Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality Issues - I need to vent, but in a nice way.

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace

Quality Issues - I need to vent, but in a nice way.

I own a '07 E92 with only 22,150 miles on the odo. I service it by the book. 6 months ago the windshield washer pump went out. That was nearly a $400 fix. The service writer said the new pump carried 2 year warranty. I felt much better. However, I did ask if the washer pump installed in my '99 Ford Contour would fit, since it has never gone out in the 15 years I've owned it. No answer.

Then couple of weeks ago I noticed yet another leak under my beautiful Bimmer. This turned out to be a defective transmission oil pan. Being out of warranty, that set me back over $900. Again, the service writer was proud to inform me that the new pan carried a 2 year warranty. I smiled, then asked him if BMW had considered buying transmission oil pans from Ford, since my 15 year old '99 Contour has never sprung a leak. No answer.

Okay, my airport car, the Ford Contour, is no where close to being the ultimate driving machine. I've neglected it, and I'm paying for that now, trying to get the emissions working better. However, it has never had any issues with things that shouldn't go phooey.

I sent an email to BMW NA asking for monetary assistance. They have been prompt and polite. A formal complaint has been established on my behalf. I couldn't help but use the opportunity to tell him about the defective passenger mirror housing that hasn't worked properly in 4 years. He offered the proper empathy.

I do have a few regrets. The biggest regret would be why I didn't drive the synthetic snot out of it. Maybe some hard miles under warranty would have highlighted all the issues. Issues that no car I've previously owned has ever encountered.

Thanks for listening.

Before I go I have to ask, is it a bad sign when my still working, seat belt arm extends, handing me a maintenance bill instead of the belt? What ever it is, I'm sure it will carry a 2 year warranty.
    Houdini

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Pimpin' ain't cheap, G...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Sounds like you shoulda bought a ford

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Welcome to BMW My entire transmission failed at 22K.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    That pump is ~$70 worth at retail, I have a hard time imagining $300+ in labor. Transmission PAN or the gasket? I don't know the price of a pan but imagine it is expensive when bought from BMW. This isn't your typical failure, it's an inanimate part, more likely an item that was damaged.
    Being a wise ass with the service advisor won't help endear yourself so expect little consideration in the future from him.
    You'd be better served by using an independent servicer, or driving that gem of a fifteen year old Contour.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    I suggest you sell it and drive your Contour since it's apparently a much better car.

ps. Your 7 year old 22k mile car is probably breaking due to LACK of use ... you're barely even using it ...

My Cars
    e36 - 1998 323is
    I sent an email to BMW NA asking for monetary assistance.

Interesting approach.
    1998 323is - m50 intake manifold / 328is exhaust / Shark Injector

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    I don't know about currently, but up until the e46 at least, the transmissions were often built by GM.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    That pump is ~$70 worth at retail, I have a hard time imagining $300+ in labor.
    My wind shield washer pump and grommet cost less than $15 bucks and was a 15 minute install on my e46. Can't imagine them being that more difficult on newer 3 series

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    I suggest you sell it and drive your Contour since it's apparently a much better car.

ps. Your 7 year old 22k mile car is probably breaking due to LACK of use ... you're barely even using it ...
    I use the Contour as a cheap reference. It's not any where near the better car, but what's tanked on my Bimmer has not given up on the Ford.

I agree about the usage. I should have run the tread off those awful run flats a long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

The i should consider myself lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Achtung911 View Post
    Sounds like you shoulda bought a ford
    Why?I Already own one.
    Houdini

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    I don't know about currently, but up until the e46 at least, the transmissions were often built by GM.
    The transmission in my 2009 550 is built by ZF

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The transmission in my 2009 550 is built by ZF
    And those are the two mfrs that BMW flip flops back and forth between for varyious models all thru the 90s and 00s, depending on which maker could get them what they wanted when they wanted it and at the right price.

