits.

should hold 600wtq

keep in mind it will be stiff and a little hard to drive in daily driver situations.

but the car is past daily driver.

My Cars
    1999 M3 S/C, 2001 525iA
    What's everyone's opinions these days?

For those running the fx/grip force/f1 clutch and fw setups- did you choose the lightweight aluminum fw (bfod?)?

1999 M3
    2001 525iA

2007 F150 Sold
    1995 M3 Sold
    1987 528e Sold
    1985 325e Sold

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast