Thread: Lost key, EWS II. Different door and ignition keys?

My Cars
    purple ///m3

Lost key, EWS II. Different door and ignition keys?

When I bought my 1997 328i, it came with 2 keys. One key unlocks the doors and one key started the car. I no longer have access to the keys and I ordered a new master key from bmw and I'm not sure if the key they ordered from the vin will unlock the doors or start the vehicle. BMW told me that they can order the "column" for around $150 an it will match the key that corresponds to the VIN in case the master key doesn't match the ignition. Wouldn't I have to change the entire EWS II system back to original for my car to accept the original ignition key? How can I tell if I have the original EWS system? Can just the tumbler be changed to accept a different key if the original owner transferee the chip to a different key?

Hopefully this is not too confusing. I'm heading to BMW soon as they just got my new master key in. Hopefully it starts the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the key at 4pm yesterday and they called me to say it was in at 9:30am this morning. I thought these keys came in from Germany? It was only $70 too!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xi
    From what I understand there is a distribution center somewhere in Tennessee for these kind of things. As far as I know the other answer would be no on the tumbler. This is the kind of thing that makes them safer than most. Of course no system is perfect.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    If I understand correctly the driver's door(lock) has been changed. The dealer ordered key ought to still start the car but won't open the door if the replacement lock is coded differently. The door lock is a strictly mechanical one so could either be exchanged for another used with another second key required or you may also order the door lock from the dealer by VIN as you did your key.
    "the column" makes no sense. The electronic bits are the EWS, the ring antenna at the steering lock which is dumb and the transponder in the key.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    The key I received works for the door but the ignition just spins with it. I pulled the dme and the vin matches my car. Does that mean that the ews system in my car hasn't been changed, just the tumbler? Maybe the previous owner installed a new tumbler and put the transponder chip in the new ignition key that corresponds to that tumbler? That's all I can think of that makes sense.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 328ic View Post
    The key I received works for the door but the ignition just spins with it. I pulled the dme and the vin matches my car. Does that mean that the ews system in my car hasn't been changed, just the tumbler? Maybe the previous owner installed a new tumbler and put the transponder chip in the new ignition key that corresponds to that tumbler? That's all I can think of that makes sense.

So, the key will turn the lock but nothing happens when it turns. The link to the switch has probably broken, pretty common. Search for threads regarding the "lock housing", it's a well documented repair

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    No, it's not the right key for the tumbler. The door key I lost did the same thing in the ignition, it would just spin. Can the ews system be changed without changing the dme? Can I take out the ignition tumbler without the right key for it? Been trying to pull it out with a bobby pin and I haven't been successful thus far.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I don't understand what "just spin " means

My Cars
    72 2002tii, 87 300 SDL, 91 M5, 95 M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 328ic View Post
    No, it's not the right key for the tumbler. The door key I lost did the same thing in the ignition, it would just spin. Can the ews system be changed without changing the dme? Can I take out the ignition tumbler without the right key for it? Been trying to pull it out with a bobby pin and I haven't been successful thus far.
    I have experienced the spinning ignition. You will need to pull it apart. I think there are 2 flat head screws under the column that essentially drop it down. You should be able to access a spring to reset it temporarily..

- - - Updated - - -

http://bmwcarmagazine.boards.net/thread/19/spinning-ignition-barrel-e36?page=1&scrollTo=138
    WANTED: 18" BBS RCj's

My Cars
    87 325is
    If the ignition tumbler will turn with the key, it is correct. The problem then is with the EWS and/or the ignition lock/switch
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    Thanks for the help, I found that same article a little earlier and I was able to start the vehicle with the new key set next to the antenna ring. I now know that I can replace the tumbler to the VIN number and it everything should work with just one key again.

Problem is, I don't have the right key to get the tumbler in the right position to get it to pop out. Looks like my only option is to drill it out?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to drill a small hole on the bottom of the housing approximately far enough in to be able to push in the locking tab. Hopefully I'll be able to push in the tumbler tab and be able to pull it out. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?
    Last edited by 96 328ic; 03-19-2014 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    Got it out! Just a little hole in the bottom of my ignition housing. Much cheaper than replacing the whole housing. If anyone needs help getting theirs out without having the proper key just pm me

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

:wootwoot

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. You got good advice, I was coming in to tell you to do all those things that made it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    Took awhile, like 3 hours lol. It wouldn't have taken that long had I known that there is a tab on the back of the tumbler that holds it in as well as the gold colored tab on the side of it. I put the end of my needle nosed pliers into the hole I drilled into the tumbler from the bottom of the ignition housing and pushed against it as hard as I could. It finally popped out enough to get a screwdriver inside of the black ring and after pushing on that as well it broke the tab on the back of the tumbler and popped out.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    When I ordered the key for my e38 it took a week to come from Germany and was $216. You got a nice deal and good service!

Glad you got your ignition out.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Congratulate that you solve the problem.