Thread: 04 325ci Transmission Cold Start Problem?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci

04 325ci Transmission Cold Start Problem?

I recently bought a 04 325ci. It has 78K miles on odometer. This morning when I put it in drive, it would not drive/move forward. Reverse worked just fine, but not drive. I put it in manual shift and it moved when I put it into 1st. After moving a few feet forward I put it back into normal drive gear and it took off fine then. The drive to work was fine from there on. Even after stopping at red lights and such.

After work, it did it again. Manual gear did the trick again but the engine would only rev when I gave it gas when in drive.

Since I just bought it, I recently took the car into a certified BMW mechanic. It wasn't having this issue then. I just wanted them to give the whole car a look over. The transmission oil level was fine and no leaks where found. Everything looked good he said. The only thing they did was some type of fuel injection clean out.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRaider View Post
    I recently bought a 04 325ci. It has 78K miles on odometer. This morning when I put it in drive, it would not drive/move forward. Reverse worked just fine, but not drive. I put it in manual shift and it moved when I put it into 1st. After moving a few feet forward I put it back into normal drive gear and it took off fine then. The drive to work was fine from there on. Even after stopping at red lights and such.

After work, it did it again. Manual gear did the trick again but the engine would only rev when I gave it gas when in drive.

Since I just bought it, I recently took the car into a certified BMW mechanic. It wasn't having this issue then. I just wanted them to give the whole car a look over. The transmission oil level was fine and no leaks where found. Everything looked good he said. The only thing they did was some type of fuel injection clean out.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Try checking your battery, E46 autos are very finicky when it comes to voltage, it may be causing the transmission to misbehave.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci
    Should I check the battery if that was check by mechanic and it showed to be ok? Thanks for responding Youngbimmer.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRaider View Post
    Should I check the battery if that was check by mechanic and it showed to be ok? Thanks for responding Youngbimmer.
    I'm not quite sure I understand. The mechanic said the battery voltage was ok? I'd check it again anyway. If still no dice, look around for GM E46 transmission problems, somebody else may be able to help you in the E46 subforum.