My wind shield washer pump and grommet cost less than $15 bucks and was a 15 minute install on my e46. Can't imagine them being that more difficult on newer 3 series

Can you guess where that E90 washer tank is located by the shape of it?

We charge about $200 in labor, so still not quite as high as OP's estimate, but it's not a quick, "reach in and grab the washer motor" job.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    z3
    lol, just like PT cruisers with the battery in the fender. Stupid.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    I don't think its stupid, I think its a good use of otherwise wasted space (not the battery, thats pretty stupid). Also makes for more room and a tidier look in the engine compartment.
    ..and its also very easy to access, turn your steering wheel all the way left (or remove your rf wheel), unfasten the rear screws holding the fender liner pull it out of the way and your in.
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    And those are the two mfrs that BMW flip flops back and forth between for varyious models all thru the 90s and 00s, depending on which maker could get them what they wanted when they wanted it and at the right price.

Can you guess where that E90 washer tank is located by the shape of it?

We charge about $200 in labor, so still not quite as high as OP's estimate, but it's not a quick, "reach in and grab the washer motor" job.
    Not an estimate. The part and labor came to $389.
    Houdini

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    That was nearly a $400 fix. ...that set me back over $900.
    As the cost seems important to you, you may consider shopping around for an independent mechanic who won't charge as much.

...the defective passenger mirror housing that hasn't worked properly in 4 years.
    Sounds like this went defective while under warranty, why didn't you get it taken care of then?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Not an estimate. The part and labor came to $389.
    My bad, I was thinking that you would have told them to piss off after hearing that it would cost that much.

My dealer would have charged about $225 labor and $90 part and we're usually on the low side of prices for major BMW dealers, so it's not a horrible price, but it likely could have been had for less.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    As the cost seems important to you, you may consider shopping around for an independent mechanic who won't charge as much.

I'm looking into this. I'm no longer infatuated with me dealer.

Sounds like this went defective while under warranty, why didn't you get it taken care of then?
    My warranty was out when it whacked-out
    Houdini

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    My warranty was out when it whacked-out
    Well, it couldn't have been for the past 4 years then. Sorry, but the math didn't work which is why I responded. Don't mean to nitpick, but if you have an '07 and your problem started in '10, then it must've been under warranty. Guess it started later.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    lol, $400 to replace a windshield washer tank that will probably never be used once - except to test that its working after the $400 repair.

Cant wait to start working on these cars. E36s, E39s, you explain the problem to someone, they want to fix it themeslves. E90s, E60s, people cant even check their own oil! BMW made the owners of these cars SO dependent on mechanics that its absurd! Mechanics who can work on these cars are going to start making some real paper as these cars get out of warranty and start to break stupidly expensive stuff.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Well, it couldn't have been for the past 4 years then. Sorry, but the math didn't work which is why I responded. Don't mean to nitpick, but if you have an '07 and your problem started in '10, then it must've been under warranty. Guess it started later.
    Sorry, I must have the year wrong. All I know is that my warranty was out at the time the mirror housing stopped working properly.
    Houdini

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    lol, $400 to replace a windshield washer tank that will probably never be used once - except to test that its working after the $400 repair.

Wait, wha? Why would you say that? OP lives in Atlanta.People that live in places where it actually rains and snows need to use their windshield washers pretty regularly.

And it was a washer motor, not a tank. I mentioned and showed a picture of the tank to highlight its hidden location and because the washer motor is attached to it.

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    people outside of rainy, snowy areas don't have bugs? I need to move..
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace
    Still waiting to hear back from BMW NA...
    Houdini

My Cars
    11 335i, 01 740i Sport
    Good luck with any good will anything from BMW NA on a 7 year old car. If you're planning on keeping it I'd find a good independent shop for the little things that will creep up over time regardless of miles.
    2011 335i XDrive Coupe
    2001 740i Sport

My Cars
    z3
    Still waiting to hear back from BMW NA...
    You are going to be waiting quite awhile buddy.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast